Which Paint Brushes?

Steve147

I'm hoping I've placed this post in the right place, if not, apologies (would someone direct me to the right place?).

I need to purchase some new paint brushes.  I mostly build 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft, 1/35 military, and a few various scale boats.  Can someone recommend a suitable paint brush set that will include brushes that cover large areas (e.g. plane wings and fuselage, boat hulls, etc) and for painting finer details (e.g. figures, wheels, etc.), and all things in between.  I do have a set that I bought off of Amazon, but the brushes are quite coarse and do not give a smooth finish.  The ones I'm using at the moment are ones which came with a couple of starter sets (Revell & Airfix), a couple years back, but are now starting to wear a bit thin.

I'd rather buy a complete set than individual brushes.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt if it is really worthwhile buying a complete set as you are unlikely to use a number of whatever brushes you get. It will be a false economy in my view. For various reasons you will have buy replacements at a different rate.

Key is to match your brushes to the paint. Acrylics and enamels brushes are different. I use ammo-mig paints and investing in their brushes has improved my finishes no end.

Last tip is use both your local model shop and also a local art suppliers if you have them. I have found the local art shop very helpful and knowledgeable regarding brushes.

1 hour ago, Steve147 said:

I'd rather buy a complete set than individual brushes.

What you paint with is also important.

I use acrylics,  and from recommendation on here, small flat brushes are really good, say 6 mm wide.  I find this works really well, much much better than a round brush

Acrylics also clog brushes fast, so I use brush soap to clean them up, so it's a hard life for really expensive high quality ones.  

If you want OK but not super, (my main requirement)  The Works do sets.

I recently got this for £3 (now £5)

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/acrylic-brushes/crawford-and-black-assorted-paint-brushes-pack-of-12/5052089314283.html 

as it has several of them, and they work fine.  

5052089314283_Z.jpg?sw=400&sh=400&sm=fit

You can always cut down the long handles

there is also this

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/acrylic-brushes/boldmere-10-piece-brush-set---round-and-flat-gold-taklon/5052089215726.html

5052089215726_Z.jpg?sw=400&sh=400&sm=fit

I got some for my daughter, and nabbed the small flat,  but for my use the first set had more of what I often use. 

In comparison a set of Airfix flat brushes are £8 and only have one really useful size.

The others are OK, and it's always worth having cheap brushes for more demanding tasks of brushes,  oil washes, applying pastel chalks, drybrushing and for glue, and the real killer, Mr Surfacer. 

For certain uses, expensive brushes will be way better, say fine oil paint work,  but you would only really want a couple of small ones for that.  They are expensive, but will last. 

The above are cheap enough, cheap enough I'd suggest that you are not going to be really out of pocket if they don't do for your main requirements, and handy for  secondary abuse tasks if you don't like them.

this is their full list.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/c/art-and-craft/art-supplies/paint-brushes?tsz=40#5052089327108

HTH

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Acrylics also clog brushes fast, so I use brush soap to clean them up, so it's a hard life for really expensive high quality ones.  

I recommend Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer for cleaning acrylics paint from brushes. It does a marvelous job. I get it from a local art store.

Be careful thought, while I presume this is true:

• Emits a low amount of Vapor and is non-toxic
  • Biodegradable, water-soluble, non-flammable and non-abrasive

The stuff is brutal to plastic--don't accidentally brush it on your model! 😱

• Like 1

Every brush toolkit should have at least one high quality detail brush, and my suggestion (as usual) is a Windsor & Newton Series 7 number 000. I came upon these by accident and have been using them now for 10-14 years. I’ve still got the original I bought, and have replaced it only to have it run alongside its replacement for several years now. 

They’re usually about a tenner, but I have picked a few up when they’ve been cheap.  Currently I have 2 waiting in the wings, and wouldn’t be without them. They always retain their point, and if the base clogs eventually with paint, I dab it side on in a bit of cellulose thinners, dabbing off the excess and dirt side-on on some kitchen towel. Repeat until it’s pretty clean, then swish it in water, and rub it gently in some brush cleaning soap. You can leave that on for a little while for a deep clean, or rinse it off and dry it on towel. Swish, clean, dry again until you’re happy. Your S7 should look like new again. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Marlin @Paul821 @Troy Smith @dnl42 @Mike

Many thanks so far.

I should have mentioned that the paints I use are Acrylics, Enamel and vey occasionally, Lacquer, so I'm after brushes that would ideally be suitable for all 3 types.  The paint I use depends on what the kit manufacturer recommends, and whether I have that particular paint make. 

If it helps, I mainly use Tamiya, Humbrol (mainly enamel), Revell (mainly enamel), Vallejo, and MrHobby/MrColor, and occasionally Life Color, and a couple of other makes (Ammo-Mig and Italeri).