PT-20 finally finished

This is the old 1/72 MPM kit I've had in my stash for a long time.

I had to scratch build some new seats and modify the cockpit slightly to get the IP and floor to fit.

The rigging is 6 mil ceramic "wonder wire" I've never been able to use.

p?i=abc88d5d38f7c745861afe9f1b1ce9cf

p?i=29e02f2d215dd69d6d96e20888333b1a

Edited by Bejay53
scale
  • Like 28

27 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice!

I am currently working on it, so sooner or later on RFI... :). Any tips?

Regards

J-W

1. The biggest thing was in order to get the fuselage squeezed to get between the wings, the cockpit floor has to be sanded quite a bit to narrow it to make it fit.

2, the seats are only a large simple plastic representation. I remade them from .020 sheet.

3. check the location of the instrument panels when installing the stick. I first ended up with the stick behind the IP!

That wouldn’t work.

4. when mounting the stabilizers, there is no positive locating aid. There is an oval etched on the rear of the fuselage, but that would place the stabilizers too far forward. I also sanded an angle to make the stabs sit more horizontal.

All in all, not bad build. It looks good when finished.

5 hours ago, Bejay53 said:

4. when mounting the stabilizers, there is no positive locating aid. There is an oval etched on the rear of the fuselage, but that would place the stabilizers too far forward. I also sanded an angle to make the stabs sit more horizontal.

Thanks for this tip!  I am right now about to glue the stabilizers, the wings and fuselage are already together with some problems overcame, as you've mentioned also...

Regards

J-W

Ah, the old 'Vibrator'! Thats what they used to call these because they rattled and buzzed pretty much all the time the engine was running. Very nice finish on this! Love it! :goodjob: I was looking to buy one of these but Model Hobbies seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth, so I can't buy it now!

16 hours ago, JWM said:

Thanks for this tip!  I am right now about to glue the stabilizers, the wings and fuselage are already together with some problems overcame, as you've mentioned also...

Regards

J-W

Also, if your kit is old as mine watch for the decals! I had 2 or 3 break on me. Nothing terrible, but I needed to piece the puzzle back together…

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...