F-4J Showtime 100 stencil question

Red Dot

hi all,

I am soon to start making a 1/32 model of F-4J Phantom "Showtime 100". My question is what colour would the stencils have been (i think black) and would they have been solid lettering or "broken" stenciled type?

Thanks for any help

Andy

Hi there

My own reflexion consideration and I bet valid for late Vietnam USAF F-4E, USN J  and IDF AF Yom Kippur War is that all those planes were new or almost new recently delivered from McDonnall Douglas so they had to had all the stencils

Regards

Armando

• Like 1

Thanks both of you but it doesn't quite answer the question.

If the aircraft were new, then that implies they had complete letters in each stencil, not broken lettering.

Any close up pictures would help, even one.

Andy

Someone recently posted a link here to a massive pdf stencil placement guide by Fündekals - I guess that should be some help. I downloaded the document on 21 July, but I guess you may find it quicker if you go straight to their site rather than searching for the thread with the link.

• 3 weeks later...

They didn't necessarily stay "new" too long. By even early 70s, F-4J's could've already gone through depot. 

For 155800, depends what time period you're covering. The 1972 version of 155800 wouldn't have the full original McD factory data stencils by that time.

The two b/w pics posted earlier show different periods and the data/stencils between the two pics aren't the same. Notice the locations, quantity, and BuNo/Type style, ejection warnings, rescue, etc are all different.

The pic taken on the ground (1969) is when it still carried the original full McD manufacturer stencil/panel markings (the type provided by Fundekals) - these would be gone after first repaint.

The inflight pic (1972) has far fewer stenciling and presumably has gone through a repaint by then, I'd suspect it has some form of open letter stencil (USN had variations) but not complete application of everything.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Super answer Ziggyfoos. I also notice the difference in the number of stars on the fuselage side.

It has made up my mind that i will go with the open type stencils as i want to depict the airframe at the time of the shoot-down of the MiGs.

cheers

Andy