Me 262 camouflage query

modelmaker

Hello friends, I need advice if possible. 

Long story but I've ended up with THERE '72nd Revell Me262s, one nightfighter and an identical pair of A-1a's. (Thanks again to Invidia for the undercarriage legs). I'm absolutely fine painting the NF and the '19’ aircraft, but I'm struggling to find a y information regarding the JG 7 aircraft, the one shown on the box art, with the blue nose, defence of the Reich band and a rather indistinct squiggly RLM 82 pattern. I'm unable to find any picture of such a scheme despite going goggle eyed looking. Any thoughts gratefully received, many thanks. 

Revell 262 box art

Hi. From the above photo my best guess is that the cammo is RLM 81 Brunolive, all over and the Revell depiction of RLM 81/82/82 looks bogus. The nose cone looks to be RLM 66 but maybe RLM 24 (blue)  also of note the nose leg colour looks very dark and could very well be RLM 66 this is a little known fact,  the top of the leg being dark and the lower part of the nose leg is RLM 02.   Really can’t see how Revell came to it’s box art scheme as the red/blue tail band is not showing. 

As always hoping to help,  😉

10 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi. From the above photo my best guess is that the cammo is RLM 81 Brunolive, all over and the Revell depiction of RLM 81/82/82 looks bogus. The nose cone looks to be RLM 66 but maybe RLM 24 (blue)  also of note the nose leg colour looks very dark and could very well be RLM 66 this is a little known fact,  the top of the leg being dark and the lower part of the nose leg is RLM 02.   Really can’t see how Revell came to it’s box art scheme as the red/blue tail band is not showing. 

As always hoping to help,  😉

Very helpful, thank you.

It needs a tiny bit of imagination to "see" the "Reichsverteidigungsband", but it needs drugs to see the nose being the same color as the "3" and the "blue" in the unit's emblem.

"Usually" people claim the unit emblem to contain a light blue (unlike RLM 24 and 65, closer to RAL 5012) and the "3" to be green (maybe RLM 25 or something like that) - but who am I to question the experts?

Nose cone? Completely Braunviolett "replacement" part?

Landing gear, gear wells and cover-insides? Theory? "Evidence"? RLM 02, 66, natural aluminum ... look at all the pics you can get, read all experts' opinions, draw your own conclusion.

On the other hand:

- what suits your taste?

- who can prove you wrong?

What "we" see as RLM 76 on the underside (due to habbit and "information") might as well be yellow and the "camo" stripes may be crimson (no, that is not the case! RLM 76 undersides, dark green / dark greygreen camo!)

• Haha 2

Code:               Green 3 / Black Chevron + 

WNr.:               111994

Pilot:                Possibly Hptm. Erich Mikat, Geschwader Adjutant

References:      1 photo: Smith & Creek, 2000a, p.569, Ethell and Price, 1994, p.45, Jurleit, 1993, p.123; Held, 1988, p.158

Camouflage:    It appears that this aircraft may have suffered a significant accident that damaged its nose section requiring ist replacement.  The photo reveals a new nose in overall 76 with long, horizontal streaks of possibly 81 and meandering lines of 82 or possibly 71 covering this region and extending back to the rear cockpit area.  The aircraft’s original scheme is indeterminate (81/82) and its Werknummer is overpainted.

Comments:      Markings are all quite visible, as are the two WGr.21 rockets and launcher attached to the forward bomb racks.

References:

Ethell, J.L., and Price, A., 1994.

World War II Fighting Jets.

Airlife Publishing Ltd., Schewsbury, England, 271p.

Held, W., 1988

Reichsverteidigung - Die deutsche Tagjagd 1943-1945. 

Podzun-Pallas Verlag, Freidberg, 184p.  (English translation published by Schiffer Books under the title "Defense of the Reich - The German Day Fighters").

Jurleit, M., 1993b

Strahljäger Me 262 im Einsatz - Alle Geschwader, Gruppen und Kommandos.

Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft mbH., Berlin, 200p.

Smith, J.R., and Creek, E.J., 2000a

Me 262 – Volume 3. 

Classic Publications, Crowborough, 208p.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3