Tamiya 1:48 scale P-38J "SCAT II"

welcome along and with awesome and soon to be very popular build.

I do like those schemes, it's interesting to see the variation on the one aircraft over time.

Good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

And so it begins :)

7C441C45-20F1-400E-831B-C7AC756DB6B0

66A6B876-1D06-4857-8FCF-8806C6E2FF6B

I am planning to build this one out of the box with the exception of the aftermarket decals.  The Tamiya cockpit is pretty great as-is.  I added a few little wires on the side panel, but most of this will barely be visible anyway.

• Like 13

Having built a Tamiya P-38 kit before, the connection between the upper and lower main fuselage is the step I was most worried about getting right to minimize the amount of work required to prep for the bare metal finish later.  There are a couple seams that will be very visible if not gotten right.  Fingers crossed that things will look good when the clamps and tape come off.

5C1D33EA-7364-46B7-990E-7896594347C8

• Like 9

that Pit does look awesome, nice work.

I have been playing with my one (and have done a bit to her) and I was amazing just how well everything fitted. But you are right with some care most of the joins will completely disappear, will be interesting to how yours come out.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Rib Man said:

Work continues on the 2 booms.  One boom done, and I feel like I have already assembled half a Spitfire.

I know the feeling. I recently finished the booms for my H-1 GB project.  Looking forward to seeing your NMF finish.

Don

Great progress!! Those joins look pretty good.

I've just closed up the booms on mine, am amazed at just how detailed the wheel wells are and how nicely  it all goes together.

• 1 month later...

Making some progress on the painting.  It looks pretty good if you don't look too close.  This was my first effort at a bare metal finish.  I've definitely learned some lessons for the next time (keep the area much cleaner and free from dust, thin the paint some more, maybe don't airbrush outside when it is 3 degrees C, etc.)  I was pretty happy with the Vallejo metallizer paints.  I used aluminum, dark aluminum, and dull aluminum colors sprayed over their black base.  Hopefully somewhere on my table I will find a broken machine gun barrel.

0B5CB46F-D75F-469E-B9D8-C6CAC40E0204

B03521B2-7B78-4A21-AE49-16272CE6644B

• Like 6