HMS Broadsword F88 from HMS Cornwall F99 (Type 22 frigate Batch 3) in 1:700 ?

Johnson

Hi Folks,

I'd like to make HMS Broadsword F88 (1982 Op Corporate) in 1:700, but the White Ensign Models resin kit is long OOP and now lost.

Might it be possible to modify the Starling Models 1:700 HMS Cornwall F99 (Type 22 frigate Batch 3) to Broadsword which was Batch 1?

Apologies if it's a daft question (from an aircraft modeller), but I have maritime modelling aspirations. Hoping some of you knowledgeable ship builders can put me straight.

Thanks,

• Johnson changed the title to HMS Broadsword F88 from HMS Cornwall F99 (Type 22 frigate Batch 3) in 1:700 ?

That'd be quite a challenge!

• Shorten the hull amidships.
  • Reduce the rake of the stem, and reshape the foc's'le bulwark to match, add port anchor.
  • Reduce size of flight deck and amend supporting structure.
  • Lower hangar roof by one deck level.
  • Amend funnel shape and add new Olympus exhausts to top.
  • Omit 4.5" gun, remove supporting structure and replace with four Exocet launchers.
  • Lower forward Seawolf launcher to shelter deck level.
  • Omit Goalkeeper mounting and Harpoon launchers from superstructure.
  • Replace Seawolf directors (Type 911 radar) with earlier version (Type 910).
  • Sundry other aerial changes.
  • Different boat outfit, davits etc.
  • Thanks 1

The WEM masters stayed with Peter Hall I believe, HMS Brilliant was re-released in 2017 under his Atlantic Models label. The 1:700 kits were then passed on to Mike McCabe at Starling Models, so it might be worth contacting him to see if there is a possibility of a Type 22 batch 1 in the near future?

As far as I know Starling Models hasn't released any Type 22's, though they do sell the Orange Hobby batch 3 kits (currently out of stock). 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

I asked Mike McCabe at Starling Models but he can't help at the moment. If he had the WEM HMS Brilliant moulds from Atlantic Models he would probably have mentioned it to me in his reply;

Charles

As I understand it the original patterns for the kit were lost so it wouldn't be worth trying to re-release the kit.  It is something I would like to do in future but these things do take time and there is a lot of work in the queue before it.

Regards

Mike

The WEM website still lists HMS Brilliant and says 'Soon to be released by Atlantic Models'. But Atlantic Models are getting out of 1:700, something I'll ask Peter Hall to clarify when he gets back from his hols. But I'm not hopeful.

Regards,

• Like 1