HMS Surf - S-Class submarine, Starling Models 1/350

robgizlu

• 3 weeks later...

Before you begin rigging using the supplied etch formers that originate from the periscope "Bridge" assembly, it's necessary to reduce the height of the column supporting the Type 291W air-warning radar.  it will catch on the "catenary" otherwise.

2022 10 25_4313

Here's a pic showing it lowered by approx 2mm to give space for the Catenary

And if we are talking about this - then we are talking about rigging.  This would have been really difficult with lycra thread so it's back to my currnet Fave stuff - Modelkasten wire 0.15.  Jon @Faraway has been getting great results so i feel vindicated ;)

There was some shouting and general foot stamping but I managed to get to this...

2022 10 25_4310

Which I was actually really pleased with though against the water background, it's hard to see.  The basic bow and stern wires are relatively easy and "sag" with the wire which is nice.  What's hard is the accessory wires that come from cradles.  I pondered just how they shoudl sit and in truth it's not exactly clear from the instructions.  In relaity i suspect there were variations in layputs specific to differnet vessels and the structure is well seen in the colour pics whichare shot from above.  I made my own cradle to replicate that seen in the HMS surf photos for the AFT cradle - comme ci

2022 10 25_4312

The etch triangle was from a rigging strut from a White Ensign Walrus PE set.  I glued the wires to the cradle and attached the wires with some Super glue gel that allows movement for several minutes before setting, and then gently lifted the cradle to touch and stick to the main wire

2022 10 25_4311

You can see it here.  For the bow arrangment - I used the PE Starling offering.

Nearly there - I'll paint some figures and get some RFI pictures shot.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 11

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Jon @Faraway has been getting great results so i feel vindicated ;)

You are right @robgizlu I’m finding using this fine wire does give good results. 
I wouldn’t say it’s any easier to use, but the best part of using it, is that it doesn’t put any strain on the parts it is joined to.

Jon

• Like 2

So with RFI here

Here's the close-down Summary

Starling Models S-Class submarine 1/350 - Comes as a complete package build, moulded resin hull with 3D printed conning tower and weapons together with an etched PE fret and decals.  The hull is just beautifully moulded with no flaws. impressive considering the number of indented vent holes.  The 3D printing is state of the art and the Conning Tower is proof of the astonishing level of detail we can now expect and take for granted.  Same with the weapons.  Mike McCabe is a modeller and it shows with duplicates of key pieces on the etched fret abd 3D printed items.  We all screw up - if you do there's a save for all but the biggest pieces :clap2: The Decals allow you to choose between any of 32 vessels.  Trust me to pick HMS Surf that had unusual and atypically sized small pennant numbers!  In many respects modelling this as a waterline model masks the rest of the hull that several of you quite reasonably suggested I should present as a mounted model so as to show the vessel's full lines.  I look forward to seeing others models that display the whole vessel.  Thoroughly recommended

Painting - Hull was primed with Alclad - and the hull and deck with Colourcoats - what else?  I cover the issue with the blue on the saddle tanks within the text.  "PB10" was not formally listed by the Admiralty until Oct 1944 but a dark blue was used extensively both in the Med and in Home waters well before.  We know it was darker than B15 - my acrylic mix was a best guess.  After a Klear coat light weathering was done with oils and Citadel Nuln oil acrylic wash was used to highlight the numerous vent holes.  There is a prominent dividing line in the original pics between deck and vertical sides .  I represented mine in "Non-slip grey" which was not sufficient of a contrast with the 507A deck.  Were I to do it again I would you use black.

Rigging - I used Modelkasten 0.15gauge metal wire which allows a dgree of droop.  It is IMHO much easier to use than lycra thread.  It would have been very hard to fit the accessory rigging highlighted in the text using Infini thread.  It was still fiddly and demanding.  Sadly the Modelkasten product is hideously expensive and not easy to get hold of.

Figures - Starling's 1/350 RN figures that painted up really well and give a definite sense of scale.  They are howeveer very problematic to free from their 3D printing supports

Base - My now standard treatment, Styrofoam base with minimal surface sculpting using layers of Liquitex Acrylic medium and then painted with acrylics and finished with multiple layers of Liquitex Gloss varnish.  Label was from Nameitplates.co.uk that I know a lot of you now use, with good reason.

My first sub in 1/350 which I enjoyed enormously

Thanks for all your comments and support, especially to @dickrd for his patient guidance

It's a wrap

Rob

• Like 9

Wow, that's a superb result. I have always resisted the temptation to build submarines because I thought they were 'too simple' (and I suppose the inner Yorkshireman in me thought submarine kits were consequently poor value for money), but your build log has certainly proved they can be very satisfying and indeed quite challenging projects. Very tempted to try one! 

Thanks for posting this instructive and inspirational build.

Will 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Wow, that's a superb result. I have always resisted the temptation to build submarines because I thought they were 'too simple' (and I suppose the inner Yorkshireman in me thought submarine kits were consequently poor value for money), but your build log has certainly proved they can be very satisfying and indeed quite challenging projects. Very tempted to try one! 

Thanks for posting this instructive and inspirational build.

Will 

‘Too simple’

My thoughts exactly, but after watching @robgizlu build take shape.......

Jon

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Late to the party as usual, subs not really being my thing, black boring looking tubes, but then again, it was a @robgizlu build so come on, lets have a quick squizzey, which took a bit longer than I intended but was most enjoyable. Not black, well not all of it, quite colourful in fact with some superb detail & seascape work, as I should have expected. I'll know better next time, thanks for an interesting read Rob, that is a wee beaut. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:15 PM, stevehnz said:

Late to the party as usual, subs not really being my thing, black boring looking tubes, but then again, it was a @robgizlu build so come on, lets have a quick squizzey, which took a bit longer than I intended but was most enjoyable. Not black, well not all of it, quite colourful in fact with some superb detail & seascape work, as I should have expected. I'll know better next time, thanks for an interesting read Rob, that is a wee beaut. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve - that is really kind.  I had the same idea about Subs but the colours on this especially in the original photos really caught my imagination.  I see today that it's featuring on Mike McCabe's new online magazine to be publlished in the new year which is really gratifying.

Regards

Rob

• Like 5

I've been reading this build with fascination to the point where I've just receive Starlings T-class model - the T class has fascinated me ever since I saw a bow-on shot and thought it looked a lot likes ome sort of mechanical sea monstrer :) Now I need to start researching paint etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seadog said:

I've been reading this build with fascination to the point where I've just receive Starlings T-class model - the T class has fascinated me ever since I saw a bow-on shot and thought it looked a lot likes ome sort of mechanical sea monstrer :) Now I need to start researching paint etc.

I agree - the bow shape is compelling.  Looking forwards to seeing this emerge.  I've searched the image files and curiously they don't seem to have had the range of camouflage schemes that the S-Class had.

Season's greetiings

Rob

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

I agree - the bow shape is compelling.  Looking forwards to seeing this emerge.  I've searched the image files and curiously they don't seem to have had the range of camouflage schemes that the S-Class had.

Season's greetiings

Rob

I found one shot of one with light upperworks but that seems to be about it. For the moment I'm still struggling with my Vosper, won't get to this till after christmas I imagine...:) and Season's Greetings to you too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...