Airfix 1/72 Rescue Launch

Gisbod

Hi everyone,

Apologies I’ve been absent for so long, but a divorce, house move, house renovation later, I’ve finally got my workbench up and running…

I’ve obviously got the 1/200 Bismarck to re start but I need to ease myself in a bit first, there’ll be a few 1/72 aircraft to build too (I have this notion of a Battle of Britain collection). However, my new neighbour, Rob (very nice chap) came round and saw my model stash/ workshop and had a request - his Grandfather served in the war and was operational on RAF Rescue Launches and Catalinas - he had a model of each and paints etc stashed away with the intention of building them, but realised he couldn’t do them justice and would never get them started - would I build them for him? Obviously, yes!

So I became the custodian of the venerable Airfix 1/72 Rescue Launch and an Academy 1/144 Catalina. Despite its age (70’s) the Launch doesn’t look too unbuildable? The main thing I’m worried about is the glass turrets, they look a bit dodgy? Any ideas where I could get any aftermarket generally? (if indeed there is any?)

I’m thinking a nice clean build on a wooden base… He’s trying to find out his Grandfather’s units and locations so I could try and make it more personal.

Anything else I should be thinking of? 🤔

Nice to be back, it’s been a traumatic year and I’m craving the sanctuary of my workshop!

C51-D8-CDA-BBDB-4453-AA98-2-E05-E5-C1-EF

92-A18751-720-B-4-F45-8-B48-ED281-DB58-B

And the slightly suspect ‘glass’

9-A039797-A1-E3-4-EC6-BA35-3-E6-F497-D8-

And my new workshop! I’ve been trying to sexy it up a bit and am making it more user friendly for the winter. I’ve replaced the garage door with an insulated and sealed version, double glazed the windows, painted the slightly crumbly brick walls, the ceiling joists are being insulated and plasterboarded as I speak, then a vinyl planking floor at some point. I’ve fitted my high power extractor and am getting a model cabinet to display (nothing fancy, just a freebie), but I’ve never had one before so I’m really looking forward to that! 😀

9-BB3-C1-A0-1-D85-426-B-9537-62-DCB39-A1

Thanks for looking,

All the best,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 29

Guy - Really good to see you back - hope life will continue to settle.

The Good news is that the RAF launch is a really good kit.

The pitfalls are 

1)  The moulded scramble nets that really need some attention

2)  The turrets, though in my opinion not the glazing that will benefit from a dunk in Klear.  Rather the turret surrounds that are moulded "closed" and wrap arounf the bottom of the glazing.  In reality ths was a metal lattice work, which only VERY few wartime photos show was covered by Canvas which is how Airfix depicts it.  Options are drill out the walls to form a lattice  - I've done it, it's possible but time consuming or construct one anew from wire (which I haven't)

3)  The deck rails benefit from cutting away to form a "crenellated" appearance - check out my MGB40 build to see the details

4)  The ring ariels are challenging but do-able

So far as I'm aware there are no after-market sets, which seems slightly urprising given it's longevit and popularity.  Photo references are truly numerous, come back to me if you aare after something espteric.  There is an excellnt film "For those in peril" which shows them in their prime and majesty

Here's my effort which was the first boat I ever built and got me started on maritime...

Welcome back !

Rob

• Like 13

Thanks Rob,

Ooh yes,

I’ve just looked through your thread before you posted.. wonderful! Some real inspiration there. Surprised also there’s no aftermarket, particularly as it’s been re released so many times.

Will definitely try and find ‘For those in Peril’ it sounds right up my alley!

I may well ask for something more specific if my neighbour comes up with some more information re his Dad.

Looking forward to getting stuck in…

Guy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

.... There is an excellent film "For those in peril" which shows them in their prime and majesty ...

Welcome back!  Luv your workshop.  :speak_cool:

Here's a video link to For Those in Peril.  A great reference as Rob suggested.

Also, another video link for reference -  The Pilot is Safe

Looking forward to following your build.

John

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, Beefy, John and Jeff 😀

23 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Welcome back!  Luv your workshop.  :speak_cool:

Here's a video link to For Those in Peril.  A great reference as Rob suggested.

Also, another video link for reference -  The Pilot is Safe

Looking forward to following your build.

John

Great, thanks John, I settled down to watch ‘For those in Peril’ yesterday afternoon, for some reason was expecting a feature length film, but it was only 2 and a bit minutes long! It was a great reference though. 

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Guy, welcome back. That's a great-looking workshop you've got, and a WHOLE TOP SHELF available for stash expansion. 👍 Good luck with your 'commissioned builds'. Regards, Jeff.

Don’t get too excited Jeff, I just cleared it as the ceiling was being boarded!  😜

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

...for some reason was expecting a feature length film, but it was only 2 and a bit minutes long! It was a great reference though.  ...

Guy,

There is a feature length film (approx. 77min.) with the same title.  Here's a link to the Wikipedia description - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Those_in_Peril_(1944_film)

John

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Guy,

There is a feature length film (approx. 77min.) with the same title.  Here's a link to the Wikipedia description - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Those_in_Peril_(1944_film)

John

Ah great,  thanks John I thought there was one, I’ll see if I can track it down unless anyone has a pointer? 

Guy

Great to have you back Guy.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, Gisbod said:

Apologies I’ve been absent for so long, but a divorce, house move, house renovation later,

I know all to well what you've likely been through, my own divorce managed to screw up my PPL course years ago!

A great subject to pick, I have one in the stash, but as others on here will tell you, I need to finish this beauty first....

Given your new workshop, which looks superb, plus your well establish build rate (and quality) this should be good, and might even inspire me to re-start and finish that Vosper!.

Terry

• Like 1

I build this out the box and enjoyed every minute wish I'd seen the links then

I worked in a place called watchet Somerset and helped crain out what I think was one of these kant remember exactly but it was a Scot pain design 

It was the same guys that had gay archer 

I have a pice of the original diagonal planking with the fabric in-between it

Any way enjoy I'm of to Google to see how they got on

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

@Terry1954 Ah, I’d forgotten about that kit Terry, I don’t think I ever made it, but your build looks good! You definitely need to finish that 😀

I’ve made a small start - basically just glued the hull (nearly said fuselage then 😆) together. Surprisingly difficult! It was a bit warped so fiercely resisted my efforts. I managed to tame it in the end but it took some patience (something I’m not known for). I couldn’t see how to clamp it as it’s all sloping angles 🥴

957-F9-B9-F-1-F7-D-4-F24-8-CB3-21-C05-F6

I reckon it’s going to take some thought planning the painting vs construction order, but it does seem to be a good fitting kit.

I’m trying to find out if there’s a particular colour scheme I can do that would represent his fathers service. He served from 1939-1946 in the RAF Air Sea Rescue based at the Isle of Wight, Stranraer, India (229 ASRU), Sri Lanka, Chittagong and Dhaka. Any ideas or pictures that could help? 

Thanks,

Guy 

• Like 5

Hi Guy,

Nice workshop, its very important to get this stuff right, I'm on 5th iteration (and house) and I'm still improving....

I've been reading up on the RAF ASR service recently and stumbled across this on Amazon The sea shall not have them which is full of footage on ASR launches, might be worth checking out.  Also worth watching is  "One of our aircraft is missing"  which was made during wartime. 

I was considering an RAF Pinnace but my thoughts have now shifted to a beached ASR buoy "Cuckoo" diorama once the R-boote is done.  Anyway, interested to see how this goes

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:47 AM, Gisbod said:

Ah great,  thanks John I thought there was one, I’ll see if I can track it down unless anyone has a pointer? 

Guy

Hi Guy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-Peril-DVD-David-Farrar/dp/B001TJKVMS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2TN627U5IVVVN&keywords=for+those+in+peril&qid=1662885480&sprefix=For+those+%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-6

It often springs up on the Talking Pictures channel 

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Made the nets on a homemade jig and used the smallest marine modelling thread I could find, all in the WiP if you fancy a read.

Stuart

Ah thanks Stuart, sorry haven’t had a chance yet to go through that - will do!

So no options on colour schemes/ boat numbers for the locations mentioned? 

Thanks,

Guy

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Finally some more progress… Thanks to the peer pressure on here, I’m adding extra work 🥴 I’ve done the crenellations on the rails and removed the moulded scramble nets. I’m not planning on ‘knitting’ new ones, that may be beyond my skill set! So I’m relying on finding some kind of flexible mesh.. any pointers?

Just trying to work out now if to add the glazing after painting or not and the construction vs painting schedule.

674198-A6-BBFA-4-D63-881-F-171-AB1694-F9

B9-B7-DA15-D0-B1-4605-BCDC-0-E00-B1399-C

And my Neighbour, Rob has just dropped me off this excellent reference book…

EFB1-EF4-D-9-DB1-4-C2-B-9-EBD-5287563-EB

Cheers

Guy

• Like 6

Steaming along now…

Here’s the main cabin area. The plan is to paint then glaze, hopefully that will be the path of least resistance!

81-A18-B2-A-3179-479-E-AA1-D-784597-BE01

I haven’t decided about whether to expose the frames around the glass turrets yet. I’d prefer them without the canvas covers but it’s just whether I can do that option justice.

Here’s the Oerlikon. I’ve filed down the shield a tad and added the sight…

4-A50-B1-B5-D2-B7-4431-A67-D-8-ADF25-DFB

I’m not happy with the mast, mines already bent and it’s very flimsy, I’m hoping to use monofilament so it’s got to be rigid for that so I’m planning on making a new one with brass…

E4-E788-A4-116-D-4-BF4-A301-095-C223-B72

Thanks,

Guy

• Like 6