B-17G Queenie: HKM 1/48 with MagicScaleModelling Light and Sound

I found this by coincidence on a certain auction site in Germany and won the auction at about half the original price:

spacer.png

After one month of daily work it looked like this:

spacer.png

Intermediate steps:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The MSM kit contains all the necessary cabeling, lights (interior, position and landing lights), speakers, the circuit board (programmed and with recorded sound). The circuit board is supposed to be positioned in the rear part, behind the waist gunner`s position, but I could not squeeze it in there, I had to use part of the gunner`s room. That is why I did not put lighting in there. I managed to ruin one of the tiny electric motors but the guys from MagicScaleModelling sent me a replacement free of charge! The electric installation is relatively easy, it is plug and play. No soldering required.

It takes a lot of patience and testing, but in the end it works fine.

spacer.png

When you switch power on, the aircraft will run through the start up and check process: interior lights, position lights, landing lights will be on in sequence, then the engines will start, one after another with the original sound.

All markings except for stencils and nose art were spayed on using Montex masks.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

I uploaded a video, maybe you can watch it using this: https://sendvid.com/oyexajb5

Would I use a kit from MagicScaleModelling (https://www.magicscalemodeling.com) again? Yes, definitely! I am thinking about ICM`s A-26. It is in my stash and I am sure it will have light and sound, too.

Thanks for looking!

Volker

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

I never saw the magic scale parts till now. They sure took the time to engineer this, only thing needed is the smoke. Wonder where you can but the motors themselves? or what they are called to look them up.

• Like 1

How cool is that!!!

Too much fun

I like it for a bit of theatre and of course the build and finish were excellent

Thank you for posting something very different and unique

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello Volker,

This is a remarkable achievement👍, and you make me envious with the use of this MagicScaleModelling animation kit.

Will I ever do it? :hmmm:
Congratulations on the overall painting which is very well done. :thumbsup:

What a beautiful bird you have made there.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

What a unique build with the MagicScale addition.  It is something that makes the model come to life for non-crazy modelers that normally look at a finished build and comment "That's quite nice, but aren't you too old to be playing with toys?"

• Like 1

Very impressive! I have just started Tamiya’s 1/48 P-47, and plan on installing MSM’s engine & sound kit. It’s good to see you succeeded with motorizing four engines, I only need to do one! Question: Did you have to go through the propeller balancing process in your build?

- Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billn53 said:

Question: Did you have to go through the propeller balancing process in your build?

I had thought about that before too. But it is definetly not necessary, the prop only weighs a few grams and will spin smoothly. You just have to be careful to align the electic motor (and the prop shaft) in a 90 degree angle to the aircraft cowling. But that is only for the looks, the prop will spin anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful work but for some reason I cant get the video to work. 

Please try again. It got more than 150 views, so it should work.

10 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Please try again. It got more than 150 views, so it should work.

I did this time it worked, 99% sure it was on my end of the connection. Sometimes during peak usage my internet cannot cope and wont allow things like this to play.

• Like 1