Beautiful Lass - P-38G *Finished*

Firstly, thank you all for the kind words, it is an old kit but scrubs up quite well.

Unfortunately I have been ill again this week so very little progress has been made.  I was able to spray an overall black coat today as the first part of my experimental foray into black basing:

52389967821_7fd457c5d2_b.jpg

I’ll be attempting some marbling on Friday if all goes well.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

I did some random spraying of colours today to give some modulation (hopefully) to the main colours.  I used white and two shades of grey on the underside and white, tan and a light and dark green on the upper side.  Not sure how its going to turn out, the green is too heavy handed to be “marbling” but its all a learning experience, which is for me the whole aim of this build.

52394191516_667eeaaee6_b.jpg

52393689567_ec6e32c2fe_b.jpg

I then sprayed some aluminium on the parts that will be heavily chipped.

52393689537_3598d6a4dc_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 8

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Very nice! Looks like a super starting point for a worn finish.

Hope you are feeling better…

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, much better now, fortunately in time for my birthday on Sunday. It looked earlier in the week as if the big family dinner might have to be postponed.

AW

• Like 1

Neutral Grey on the undersides today.  There is, to the unaided eye, some subtle variation, which I am pleased with.  I have also repainted the undercarriage neutral grey as I think this is more correct for a G model P-38 than aluminium.

52396700470_9dccf87f43_b.jpg

I’ve also had to fill the hole Under the nose for the antenna as Beautiful Lass didnt appear to be fitted with it.  Looking closely at the photo of the aircraft, what at first glance looks like an under nose antenna is in fact one of the blades of the starboard propellor.  So it doesn’t matter that I had knocked it off and lost it.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Indeed. You guys are 12 hours ahead so it’s Sunday for you already. Hope you have a super dinner!

Regards,

Adrian

Point of admin - 8.5 hours ahead until tomorrow, then 9.5 hours until UK clocks change at which point it becomes 10.5...

Looking good AW - I think your u/c choice of Neutral Grey is a good one. Only just noted you are ADL based - small world!

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Point of admin - 8.5 hours ahead until tomorrow, then 9.5 hours until UK clocks change at which point it becomes 10.5...

Only for the oddball South Australians who have the 30 minute thing going….  The rest of us are on whole hours 😆😉

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

Only for the oddball South Australians who have the 30 minute thing going….  The rest of us are on whole hours 😆😉

Ooh get you in the big city 🤣

• Haha 4

On 10/1/2022 at 5:45 PM, gingerbob said:

Hmm, early Saturday morning here on the East Coast of North America, so perhaps it is time (or near enough) to say

Happy Birthday!

🎂

bob

Close enough!  Thank you for the thought.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, AdrianMF said:

Indeed. You guys are 12 hours ahead so it’s Sunday for you already. Hope you have a super dinner!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you, yes I had a very nice T-Bone steak, rare of course 🥩. And 🍷.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, Dunny said:

I think your u/c choice of Neutral Grey

I’m wondering whether the wheels should be NG as well?  I’ll leave mine aluminium but will dirty them up.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:37 PM, mark.au said:

To be fare its not just us, its the NT as well!  Actually never really understood the reasoning behind the 30 minute thing, I mean if you can live with half hour diff to the big eastern state cities, why not the full hour?

19 hours ago, 81-er said:

Are we going to have to settle this with boomerangs at dawn, gents?

If so, as we have the Woomera (🚀) I’m claiming victory for SA!

OK, birthday celebrations over back to the bench.  Today I masked off the underside and sprayed a lightish coat of Olive Drab (AK) followed by an even lighter spray of Vallejo Olive Drab Highlights for a faded effect.

52400440287_18f33246b2_b.jpg

Masking off:

52401240329_dcfbeb63b4_b.jpg

Happy with that.  Next some scuffing and chipping (hairspray method) mainly on the areas subject to size tens and the leading edges of the wings:

52401447888_7e97e64b84_b.jpg

52400952761_175034c641_b.jpg

I then sealed it all in with a gloss coat ready for decals.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

I wasn’t happy with the demarcation on the nose, looking at photos the beautiful lass should be “kneeling” on the demarcation line, mine is a bit too high such that it would probably pass through her waist.  So I masked off and resprayed the OD reaching further down the nose.

52403937558_493cf5c934_b.jpg

Much better.  Lucky I noticed it before application of decals.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Dunny said:

Looking good AW - good save on the nose!

Cheers,

Roger

I couldn’t have lived with it as it was.

Decals on:

52406203815_fe463bc371_b.jpg

Exito decals, printed by Cartograph, went on beautifully.  Released very quickly in warm water and settled down perfectly.  Not sure about the boom stars and bars, they look a little large, certainly much bigger than the ones Airfix provide in the kit, which are no good as the blue is far to light.

Here she is 😍

52405763646_c461f01d5e_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

She's definitely a bonza looking sheila Andrew, nicely done with this old kit. 👍

Steve.

There was certainly a wide range in the quality of the pin up nose art, this was certainly at the upper end, anatomically properly proportioned  and no limbs bending in the wrong places!

Today I attached the turbo superchargers:

52407955086_c76ff77881_b.jpg

and the single piece main gear bays and doors:

52407955076_379d186d67_b.jpg

Nearly there.  I want to get this one finished before the Meteor GB kicks off on the 15th.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4