P-38H of the 475th FG

Hi,

Here's my P-38H.

I believe that the most unique P-38H parts are the small sprue "J" that I've placed on top of the other sprues and the clear parts.

I placed the clear parts on the box-top, but not much is visible in the photo. The really special part is rear part of the canopy, it does not have the small internal reinforcements that are present in the P-38F/G.

8pWVAPO.jpg

Such an awesome kit, I hope to do it some justice.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 9

welcome along Stefan and NICE!!!!!! 😍 :thumbsup:

Tamiya have done themselves proud again, the model is stunning, I had my first look over my F/G the other nice and it just looks amazing!

Will you do the box scheme or go with AM decals? There/s a great choice out there.

Will good luck with the build I know there'll be plenty who will follow with envy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome, Rich.

I plan to build this one as Lt Francis Lent's "T-rigor Mortis" using the Fündekals sheet.

Many P-38H's are indeed quite interesting, including the scheme that's in the box (Skidoo). I read that Skidoo's pilot did 2 tours in Vietnam over 20 years later, I think flying Skyraiders. 

I also have the P-38F/G, but first I'm going to concentrate on getting this P-38H done well.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is view that shows the difference between Tamiya's clear parts for the P-38F/G and those for the P-38H.

The P-38H sprue is on the left with the modified part circled in red. The P-38F/G is on the right with the corresponding part circled in blue.

H8vSPzv.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

After I finished that Kinetic NF-5A, I could return to this fine kit.

She's standing on her own legs now. I did manage to end up with some gaps that are larger than intended in the nose area.

It's probably not noticeable in the picture and I think they are where the panel lines  of the real P-38 would be.

ZWecnx7.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

Nothing wrong to be seen from here.

Nice work Stefan.

Good choice of scheme. That's an attractive one (included on the decal sheet of my Italeri 1/72 P-38J).

Cheers.

Pat

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The last week-end of the GB. Time to finish this one and share some pictures.

The flash photography makes these images quite different from what I see with the naked eye.

Until now, all paint has been painted on free-hand. I'll add some making now and and finsih the layer of dark Olive Drab.

Over that, I plan to add thin strips of masking tape on the panel lines, then paint a layer of lighter Olive Drab.

Then, I'll brush-paint some Rubber Black along the edges of the masking tape.

All that in the hope of achieving something that looks like a P-38 that had protective tape on for the trip across the ocean.

awI36Z2.jpg

mIekbNU.jpg

Cheers, Stefan;

Edited by Stefan Buysse
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

Here she is with the tape on. Definitely not all panel lines have been covered, but I hope to create an impression of what these P-38's looked like.

ZMYKkiL.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

Its a method Ive wanted to try myself so will be taking notes. 

• Like 1