1:48 Trumpeter MiG-3 “naked” - Ready for Inspection

Fantastic, I always love your "naked" builds, it's such a cool idea and the results are always both interesting and aesthetically pleasing. Also always been fond of the mig 3's 'racer' lines.

How do you feel about the wood decalling compared to stencils? It looks to have come out really nicely. The metal panel contrast also works really well. Make more please!😄

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

Outstanding job on that MiG! So, it's on to the Il-2, then, is it? There's a good one for you - not only metal, wood, and linen, but two types of metal - aluminium alloy ('kolchug') and steel armour. Oh well, just a thought.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Fantastic, I always love your "naked" builds, it's such a cool idea and the results are always both interesting and aesthetically pleasing. Also always been fond of the mig 3's 'racer' lines.

How do you feel about the wood decalling compared to stencils? It looks to have come out really nicely. The metal panel contrast also works really well. Make more please!😄

Cheers,

Andy

thanks Ngantek

the "big" difference between the decals and stencil is accuracy, using the stencil you have the "panel" masked and place the stencil directly on/over the area ensuring that the panels are fully covered.

With the decals you need to make a template from masking tape which you then use to cut around to create the "panel", the problem with this is that if you make a mistake cutting around the template it really shows up, you can see a couple of panels where I've made this mistake, creases in the decal can also be an issue if you don't spot them "in time'.

The "good" thing about the wood decals is that you can make compound curves reasonably easily, using a stencil you can't get close contact and therefore the "grain" looks blurred.

Another good thing with the decals is that their not just one colour giving a greater "depth" to the look.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

Outstanding job on that MiG! So, it's on to the Il-2, then, is it? There's a good one for you - not only metal, wood, and linen, but two types of metal - aluminium alloy ('kolchug') and steel armour. Oh well, just a thought.

Regards,

Jason

thanks Jason

I had thought about the Il-2, the Tamiya 1:48 version is very tempting.

Xtreme metal paints have both aluminium (several colours) and both steel and stainless steel, I've used the steel colour for the panel behind the exhaust stacks so the only issue would be which parts of the airframe are steel and aluminium? I'd guess the the steel would have been used around the cockpit for better armour/protection? I'll have to do some research.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

Love it, the naked builds are a really cool idea and that decal plus your excellent natural metal painting really make the whole thing very convincing. I see from your avatar  you've done the Mosquito too, sure I have seen one done like this at Telford- was it you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Love it, the naked builds are a really cool idea and that decal plus your excellent natural metal painting really make the whole thing very convincing. I see from your avatar  you've done the Mosquito too, sure I have seen one done like this at Telford- was it you?

thanks

not me at Telford, my Mosquito is from 2016, doesn't seem that long ago?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

I'm in love with this, the woodgrain detail looks fantastic. This is a great way to break up the monotony of aircraft finishes; I'm coming back to the hobby and one thing I've noticed is how samey a lot of the detailing can be. I like left-field ideas like this, thanks for sharing it with us!

• Like 1