Creating section templates

S-boat 55

Hi all, 

I've been toying with a scratch build for a while but always wondered how best to go about making the main sections/bulkheads for the hull. I have a book with the various sections for the hull but they're only of one side if that makes sense so need mirroring to create the full section width. Do others use free autocad alternatives to scan the image in and then sketch and mirror? If not how is best to go about it?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

A drawing software is what I use for this. In my case it is Corel Draw, simply because I have it and I know how to use it. My steps are:

- Scan the drawing. Anytime I do it I also place on the page two rulers at 90°, to be able to check if the scanner has introduced distortions in one direction.

- Import the drawing in the software. At that point I would compare the size of the ruler in the scan with the actual size, if any distortion is present I can then correct it.

- Create a new set of drawings based on the imported file... the imported file is a bitmap while Corel produces "vectorial" drawings. These can be easily scaled and modified so it's easier to work with these. This step really just means creating a set of curves and shapes using the imported drawing as a template.

- With each section drawn, I can generate a mirrored image and place it accurately beside the original so to have a full section

- Repeat for all sections....

Of course a number of other softwares can do the same, be they CAD softwares or just drawing softwares (like Inkscape, that has the nice feature of being free).

Before I had access to PC and software, my solution was just to use a copier, make copies, stick them to plasticard and cut following the drawing. All in two sets, so to have two half sections for every section... then it was a matter of gluing each set of half sections together.

• Thanks 1

Hi Sam,

I find Inscape to be very good for the design and preparations for scratchbuilding; however, you don't mention how you are going to produce the parts afterwards.  A good complementary tool for cutting plastic sheet is a cutting machine, or are you going to 3D print the parts?

Here is my work, using Inkscape and a cutting machine, on how I produced the cross-section frames and it I would use the same method for cutting the hull plates.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Sam,

I find Inscape to be very good for the design and preparations for scratchbuilding; however, you don't mention how you are going to produce the parts afterwards.  A good complementary tool for cutting plastic sheet is a cutting machine, or are you going to 3D print the parts?

Here is my work, using Inkscape and a cutting machine, on how I produced the cross-section frames and it I would use the same method for cutting the hull plates.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the info, I remember your thread now and being a little awestruck at how much work was going into the framing. Surely the hull must weight a tonne as a result? 

To be honest I had figured out would be a case of printing out the sections (at the right scale) and then very carrefour cutting out and filing to shape as needed. 

Is also thought about utilising the plans for each of the decks to infill between the frames. This was largely because the plans I have are only at key stations so require a little infilling so the hull form comes out right, does that make sense? 

The idea is that this will be a slow burn project along side what ever kit I am on by the time I actually make a start. I like to try and work out a link between the ships I build and I stumbled on one that fits well with my wider plans.  If all goes well a later scratch build will be HMS Furious but I think I need to give something a little smaller a go first. Knowing my luck by the time I get to it an injection moulded kit will be announced though! 

• Like 1