Tamiya 1/35 PzKpfw IV F1

IanC

This is Tamiya's excellent new Panzer IV Ausf F1, completed as a vehicle from 14th Panzer Division in Russia, 1942. I struggled with the photographs on this one - I use an old Canon SX700 and the Panzer Grey (AK Real Colors) appears too light, so I've included a couple of shots taken on my phone to give a more accurate impression.  Tamiya supply three really good figures but as I've used them on other projects I adapted a chap from their German tank crew set. The string tow cable was replaced with an aftermarket item, and I drilled out the MG barrels - everything else is out of the box.  

I hope you like it and happy modelling! 😀

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photos taken on my phone during the weathering process portray the actual colour far more accurately, but the depth of field is a bit limited.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

• IanC changed the title to Tamiya 1/35 PzKpfw IV F1

Very nice Ian, looks a super neat build done very precisely.

Super job with the grey, really creates a nice slightly faded, dry dusty look, the finish on the exhaust looks just right too.

Funny how the two cameras give such different results!

Great modelling,  as ever.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Very nice Ian, looks a super neat build done very precisely.

Super job with the grey, really creates a nice slightly faded, dry dusty look, the finish on the exhaust looks just right too.

Funny how the two cameras give such different results!

Great modelling,  as ever.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl - yes, it's only really with this dark grey scheme where the difference is so marked. Fortunately, most of my German AFV builds are Dark Yellow!   

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Lovely job. Have got this kit in the stash and the 'F2' version is currently sat on the shelf of doom awaiting me getting round to finishing it 🙄

Regards,

Steve

Cheers Steve. So far I've managed to resist The F2 - hard, because I really like the Afrika Korps scheme and the figures are especially good. I'm also hoping Tamiya re-do their Ausf H and J models at some stage.  

28 minutes ago, daront said:

Great OOB build and weathering. Very nice.

Thank you very much!

11 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

That is another cracking model Ian. Well done indeed.👏👍

Thanks Stef. 👍

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Beautifully done. To my eyes, the earlier, washed out and very dusty, grey looks better.

But it's your model, your decisions. Thanks for sharing it tho.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes, a lighter grey does look more acceptable on a model - scale effect, maybe.

13 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Really nice, clean and tidy build with just the right level of toning and weathering to my eyes. Great job.

Many thanks MM..

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work on the lV Ian. Glad that you included the phone photos as it really shows it off well. Even the weathering shows up better.

John.

Thanks John. Appreciate your comment. 

The Panzer grey looks quite right to me in its dusty appearance. Very nice modelling! I also commend you on the perfect rendition of the Leutnant's uniform and colours.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian,

a great job with a classic, I love the treatment you have achieved with the Gray, and the dusty effects. Personally, I like the last photos better, darker but with contrast... I don't know if they are more in line with the real color achieved...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ian,

a great job with a classic, I love the treatment you have achieved with the Gray, and the dusty effects. Personally, I like the last photos better, darker but with contrast... I don't know if they are more in line with the real color achieved...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks everyone.

Francis - yes, the phone pics reflect how it looks in the flesh. The AK paint is supposed to be a reasonable match for the real Dunkelgrau, which was of course very dark. Perhaps a little overpowering on a model, though, unless broken up a bit with dust and dirt!