Bunker On The Beach

Folks

Calling this done, this is my representation of a bunker on the beaches of Iturup  Island in the Sakhalin Chain.  The diorama is based on this image

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/amazing-pictures-of-abandoned-soviet-tanks-left-behind-on-shikotan-island.html?chrome=1

spacer.pngspacer.png

How It Was Done :-

The build was a 1/72 T-54 tank turret from a trumpeter kit and used tile grout to rough up the surface then used Vallejos rust set to paint it, The bunker was foam board built then plastic rod was used to create the rebar showing the conrete was tile grout with deck tan mixed and and then removed from the rebar, with thinned rust paint and an overall grey wash to bring out the detail in the concrete.

The base is a  Asda 10x8 inch photoframe , I used tile grout for the base  with a fine sand flock, I mixed some sand flock with both vallejo matt black and separately deck tan for the land areas. and /epoxy resin with a couple of dots of tamiya clear blue for the water effect, with AKs water effects gel , white foam and Atlantic blue gel sparingly. The washed up wood is just natural twigs mashed to destruction and the rusty wire pickets were plastic rod and fuse wire.

I enjoyed the challenge of this and as always walked away with at least one lesson learned lol

y4mNiYFAFnKBSLlQCo7y-ImRjrjXtb4ToV2SDE2ly4mIfoXZavWomIpYEcY3dO_ZJWujNuYqZMdTw8_Gy4mv8XL8sHc2rgCh-OH5yXrX-y1NPBcVxuroL41ey4mn2O_bQm1I3tbWdQdfGxJESCpFLc-tpOw6QiM9y4mOjrHJQen0EkBWtFjXnSZWcUkgt03B96DekDxOy4mp5j-yZvkMHWANy8VKN_wiOAtqaIpZziV7h7rjy4mxXUOtX6Q-YhrDRdN42XLa0Bjpi7OCJ8Gk_rlry4moH_vnopcQqoo8iijDUy99ei_EztrrTs4Qetpk

Cheers 

Mark 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Now there's a coincidence, I've just finished writing to you on the sunken tank diorama. This is every bit as good I think. I'm very impressed that you post your reference photo each time. That kinda proves that you achieved exactly what you intended - something that rarely happens to me!

It's a shame that the diorama section is so rarely visited, this deserves much wider recognition.

• Thanks 1

Thanks thats very kind of you mate. 😊 

Yeah its important to me anyways to show people what I was trying to achieve and how close I got to it. 

My next diorama build is completely out of my own mind so there won't really be a picture I can show lol

My follow on to that though will have anl source image , am looking at doing a decaying sunken Japanese warplane at the bottom of a lagoon on paulau in Micronesia l, am trying to gather info on it at the moment.

But thanks again for your encouragement and kind words

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is excellent. To my mind you've caught the essence of the reference picture exceptionally well. It looks absolutely realistic.. i can almost smell the seawater and the seaweed. I've done a couple of dioramas for aircraft posing.. quite simple stuff really. nothing as good as this though! Thanks for showing this. It's exceptional in my humble opinion. 

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2022 at 09:29, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I think this is excellent. To my mind you've caught the essence of the reference picture exceptionally well. It looks absolutely realistic.. i can almost smell the seawater and the seaweed. I've done a couple of dioramas for aircraft posing.. quite simple stuff really. nothing as good as this though! Thanks for showing this. It's exceptional in my humble opinion. 

Regards, Andy

Cheers mate, I appreciate it, where can I find pics of your dioramas? Am sure they are excellent 🙂

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Cassidy said:

Cheers mate, I appreciate it, where can I find pics of your dioramas? Am sure they are excellent 🙂

My Pleasure Sir!

Here's the Link to my P-47 Thunderbolt. in a diorama. I hope you like it! It's quite simplistic compared to your excellent efforts! 

Regards, Andy

On 30/09/2022 at 10:36, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

My Pleasure Sir!

Here's the Link to my P-47 Thunderbolt. in a diorama. I hope you like it! It's quite simplistic compared to your excellent efforts! 

Regards, Andy

Pfft Andy, I have to disagree mate, if I could produce the diorama you did mate, I would be well chuffed, the attention to details on it are really cool, and am well jealous that you have a knack for chipping that I cant seem to master.  Can I ask how did you achieve the shadow at the edges of each paving block, is it pre-shaded or is it done afterwards? 

Regards 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mark Cassidy said:

Pfft Andy, I have to disagree mate, if I could produce the diorama you did mate, I would be well chuffed, the attention to details on it are really cool, and am well jealous that you have a knack for chipping that I cant seem to master.  Can I ask how did you achieve the shadow at the edges of each paving block, is it pre-shaded or is it done afterwards? 

Regards 

Mark 

Thank you for the compliments on my modest work Mark .

For the Rozzie Geth baseboard i did the shadows using 3B soft lead pencil, thinned down Black primer over Grey primer.

1. I marked out each paving 'block' with 3B pencil. and a ruler.
  2. Using a wetted finger I smudged randomly some of the pencil block lines.
  3. Using the fine 0.4 needle in my airbrush I sprayed the shadow lines using Black Valejo Primer thinned about 75% paint + 25% thinners. i sprayed at 30lbs and tried to get a mist effect spraying close up following the block lines and then a second pass over each line from about 10 cms. also randomly selected blocks had a spry in the centre.
  4. i got some thinned down red+ brown poster paint and added this to some lines using a large artist's brush
  5. Rubber marks and oil stains i used a 5B lead pencil and smudged them with wetted finger.
  6. Final Highlights were oversprayed using Valejo Grey Primer to tone down anything i thought was too dark.

It took half a day to make. Glad you like it! The key to the above method is a gradual building up of the shadows and a general 'random-ness' 

Regards, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate, I like the way you described it, lonely decay, thats what I was trying to capture I wanted to try and capture the remoteness of the Kurils, I dont imagine many people will have visited there, in contrast to say bunkers in Normandie or the Maginot Line. 

Regards 

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Remus389 said:

The water is excellent, the turret I think needs some more TLC. Maybe a wash to make it look dirtier, it looks plastic now.

Yeah i agree it's not quite there, think I should have gone heavier with the grout process to really make it like rough textured 

Cheers

• Thanks 1