Fireball XL-5

SallysDad

Have you wondered about the "real" dimensions of this ship, how engines work, speeds, power supplies.... ? 

I was never able to find out anything about the Fireball. 

So, please feel free to speculate with no limits.

Thanks.

Randolph

Way way back when I were a lad in short trousers and single figures (probably early 1960s) I built one from a kit.  It was fairly basic and I can't remember who produced it (possibly FROG but I can't swear to it) but it had a neat detachable nose-cone and was a pretty fair reproduction.  I would guess it was about 10 inches long.  Anyone here have any knowledge of it?

Memories...

12 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Way way back when I were a lad in short trousers and single figures (probably early 1960s) I built one from a kit.  It was fairly basic and I can't remember who produced it (possibly FROG but I can't swear to it) but it had a neat detachable nose-cone and was a pretty fair reproduction.  I would guess it was about 10 inches long.  Anyone here have any knowledge of it?

Memories...

I too had one around the same time, dad bought it from local newsagents at top of the street.

Yes, he's right. A box of model bits cost me 1.50 about five years ago. The XL5 was missing the nose cone and one wingtip sponson.

I sent it away to another BM member and he reproduced the missing parts. So I have two. The repaired original and a resin copy.

IIRC The 'real one' was supposed to be over 300 feet long. The series was set in the year 2062 BTW (I looked it up).

Here you go..

5Nqk4aM.jpg

With a Dinky Eagle for a size comparison. This one is in the house. The copy lives in the manshed.

BznAPTO.jpg

The replacement nose cone, I think, was moulded from a large drop tank. 

Yes, I really must get the duster out! Cheers, Pete

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, he's right. A box of model bits cost me 1.50 about five years ago. The XL5 was missing the nose cone and one wingtip sponson.

I sent it away to another BM member and he reproduced the missing parts. So I have two. The repaired original and a resin copy.

The replacement nose cone, I think, was moulded from a large drop tank. 

Actually a plunge mould using 1/48 Flanker and F-4 Phantom radar nosecones for depth and diameter. I still have one of the two resin plunge plugs.

• Like 1

Blimey, I never thought I'd see one of those again.  I don't remember mine looking anything like that good though!  (unsurprising as I was in single figures when I built it).

• Like 1

When I was a kid, Fireball XL-5 was my favorite TV show; just a year or so after I started watching, I was given the toy set of it from an older kid. I loved it! Sometime later, I don't remember how long, I came home from school, to find out my mom had gone through my things, and had given away some things, that among them. She was always donating things, my toys, books, marbles...it's probably why I'm such a nostalgia nut for things of my past! Over the years, I searched for and bought those things that I missed, including that. I'm retired now, but I still get a kick out of it, and remembering.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got one of those resin repop kits as well, along with a larger resin kit from UNCL.

What is stopping me from building either kit is that I'd need to scratch build the launch gantry/ramp :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I wonder if they still have the moulds?

Afraid not. AFAIK, both the XL5 moulds and the Stingray kit are long gone. SHame about that...