Spitfire IILR

I had a spare spitfire I from the Eduard "the few" boxing.  I did the early version a while ago.  What to do with the other one (and one with a damaged wing due a glue spill)?  I didn't want another Mk I, so a  rummage through the spares box(s) reveled a Mk IILR conversion (Pavla I think) with the asymmetric fuel tank.  A trawl of the web showed that the codes included with the kit with a bit of modification (plus bits from said spares box(s)) would do for one of the relatively few LR versions that were produced (or at least close enough for my satisfaction). I scratched the undercarriage raising/lowering unit (whatever its called) as only the manual version is included in this boxing.  Apart from that, a fairly straight forward build.  The Eduard decals are the new ones that the varnish can be removed, so being a masochist, I did.

Good old humbrol 29 for the dark earth and colourcoats for the rest. 

Now having the looked at the photos I see the IFF and aerial lines need retensioning.  Ho Hum.

Tim

HCOVva3.jpg

W22ERrT.jpg

imIEUr2.jpg

fZdmY8e.jpg

bnbztcz.jpg

q0zj9Q8.jpg

Hfivjti.jpg

Sv3l4mf.jpg

bMNT6sz.jpg

avPaRXC.jpg

• Like 32

Good job! A very clean built.

Regarding the real thing, I always wondered what on earth did they think when they put that long-range tank asymmetrically under one wing? A drop tank or a slipper tank under the fuselage looks so much more logic and simple (and it worked on the Spitfire later).

• Like 2

Great job on a seldom seen version. Your undercarriage lever looks good, though it is much too high on the cockpit side wall.

Cheers,

Wlad

On 9/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, Doc72 said:

Good job! A very clean built.

Regarding the real thing, I always wondered what on earth did they think when they put that long-range tank asymmetrically under one wing? A drop tank or a slipper tank under the fuselage looks so much more logic and simple (and it worked on the Spitfire later).

its a version that does make you wonder.  The tank appears (assuming I have mounted it in the correct place) does block the ejection ports for one gun, so I assume that was removed?  It also appears to block access to the assess panels for the ammunition for the guns either side of it.  Were they fitted?  Was the tank removed each time the ammunition was loaded?  so many questions 🙂

On 9/7/2022 at 5:22 AM, Wlad said:

Great job on a seldom seen version. Your undercarriage lever looks good, though it is much too high on the cockpit side wall.

Ah well, I was just filling the gap left by the hand pump.  teach me not to study the photos better.............

Very neat model of a little known variant. Interesting!

Apparently, the conversion of Mk II:s to Long Range took place in early 1941. By then, the Spitfires would certainly have had their HF radios exchanged for VHF sets with the antenna integral to the mast. So, your wire aerial can be safely removed. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2