Airfix 1/72 Rescue Launch

Gisbod

Thanks Terry, Dave & Rob!

I’ve pretty much finished the build, just waiting for the painting to start.

I found some wire mesh on the web for the scramble nets and I’m pretty pleased with it, better I think than I could have done with thread/ string!

3-F48-D72-E-B18-B-42-A2-A9-C9-CC3966-CF0

7-AF2285-B-222-F-49-E5-9-B7-C-AB597983-D

And here’s where I’m at so far…

6-B52-A748-C235-4-E04-8-C18-766-CCB30043

40-A59-E85-1-C2-F-4-F0-E-895-C-459-A9-EB

171-D9-BF0-231-D-4-A33-9-C06-9-EC61-B7-A

Happy Sunday,

Guy

ps I’ve got some paint masks on the way for the markings. The decals I’ve seen on built models seem a little translucent over the dark  colours.

• Like 19

Little further on..

I’ve painted the bulk of her, the turret glazing was tricky, and even if it was done to perfection, it’s still thick clunky plastic from the 70’s, but looks decent enough at distance. 

I seem to have a myriad of detail bits to complete, so this stage of the build seems to slow down somewhat…

Guy

37-AC9-A16-29-B4-4-CF4-8-E33-B2-E97-E8-A

• Like 15

Looking tremendous Guy - love that net - do you  mind sharing the source?  One of the most effective renditions that I've seen.  In reality they had a horizontal top pole that the net hung from and a bottom one that weighted it

images (1)

Not a great pic but that shows the true arrangement.

I've been waiting patiently for this.............to use in a Dio with a Whaleback

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page114.html

Keep it coming

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Yep, course, no problem. Just a generic thing I found on eBay, looks good to me and is malleable. I might take the tie ropes off and replace with smaller ones. Mine look too large I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143628358198?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JVvjmcxQQhO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SVOENIycSnO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Great picture, very helpful, and yes, I get the two poles, I may try and add them. Good tip.

Hope that helps,

Guy

• Like 1

Wow, your cracking on with this one Guy, really starting to look the part.

You may have said, but are you doing a sea scape or freestanding on the plinths?

On 9/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, Courageous said:

Tempted to restart yours Terry...

Don't get too excited Stuart, the Vosper has only just been on the go for 4 years so far (and a mere 10 pages), although I do hope to become a serious competitor with Steve @Fritag and his Hawk builds one day. Sadly I think I'm way off that in the elapsed time/page count equation that measures true masters ..........😉 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Terry1954 Thanks Terry, I’m making a wooden plinth, I actually have yet to do a seascape! 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:43 PM, Modelholic said:

Could you squash the net down a bit? It looks too much like a rolled up fence to me.

Tom

Yep, I was thinking the same Tom, I’m yet to fiddle with them, but will at some point…

I’ve been trying to make the protective cladding around the cabin areas a bit more sexy - using 0.5mm rigging rope, the mouldings depict the indentations where they were tied, so just filled them with the rope. I’m sure it’s overscale and you wouldn’t have seen them like that, but it does look better to me!

F349-C487-1730-408-C-AC6-A-C84-F52021-DE

Also, the kit comes with 4 nice figures, but I’m just using one to represent Rob’s Grandfather - Sgt Charles J. Penfold. 

3-D10-D44-D-351-B-481-C-AB68-92-EEA95-A9

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 10

Hmmm, looking at the picture again, I think the main cabin ones look ok, but I think I should have used 0.25mm for the front cabin. Again, looks good to the naked eye, but photography is the devil incarnate!

Guy

• Like 2

Hi,

Busy afternoon masking! Not as bad as I thought it would be and quite enjoyed it 😀

306-C758-B-D4-E6-4741-BE3-C-EC7-D714-B6-

A little overspray, but nothing that can’t be easily fixed…

D99181-E0-A207-4152-B101-239-D87-D2-EA88

8-AE20473-E449-4-B62-AD2-A-E97-AB8-AFB22

And the finished article, I do have masks for the roundels, but I may use something from the decal spares box if I have something similar.

5-E54-C88-C-845-E-4-D56-91-B6-FC82-AA90-

94-D11-A92-4990-46-FF-A306-F00-E1-A22-AB

Quite satisfying!

Guy

• Like 21

Thanks Bill & Terry 🙂

Went for a wander around Lewes today - lots of antique shops and oddly, saw this! 😀

12-D10248-2-CA0-434-A-991-D-D7-B921-CD19

Because of this build I’ve been looking around at other large scale (for ships), and there’s a few 1/72 to 1/35 offerings out there for launches/ MTBs etc… I can feel one calling 🙄 Any recommendations for the best kits? They look very good fun! 

Guy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gisbod said:

there’s a few 1/72 to 1/35 offerings out there for launches/ MTBs

Hi Guy,

Very clean work there 👍

If you feel like 1/48th scale scratch building, check out my MTB and MGB threads.  I have all the artwork for laser frame cutting and the etchings, happy to provide sort of a short kit...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi

Brilliant work and looks very nice so far!

I have one of these to do and wanted to ask what the measurements were for cutting out the front rails please as this makes a huge improvement.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Ben, aka @badger

Thanks, I’m afraid my measurements for the cut outs weren’t scientific.. I matched them to the size of a small chisel I have, purely to make it easier to remove the  plastic from the gaps. So they’re not strictly accurate. I marked the gaps using the chisel as a template, cut down with a scalpel then used the chisel to remove the unwanted plastic.

The mushroom vents are from my spare brass box - a leftover from another ship model - I know not which.

Sorry, I haven’t been much help!

Incidentally, here’s a picture Rob supplied of his Grandfather (with the pipe) on a launch, not sure which type it would have been?

89-F955-F6-5-D10-44-EA-8-A49-9214-E16-F0

Guy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1