Meanwhile at the Suzuki workshop - JIMNY THE SNAP KIT

Evening all,

Recently bought this little Aoshima snap kit from my old model shop in Dubai. I urgently need the satisfaction of finishing a kit and thought this might do the job. 

tVsrhEC.jpg

My initial plan was to finish it in the hotel room while the family were at the pool and take it to the big desert for a photo session before traveling back, but on opening the box I saw that after all the body looks a bit to plastic like. 

VWayDzP.jpg

I actually like the color it’s replicating (Chiffon Ivory - color code CVG) and thought of ordering a spray can online, but at 20€ delivered it’s not really worth it (it’s more than the kit!). So now it’s down in the big paint box to look for a suitable alternative. Something green I think. 

Here is the content of box, should be manageable 😄 

LGvI27A.jpg

Instructions are clear and comprehensive - if you can read Japanese :) 

dldk822.jpg

xLeRWiH.jpg

Will make a plan tonight and start the build tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking!

Johnny b 

• Like 8

That’s an awesome car and an awesome color (and a very nice story) :thumbsup: 

I got solid gold, could possible mix it with some yellow or orange?

Otherwise at the moment I’m thinking of matt dark green body, black bumbers/mirrors and possible some bronze for the grill and wheels 😁 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Talking of green - there's one local to me in this colour, love it....!!

02_30_0.jpg

Keith

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I saw one in this colour this morning on the M1.

4 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Strangely, I also saw one at the weekend on the way to Sainsbury's

57 minutes ago, Spiny said:

When it comes to colour, all I'll say is that this is a car which suits matt black and if you have bigger wheels readily available, look for the Black Bison version to really get one which stands out :)

Thank you gents for all your comments and suggestions 🙏 

I too find that green insanely nice (Kinetic Yellow in Suzuki language) but even that would set me off 20€ for a spray can shipped here in Germany, or around 15€ for a touch up paint with 9ml 🤣 

Would love to give it some BIG wheels and go at bit excessive on the customization aka the Black Bison, which is really cool, but I don’t have a “spares box” (yet) so this could definitely be something for a future Jimny build !!

Coincidentally, this was parked in the basement of the mall where I picked up the kit, must have been a “sign“. But then again, the Jimny was always very popular in the UAE (short wheel base, doesn’t get stuck on top of the sand dunes). 

BxLcQhL.jpg

Meanwhile I have decided that the dark green matt I had in mind was too boring, so I have new and sparkling concept in mind :) 

Stay tuned to these pages! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, desert falcon said:

but even that would set me off 20€ for a spray can shipped here in Germany, or around 15€ for a touch up paint with 9ml 🤣 

I reckon you could get close with Tamiya mixes.... :whistle: :)

10 hours ago, desert falcon said:

so I have new and sparkling concept in mind

Looking forward to that!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time is running fast and to be honest there isn‘t much progress to report on the Jimny.

I did however manage to give the few major parts some white Vallejo primer. As i initially had a paint scheme in mind where the rear side windows would be blinded off, I also painted these in white primer on the outside. I now regret this as I have changed my mind regarding the colour scheme, so now the question remains;

how do I best remove the Vallejo primer from the clear parts without ruining the side windows? 

Isopropyl Alcohol Maybe (we might have it at work)?

This by the way, is the current paint scheme. 

SnuS6NS.jpg

The base colour will be Tamiya TS34 Camel Yellow, with some parts in a black gloss to break the yellow. The logo on the door is just a free download from the internet and not my own design. Windows will likely be tinted on the inside, as the cabin is a bit boring and the steering wheel is on the “wrong” side 😉  

• Like 1

I'd second the IPA. And if you do end up putting a scratch in the clear plastic by accident you can always polish it out with fine sandpaper and/or polishing compounds. I have a Mercedes 190E from when I was a kid where I blobbed some glue (fortunately UHU rather than solvent cement) on the windscreen. A few years ago I had a go at it with 1000, then 2000 grit sandpaper then Micromesh and you can't tell where it was now.

• Thanks 1