1/125 Type XXI sunken sub.

Was moving stuff about in the work shed when I came across this ready built type XXI. Now, only two served war patrols at the end of WWII, one was sunk when she broke her tow cable and the other was scuttled by her crew in 45, this was raised in 57 and refitted as the Wilhelm Bauer.

I did her with some slight damage to masts and snorkel and way too much crustiness but, who cares 😆

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

• Like 19

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Eddie, wouldn't that increase over time? I don't think it's too much, I think it's done very well. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, the boat was scuttled in 45 and raised in 57, in that time I don't think it would have crusted as much but, There are a few pictures of her being raised but they are black and white and not great, I still think I went overboard a bit. Still, glad you enjoy looking at her and many thanks for commenting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I love it!  What a great idea!  It would make perfect sense for a scuttled or abandoned vessel to stay intact as depicted here, rather than break up.

Yeah, Many scuttled in deep water are damaged by just the speed they hit the bottom. This one, was scuttled in the Flensburg Firth which has some deep water but not deep enough she wasn't able to be raised-not sure of her resting place on the seabed or depth.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Nice one Eddie.

I think I agree with you about the crustiness on this one given the timescale and the temperature of the Baltic. But as you also said, who cares? It looks good!

Defo too crusty Bertie, for the time frame and conditions but...it is what it is. Pleased you like it mate, appreciate it.

• Like 1

As crusty as my father-in-law!  Looks terrific, though.  You've definitely captured the "abandoned at the bottom of the sea for years" look.  Whether it's too much or too little, I don't care.  You've done a fantastic job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ErikT said:

As crusty as my father-in-law!  Looks terrific, though.  You've definitely captured the "abandoned at the bottom of the sea for years" look.  Whether it's too much or too little, I don't care.  You've done a fantastic job!

Cheers Erik, really pleased you like the crusty-rusty. Appreciate the lovely comment, many thanks.