1:48 SEAC Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe 28 Sqn

Dunny

Hi All,

My latest completion is Airfix relatively new Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe. It's a lovely kit, which was completed as part of an informal group build with @mark.au, @bigbadbadge, @AdrianMF, @Winded Penguin and @Biggles87. I chose to complete as SM888 of 28 Sqn RAF, which was part of SEAC in India in July 1945. I used Xtradecals scheme, although as depicted the aircraft was based at RAF Kuala Lumpur in 1946. I had a photo of the aircraft in India in 1945:

SM888b28-Sqn-RAFin-Combat-com-Spitfire-M

There are a couple of interesting elements to this photo - the non-standard camouflage pattern, and the white spinner (the scheme shows a red spinner). Here's the WIP if anyone is interested:

The kit is lovely, but a few niggling errors spoilt my enjoyment of the finish. Anyway, on to the photos:

20220905_144432.jpg

20220905_144446.jpg

20220905_144452.jpg

20220905_144516.jpg

20220905_144520.jpg

20220905_144540.jpg

Finally, here's a shot with a few other recent Spit builds (a Mk.I from the opening of the war, and a brace of Malta Mk.Vbs).

20220905_144646.jpg

Thanks for all those who offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it is much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Missed photo, spelling
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 1

That's an expertly build SEAC Spitfire and I dare say you have a winner there. Btw 28 sqdn did served in Malaya around April 1946 and the picture shows the familiar sight of the low rolling hill slopes of Sungai Besi airfield, otherwise known as Simpang. The airfield is no more as the old TUDM airbase was sold to a Chinese developer in March 2016 by the recently jailed ex-prime minister. 

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

That's an expertly build SEAC Spitfire and I dare say you have a winner there. Btw 28 sqdn did served in Malaya around April 1946 and the picture shows the familiar sight of the low rolling hill slopes of Sungai Besi airfield, otherwise known as Simpang. The airfield is no more as the old TUDM airbase was sold to a Chinese developer in March 2016 by the recently jailed ex-prime minister. 

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. I was aware that 28 Sqn later served in Malaya  but I have a self-imposed WW2 envelope on all my builds - I was therefore very happy to find the earlier photo of SM888 from India!

Cheers,

Roger

Lovely build, the finish looks really great to me! Don't get too down on yourself, little things seem much worse when you're right in there building, but stop being noticeable once the immediate memory has faded. It looks like a fantastic addition to the set, and as you say an interesting scheme. I'd be dead chuffed if I could make something that looks half as sharp as that!

Cheers,

Andy

7 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely build, the finish looks really great to me! Don't get too down on yourself, little things seem much worse when you're right in there building, but stop being noticeable once the immediate memory has faded. It looks like a fantastic addition to the set, and as you say an interesting scheme. I'd be dead chuffed if I could make something that looks half as sharp as that!

Cheers,

Andy

Many thanks for the kind words Andy - much appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

They all look lovely, but your latest addition is my favourite 👍

Thanks very much WP - you are very kind!

:ditto: Wot they said.

It's been a pleasure to watch this develop in your magnificent build thread.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Aren't we always our own worst critics?

She is a beauty with a lovely scheme.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

part of an informal group build

Interesting euphemism for I was told I was doing it by the rest of them. :lol:

Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Roger, looks absolutely stunning in the SEAC scheme .  I think I will be last over the line with mine😉😄.

Congratulations on a job well done it was a joy to watch.

Chris

Thanks Chris - looking forward to seeing yours done!

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

:ditto: Wot they said.

It's been a pleasure to watch this develop in your magnificent build thread.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Aren't we always our own worst critics?

She is a beauty with a lovely scheme.

Interesting euphemism for I was told I was doing it by the rest of them. :lol:

Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - there's still time, you know 🤣

7 hours ago, Roberto said:

Lovely works, bravo.

Thanks Roberto!

4 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

A fine looking example. Lovely work and the Group looks really good too.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the kind words Pete - much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Cracking build. Love the last pic with the four spits in, great collection you're building there :)

Thanks for the kind words Neil - much appreciated!

28 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Damm , that s a mighty fine Spitfire you have created there sir.  :goodjob:

Thank you Keith!

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Very nice Roger (as usual, it has to be said), you captured the SEAC look very well and made a fine Mk.XIV for the little mini GB.  

Appreciate the kind words Mark - bring on the P38 GB!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Beautifully finished Spit, Roger.  Really attractive scheme and a great looking 4-ship.

Thanks for the kind words Steve - much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Very good indeed. They all are. That last photograph makes me drool.

Thanks for the kind words Bertie - much appreciated!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A bit slow on the uptake on this, :( it looks helluva good though, keen to do similar one of these days. :) 

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve - I certainly recommend the kit,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1