IL-2 Sturmovik Batttle of Normandy released.

NoSG0

The P-51B/C looks sweet!  From what I have read, IL-2 does better in VR than DCS.  With new CPU/GPUs about to come out and new VR headsets due out later this year next year, I've decided to wait for a new system.

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 3

It's not on Steam, but all the other versions are.  Do they try to sell it directly first? :hmmm:

Having just tried car racing on VR, I'd be interested to play planes too :yahoo:

• Like 1

They sell directly first I believe.  They make more $ that way. Supports the dev team better.  They dont loose the Steam cut.

I do the same for DCS as well.  I always buy direct if I can.

I need to see the reviews for the new cpu/gpu's coming out.

Edited by NoSG0

Ahh cool. Not played Sturmovik for years, since 1946 expansion of the first game. How did the cliffs of Dover version and the great battles generation turn out?

Sudden urge to boot up pacific fighters and spend the rest of the day snapping off bits of seafire on the carrier deck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoSG0 said:

I do the same for DCS as well.  I always buy direct if I can.

I get confused with DCS, as you can buy some stuff on Steam, but not others.  My brain hurts.  it's so long since I've even looked at DCS that I can't remember what I have.  I've got quite a few Il2 versions though, and wasn't really aware you could use VR with them.  Project Cars does support it quite well though, and it makes driving a lot more fun, although if I elect for the standard gearbox rather than flappy paddle, I can't find the damn thing! :lol:

Cliffs of Dover has added Tobruk and is testing VR!

Bodenplatte was/is ok, but, hmm. I found it a bit disappointing.

If you have IL-2 1946 version 4.12 and are willing to get unofficial mods you can get the BAT series.  WW1 up to F-14.  Sure it isnt current graphics, but for free it is hard to beat. https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?board=264.0

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 2

Mike,

One of the next things I want to get is the WWI  modules.  It looks and sounds almost too frightening.  IL-2 1946 is not supported in VR.

Edit as for DCS, yes, it can be confusing  re purchases.  I've noticed that they are trying to bring 3rd party devs, but it is important to see the reviews.  Some of the maps in DCS look to be very heavy  on systems.  Syria looks great from what I've read, but the amount of detail is hard on low/mid range systems.

Edited by NoSG0

7 minutes ago, NoSG0 said:

the amount of detail is hard on low/mid range systems.

I've got a decent system, but I don't have all that much time to play (any) games, due to various things, one of which being my son playing all sorts of games from Minecraft to Hot Dogs, Horse Shoes & Handgrenades on it :shrug:

12 minutes ago, NoSG0 said:

Cliffs of Dover has added Blitz and is testing VR!

Seems I've got that one in my library.  I forget half the stuff I've got :blink:

• Like 1

Battle of Normandy is the only one of the IL2 Great Battles Aircraft series I don't own so far and never bought early access, (not really interested in the tank one) I did have to do a big download earlier to accommodate fixes across the board that apparently includes Flying Circus 1 and 2 that is the genre I prefer if I'm honest ... and If I continue to be honest ... still needs a lot of TLC and promises made upheld to make it any where near successful as ROF was IMHO, hope so ... No RoF was not a perfect WW1 Flight Simulator either, but its still superior in many ways to Flying Circus already released Vols 1 and 2 as they stand just now at time of posting.

With more WW1 Flying Circus volumes announced, hopefully they can look at this again more seriously now Normandy is final. The series still needs lots of promised of work in lots of areas, most folk bought these to support the bigger picture WW2 Il2 Great Battles series, LOL I bought the WW2 Il2 Great Battles series apart from Normandy in the vain hope that my and our funding would see some apportioned to the WW1 Flying Circus Great Battles series.

Sorry folks, went off on a tangent there, but feel strongly they should be keeping their promises for WW1 Flying Circus series improvements, careers, maps and lots more bad bugs and I am sure they will before they go off announcing another WW2 new project ... but if they do ... so hope its the Pacific, that would be awesome :)

So with that in mind and even though I'm making cut backs in all Hobby area's just now for obvious reasons, will go buy IL2 Great Battles Normandy final release, budget edition, just now while its still at early access price for a little bit, only difference between budget and premium is two aircraft I'd not fly but could be added later, keen to see this new Normandy map too that encompasses a lot of South England ... apparently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

P-51B Normandy in VR. I hope that the next gen of VR hmd are better.  I am still waiting to see what the AMD GPU will be like.  To be honest I am not happy with the Nvidia 4090, 4080 16gb and the 4080 12gb.  The prices and the sizes of these cards are painful.  I wanted to build a whole system for  under 2k, not just buy a GPU!

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

Yup, 4090's ETC release date tomorrow I think, if its like the 3090 release date it will be frantic, I tried real hard for my 3090 and and had 3 stores in separate tabs, logged in ready to go, all were in meltdown, scalper situation is not so bad now the Crypto fad is tailing off, but the Profiteers will be buying as much as they can to sell on at a higher price no doubt.

Took me about 2 months after 3090 release to get mine, and that was resorting to early morning and mid day checks daily, eventually got mine from Ebuyer for £1600 (original RP was £1400) but the prices kept going up, was offered later on £2500 for mine ... Nutz!

In all honesty my 3090 is still fine, FS2020 is more CPU bound, will skip this gen of cards for sure, maybe the RTX 5090 in 2 years time?  Maybe.

Hearing rumours Nvidia are already gearing up for a 4090 Ti release, hearing this will have 48 GB memory !!

Also buyers of a 4090 need to be looking at possible new cases too, the card is massive, most likely a new PSU as well. If I was buying a 4090 would be looking at a good quality 1500 W PSU to err on safe side inside my busy case, my current 1000 W PSU wouldn't cut it.

Check this out ...

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1

I'm gonna need a bigger house :blink:

Seriously though, I'm not going anywhere near 40XX for now.  I've got a 3080ti in my gaming rig these days, and that will do me for a while.  it also means we won't have to turn on the heating this winter.

I wonder how much the cost of electricity is going to affect the sales of these 600W gulping GPUs?  You're starting to be looking at 1KW/h for your PC if you run everything full-tilt, and that gets expensive quickly over the weeks. :(

• Like 1

I'm still on a RTX 2070, paired with a Ryzen 5 2600x in my main desktop gaming rig. They are going to have to suffice for a number of years. I've just bought a secondary gaming laptop which has a Ryzen 7 5800h APU, paired with a mobile version of the RTX 3070. Decent enough and seems to handle everything. Bought for gaming when travelling.

• Like 1

Der8auer review showing that you can reduce power and still have very good performance.  In his opinion they could have gone with a bit less performance and drawn less power,  letting them make a smaller cooler.  These prices are crazy.  I saw a post for a 4090 Founders listed for 3000 euro. 

I am starting to wonder how these cards will translate into laptops.  I really wanted to go to VR, but, I think I will have to wait more.

Well, perhaps AMD may offer something almost as good for a bit less and better power efficiency. 

Techtesters also does nice reviews.

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

To get things back on topic, I Just had a quick squint on Steam, and it's turned up on there now at full-price, which is £52.99 IIRC.  I'll be waiting for a sale, I think, as I seldom (if ever) buy games at full-price.

3214.jpg?width=620&quality=85&dpr=1&s=no

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like fun, new live stream from 1C Game Studios is out any day now with news of a new theatre maybe?

V1 engine sounds good, quite realistic.

Must go check.

• Like 1