Austin K2 colours?

keithjs

As I said, this video shows the box ventilators fitted......

Also note that the census number is only applied on the offside of the bonnet, suggesting that, if not repainted (which could possibly be in SCC2 anyway) that the K2/Y would have been manufactured after October 1942 - as that is when the order to only paint the census number on the offside front and rear came into force. 

SCC2 was introduced as an overall colour in May 1942, although as usual the order states that existing stocks of KG3 should be used up first. I think those stocks would have been used up in the intervening 6 months.

Edited by Simon B King
  • Like 1

As we know the RAF didnt use the K2 ambulance on home soil but the Americans did, sometimes adding their own American 5 point star on many of their vehicles  . . .

American-K2-ambulance.jpg

I am very surprised that neither Airfix or Gecko have decals for the airfield 'home' vehicles  . . .

PS dare I say a brown colour with the canvas sides being faded . . . . 

Note also the square vent  . . .

Note also the small Red Cross circle  . . .

My Airfix models of the 'American K2 vehicle' 

ATF-Workbench-049.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

I`m about half way through building the Airfix kit and am surprised to see a double rifle rack to the right of the driver`s seat ! .

Is this correct , as I thought all such vehicles bearing the Red Cross were deemed non combat . This was one type of vehicle

I never had a ride in ( thank goodness ) . So some expert advice is sought .

Don .

The Gecko Kit comes with a single .303 Lee Enfield 

It was a choice, a Medic could use a weapon to defend themselves or their patients, but not to be used offensively, this was change in 1949 so they were officially allowed to carry a weapon for defense.  

From the Web

Geneva Convention did not specify anything about whether medics may carry weapons. The 1949 revision implies that medical personnel are permitted to carry weapons to defend themselves or their patients, but if they use their arms offensively, to harm the enemy, they lose their neutrality given under the Convention and can then be targeted as combatants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys , that sheds some light . Now I know to leave them in .

Don .

An interesting read and not unexpected my me.   The Austin is Khaki Green No.3 which being a training vehicles has been well polished, bullsh*t rules in these establishments.  No on has mentioned the dark tiny filigree fingers on the front of the tilt.  This strongly indicates that this component has a solid dark brown top surface, probably SCC.1A.  The K2 also polished and appears to have a darker colour on the front mudguard and part of the body.  This might be Dark Tarmac over Khaki Green too.  Definitely not Deep Bronze Green No.24.  The lack of nearside WD number is accordance with  ACI.2261, 24 October 1942,  which states that census numbers will henceforth only be applied to the rear and offside of vehicles as an economy measure.  Existing numbers are not to be obliterated until repainting is due and necessary.   The RAF did not use K2s during WW2 whilst the USAAF had several on reverse lend-lease.  There exists a colour film taken from the balcony of the control tower, which may have been Bassingbourn, when the vehicle  is driven past.  Despite the date lots of second line vehicles retained earlier colours ands schemes.  Some of these may be seen in the 1946 victory parade held in London.

• Like 3