Hendie's 1971 VW T2 Bay Window Devon Conversion conversion

hendie

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Printed parts and paint. What more could Giorgio want?  

A beer? :rofl2:

Marvelous stuff, Alan - even the tiny bits... :D  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just read through this one, that's one hell of a build! I'm flabbergasted at how many improvements you’ve already made, with plenty still to come! Fantastic work indeed :clap2:

James

• Like 1

I think that skylight is my favourite bit so far and there are exquisite enhancements going on all over the place here Alan.

Have you mentioned how this is going to be displayed at the end? I'm sure I can't be alone here in hoping the work extends to folding tables/chairs and some 3d printed Highland midges....

• Haha 8

On 12/1/2022 at 3:16 AM, giemme said:

A beer? :rofl2:

Marvelous stuff, Alan - even the tiny bits... :D  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

careful Giorgio, people may start to think you are infatuated...

On 12/1/2022 at 4:35 AM, 81-er said:

Just read through this one, that's one hell of a build! I'm flabbergasted at how many improvements you’ve already made, with plenty still to come! Fantastic work indeed :clap2:

James

thanks James.  It had to be done - the kit had potential and it was just too toy-like in its current state.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, Brandy said:

Quality over quantity Alan.

Although tiny, your bits are definitely beautifully formed!

Ian

thanks Ian. You and Giorgio can start a club (if you haven't already)

On 12/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, TheBaron said:

I think that skylight is my favourite bit so far and there are exquisite enhancements going on all over the place here Alan.

Have you mentioned how this is going to be displayed at the end? I'm sure I can't be alone here in hoping the work extends to folding tables/chairs and some 3d printed Highland midges....

It's going to be displayed with undercarriage down, doors open, canopy up, and the engine bay doors open.  I haven't put much thought to how to display it yet, but I think there's going to be a porta-potty to help give it that authentic aroma

On 12/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, Brandy said:

Aah yes, the notorious "biting cloud"

Ian

Ah, the midges.  How I miss those midges   :mg:

On 12/1/2022 at 1:14 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Smart update and some lovely details going in there. Just needs some cut glass lights and it'll be Pullman class.

:rofl2:  Crystal, Pete. Surely?

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Stunning use of the Elegoo magic dear boy. Those seats look fantastic. Looking forward to the belts. What are you going to use for the…… “belty” bits? 

Johnny

I'm glad you asked Johnny.  I'll be using my old fall back - the foil from the inside of a ciggy packet.  Just enough embossing on it to give the appearance of woven texture even after paint, with paper on the reverse side to add a bit of strength.  Takes paint readily on both sides, and cos it's foil it can can hold it's shape. It's also very thin so is ideal for things like seat belts.

PC030005.jpg

It cuts easily with a sharp blade and doesn't tear the way foil usually does.  This was a quick test with some old left over, already painted foil. WHen it comes to the T2 I'll make sure I paint the cut edges as well but as you can see here, it does a great job of pretending to be a seat belt.

PC030006.jpg

Oh, and it sticks great with superglue - particularly if you can make the paper side the bonding surface.

Now to that job. The big one. The elephant in the room.  Those darned air intakes at the back end. 

Up until this week, this was as much as I had progressed on the job - nothing more than removing the offending part and nothing more.  It was time to leave the trenches and cross no-mans land with my guns a-blazing

PC020001.jpg

The weapon of choice was AirScoop1 which had gone through several iterations before landing back on pretty much the item I had started off with, save for a few very minor tweaks.

PC020003.jpg

A bit of preparatory work was required to try and get as close a fit as possible.  I've left a smidgin of the original panel remaining just aft of the panel line to give the air scoop something to butt up against. This may be agreat help going forward, or there's just as much chance it's going to rear up and bite me in the... stay tuned.

PC030004.jpg

After staring at it from various angles and at various times through the week and hoping against all the odds,  the sir scoop never bothered to fit itself. I gave it plenty of chance but it just did not want to cooperate. Sadly, the job was left to me.

Only after I had messed about with superglue and made a right pig's ear of fitting the first scoop (just as well I printed several spares) and eventually wrestled the 2nd part into place did I remember that I could have used the UV resin.  Oh well. 

PC030013.jpg

The filler of choice here had to be Milliput. No alternative really, so in order to give it a good chance of staying in place for the fighting to come afterwards, I part drilled some half-holes in the rear quarter to help provide a key for the magic stuff.  Since this is such a critical job I even opened up a new pack of Milliput to celebrate.

PC030014.jpg

I used some dental tools to massage the milliput into any available crevice and started packing out the void.   I probably spent a good half hour massaging this blob into place and think I ended up with a reasonably good first pass.  I fully expect at least another application of the yellow stuff to follow after the initial sanding. In retrospect I should have increased the wall thickness of the scoop as I'm almost certain I'm going to sand through that top edge as I round that corner.

PC030015.jpg

Try as I might though I could not get quite as good a result on the opposite side and after a half hour of applying all sort of tools and saliva, I gave up knowing that it just means I'll have a little additional sanding to do when the time comes.

PC030016.jpg

I reprinted the front seat belt housing (on the left) as the last ones were a bit too tall. I also reprinted the seat belt buckles, this time with the slot for the belt added, and then those parts along with the front to rear cabin air vent piece were a colored in.

PC030010.jpg

as was the grill for the pop top vent.  I deliberately tried to get a close-to-but-not-exact match for the internal headlining and was quite pleased with the result.

PC030012.jpg

Throughout the day I had been throwing coloring in juice at those seats - initially with lacklustre results.  The seats were/are supposed to be white, but not a brilliant white.  More of an ivory/weathered bone type color. Also considering that the camper was over 30 years old when I had it, the seat vinyl was a little weathered and  aged.  I wanted a white but one that didn't look brand new.

After several poor trials I ended up with a mix of 1oz Semi gloss white with 3 drops of Intermediate grey, and 2 drops of Aged White (almost a "buff" color), and I think I got the result I was looking for.

PC030017.jpg

It's definitely a white, but stands out against the white of the interior, as it will against the exterior when that eventually gets done. The panel lines need a bit of work though :D.   Some dirt and grime should bring those lines out nicely - if only I could make a decent job of weathering but it's never been one of my strong points. At least I have plenty of seats to practice on.. 

PC030018.jpg

I'm still not sure what seat width I'm going to go with so in the last print run I used the CHitubox scaling tool to run a set of seats at 95% of the original width and another set at 90%.

PC030019.jpg

They've all been given a satin coat and left for the evening while I go curry hunting.  

• Like 20

All looking good here Alan. The vents in particular - it looks as though you've tweaked the upper and lower parts and reduced the thickness there, I don't think you'd get any better. Nice colouring in too, I think the roof interior looks excellent, maybe just a little smudging here and there with pastels to dirty it up a bit and it'll be good to go, but I'm with you on weathering not my strong point!

Ian

• Like 3

Another nice update. I too like that grille in the headlining. seat belt details etc look good.

We'll have young readers of this going around picking up empty fag packets now. Tsk!

And I can't help thinking that you'll need some weight in the front. With the engine and all that Milliput at the back, it'll be a tail sitter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great job on the vents, Alan :worthy:

All looking good, I think the seats color is spot on :clap:As for weathering them, there are so many different options... but having an idea (or picture) of the real ones would help choosing the most appropriate 

Ciao 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brandy said:

All looking good here Alan. The vents in particular - it looks as though you've tweaked the upper and lower parts and reduced the thickness there, I don't think you'd get any better. Nice colouring in too, I think the roof interior looks excellent, maybe just a little smudging here and there with pastels to dirty it up a bit and it'll be good to go, but I'm with you on weathering not my strong point!

Ian

I tried pastels on the interior roof Ian.  Close up it looked quite good, but at normal viewing distance it just looked grubby. I just can't seem to get the hang of weathering.

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Another nice update. I too like that grille in the headlining. seat belt details etc look good.

We'll have young readers of this going around picking up empty fag packets now. Tsk!

And I can't help thinking that you'll need some weight in the front. With the engine and all that Milliput at the back, it'll be a tail sitter!

I'll just print a scale model of me for the driver seat, that should add enough weight to the front.  Don't know if the tires will take the strain though

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job on the vents, Alan :worthy:

All looking good, I think the seats color is spot on :clap:As for weathering them, there are so many different options... but having an idea (or picture) of the real ones would help choosing the most appropriate 

Ciao 

I have photo's but the seat detail is all washed out.  The real seats were vinyl and had a light woven pattern - impossible to replicate in printing though.  I'll just keep muddling on.  I have a few spare seats to practice on so we'll see how that turns out.

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Tiny bits - fnaar! :D

Looking very good Alan, especially those belt bits and the seats. Lovin' it.

Thanks Ced.  Nice to see you back with the fnaars again.

9 hours ago, klubman01 said:

It looks better at every stage.  Love the small detail parts.

Trevor

thanks Trevor.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just to keep the conversion options flowing, here's another couple that I found out there...

<snip>

:spam:                                

Just a small update today as I'm going to be a busy man later on... the wife is flying back from Scotland tonight so I believe I have a number of chores to execute prior to her arrival if I want to have a life worth living over the next month.  There's also a hectic week ahead filled with doctor visits, vet visits, dentist visits and other general life gets in the way stuff to contend with. So much so that I have taken a weeks vacation but with the hope that I can make some detours downstairs when the opportunity arises.

What's been going on since yesterday then?  Well, I tried weathering one of the spare seats for a start.  I'm a bit mheh over the result.  Whenever I use a gloss coat the flory wash always wipes straight off leaving a clean plate that looks as if the flory was never applied.  This time I used a satin coat to see what happened. Well, the flory appears to have stained the satin.  It has left bits of dirt here and there but the staining is too severe for my liking.  I'll call this a fail.  I've now gloss coated a few spares so I can experiment some more to see if I can get any better results.

IMG-20221204-WA0009.jpg

Another detour was made to the underside to address another shortcoming of the snap together kit.   Thon silvery piece you see there is the kit exhaust and heat exchangers assembly.  Not great is it?

I've started modifying the heat exchanges from the spare engine I obtained back at the beginning of this build to see if I can adapt them somehow.

PC040011.jpg

I know it will never be completely accurate as the kit was never intended to have this level of detail but you can't have a VW flat 4 without heat exchangers can you.  It looks like they will fit with some hacking and cutting.

PC040012.jpg

The headlamps finally got a gloss coat over the Alclad polished aluminum.  I find that gives a more authentic chrome look than their Chrome itself.    I then proceeded to damage one while doing a test fit :D - just as well I have some spares printed and sitting waiting in the wings.

PC040013.jpg

I also printed and painted an aluminum door strip for the sliding door entrance.  My battered old camera can't pick up the fact that there are a number of grooves along the top surface. Even my old MkI's can pick those up, if I wear my magnifiers.

PC040015.jpg

As per SOP it was time for a quick mojo lifting dry fit to see how things have come along.  There's a long way to go yet before I can still start with any real assembly work but I am slowly getting there.

PC040016.jpg

I'm pleased with the way the interior is shaping up.  A porta potty and some other junk in there should really set things off.

PC040017.jpg

But now, on to the part some of you have been waiting for.  Those bloody air scoops. The things that have been scaring me since the beginning of this build.  I won't tell you how many times I've thought I should just have left those rectangular scoops in place as only the VW intelligentsia would ever know the difference. I always have to be awkward though.

Despite my misgivings things went remarkable well this morning and after attacking the milliput for some time I had the beginnings of a suitable looking bulge

PC040001.jpg

I found these little helpers invaluable. It's not often I resort to tools like these but in this instance they really came into their own.  There is a central spine of styrene(?) providing some (but not too much) rigidity, and there is a nice little foam sandwiched between the grit paper and the plastic spine.  That really helped me out when attacking those curves, and getting into the tight spaces.

PC040003.jpg

I had fully expected to sand through at least part of the printed scoop but things seemed to be going my way for once and I think I just about managed to get away with it.  There was minimal collateral damage to either the drip rail of the waist bulge.

PC040002.jpg

About an hours worth of careful sanding brought something approaching symmetry though at this stage it was quite hard to accurately determine the success, or not.  The orange plastic, the yellow milliput and the grey resin all combined to confuse my tired old eyes.  It was going to need a coat of primer to unify the mess and let me try and figure things out.

PC040004.jpg

Well, whaddya know...

PC040005.jpg

For a first pass I am more than happy with the result. Ecstatic even.   

PC040006.jpg

If I was being super critical, those bulges should be slightly more slab sided about the halfway point but I'll take this as a win.  There's a bit more refining to be done but all in all very little else other than fine tuning.  I fully expected to have at least one more milliputing session before getting anywhere near an acceptable shape.

PC040007.jpg

An unexpected bonus was the success of my resin to plastic butt joint, seen here in glorious horrorvision.  I was really concerned about how I was going to address that joint as trying to file or sand in that region was always going to be problematic at best, and always the danger of snapping or damaging those fins.  Based on this shot, some paint weeped into those tiny little gaps will do the job nicely.  I really don't think I could get the joint any better than that.

PC040009.jpg

I'm going to take a step back from modeling any more today and let this all sink in first.  The last thing I want to do now is rush the final shaping and go and ruin it.

Now I'm glad I decided to remove those rectangular scoops after all :D

• Like 23

The scoops look great, they really blended in well. I have no idea how they should look but that doesn't matter does it, as long as it looks right. At least, that's usually my take on modelling 🙂 

• Like 1

I think it's a scoop. Hold the front page! They look great to me too. For the gaps, a smear of Elmers white glue works for me. Smooth it down with a wet finger.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

I had the beginnings of a suitable looking bulge

Now then!

• Haha 4

A smear of PPP would also take care of those slight gaps. No need for sanding as it can be tidied up with a damp cotton bud or similar.

I'd be pretty chuffed at how well they've turned out too!

Ian

• Like 2

Magnificent work.  Tardiness on my part in finding my way back over to the WIP-V section meant that I had two great updates to read together.  Did I say magnificent?  I’m not sure.  I certainly had magnificent in mind to say.  Perhaps I’d better make sure.  Magnificent.  There; now I’m confident I’ve said it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Aha, was wondering where you'd got to. You've been on a camping road trip! Only had a quick look through the last update but it is looking very good. Will have a proper read through the whole thread tomorrow. 

Richie

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, JeroenS said:

The scoops look great, they really blended in well. I have no idea how they should look but that doesn't matter does it, as long as it looks right. At least, that's usually my take on modelling 🙂 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:00 AM, giemme said:

Fantastic job on those air scoops, Alan! :worthy: And the interiors are nothing short than impressive! :clap:  :clap:

Ciao

On 12/5/2022 at 5:49 AM, 81-er said:

Impressive work on the scoops, Alan!

James

On 12/5/2022 at 1:18 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I think it's a scoop. Hold the front page! They look great to me too. For the gaps, a smear of Elmers white glue works for me. Smooth it down with a wet finger.

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Wonderful work on the scoopy bits and some superb primering!

Terry.

thanks for the comments folks.  

On 12/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, Brandy said:

A smear of PPP would also take care of those slight gaps. No need for sanding as it can be tidied up with a damp cotton bud or similar.

I'd be pretty chuffed at how well they've turned out too!

Ian

If only you had written that a day earlier Ian.

23 hours ago, Fritag said:

Magnificent work.  Tardiness on my part in finding my way back over to the WIP-V section meant that I had two great updates to read together.  Did I say magnificent?  I’m not sure.  I certainly had magnificent in mind to say.  Perhaps I’d better make sure.  Magnificent.  There; now I’m confident I’ve said it.

You're after summat aren't you?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:18 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Now then!

It get worse if you can believe that Pete.

21 hours ago, RichieW said:

Aha, was wondering where you'd got to. You've been on a camping road trip! Only had a quick look through the last update but it is looking very good. Will have a proper read through the whole thread tomorrow. 

Richie

I have had a few pangs of nostlagia tweaking away at me during this build.   So much so that I even had a quick look on ebay to see what a decent '71 T2 is going for these days.  OUCH!

Have you ever spent hours beavering away on a model and then sit back, look at it and think to yourself "Where did all the work go?".   I seem to have spent the best part of 2 days grinding my fingers to the bone on this build and when I sat back to see the progress I was struggling to see any. Thankfully today's foray into plastic fettling yielded some better results.

Starting with some wheels, let the puns begin...

Nothing fancy here, just some white primer, then gloss coated and finished up with drilling a .5mm hole in each for the valve stem.

PC070002.jpg

They should look convincing enough when the hub caps get slapped on.

PC080021.jpg

The hub caps were a different story altogether.  They were originally heavily chromed and looked awful so I removed the chrome with oven spray.  What was left wasn't anything to write home about. Very poor definition and flash everywhere.  I'd be hard pushed to describe these things as round.  Being white plastic didn't help matters much as that made it a lot harder to see where a part ended and flash began.

PC070007.jpg

I was struggling as to how to deal with these hub caps.  It would have been easy to print some off, but getting a print alignment that didn't produce striations was going to be a challenge, and that would be a problem since they were going to be chromed.

In the end I decided to make a custom tool to help with the flash and roundness issues.   Jumping back on the lathe I grabbed some aluminum rod and drilled a hole just large enough to accept the hub cap. I then turned down the outer diameter to match (as best I could) the outer diameter of the plastic hubs...  I had a choice of diameters depending upon which hub cap I measured.

PC080008.jpg

Holding the hub cap in the tool allowed me to use a fine sanding stick around the outer edge to remove any flash and other defects such as gate vestige - you can just see a small speck of one of the gates on the edge here.

PC080009.jpg

Gloss black paint ensued as did some polished aluminum.  I'm not over the moon with the results - and this is the second time they've been done.  The surface finish on the plastic was not the greatest so they haven't really got a great shine to them, but I can convince myself that they do look like hub caps that have seen a few miles between cleans.  The hub caps on the 1:1 only lasted a few months before they started rusting, and they weren't cheap either.

PC080017.jpg

The printed headlamp surrounds had a much better result.  I applied a coat of clear gloss on top of the gloss black to see if that would help the finish and I think it has to a small degree.

PC080020.jpg

This next part is something I had completely forgotten about and only just caught by accident while scanning some reference shots.  It's the... wait - not sure if I should use these three words in the same sentence with Ced back on the prowl again... it's the... choke... pull... knob.   There. I've said it.  Is this one of those things where you repeat it three times and you see CedB in the mirror?

ANywyas, while the lathe was fired up I decided to turn the choke knob out of some brass.

PC080010.jpg

It goes here on the front of the wheel hump and will get painted black so will never ever get seen. By anyone. Even me.

PC080011.jpg

The printer spat out a small interior lamp at last run.  I know I should just have printed it in clear resin, but it seemed daft to have to clean and change out the vat for such a small thing.  It was easier just to print a base, then shape a piece of clear runner to pretend to be the lamp cover.  One of those things when laziness turns out to be more work.

PC080015.jpg

In a slight nod towards progress I stuck on the front panel.  Holy gaping chasms Batman.  That's a panel line and a half there.  On the 1:1 it's a smooth transition from the front panel to the windscreen surround.  Oh Revell! Why?

PC070001.jpg

I looked at my available fillers.  I had Tamiya Putty, Mr Dissolved Putty, and that was it.  I tend not to use a lot of fillers in my builds and find that in the past they are used so rarely that when I come to use them again they have dried up - so I stopped buying any.

This would have been an ideal job for PPP.  If I had any. Which I didn't.  Of course I didn't.

I wasn't too enamoured with the wiper mounting points either so without any planning ahead I filled those holes with some Airfix Spitfire cannons reasoning that somehow I will figure out what to do with the wipers later.  Probably.

PC070004.jpg

but I digress. I was talking about that horrible panel gap at the front wasn't I?   In the absence of a better way forwards I chose to use Mr Dissolved Putty.  Mr DIssolved Putty is great stuff. Gret stuff in the right circumstance, and this was not one of those circumstances I'm afraid.  It dries rock hard and while it sands well, this particular seam was a nightmare. There are two corved surfaces coming in to meet each other and are joined by another curved surface. Sort of like an "S" with a "C" hanging off the bottom, if you get my drift.

I had my first bash at sanding it, then hit it with primer to see how bad it was. It was bad.  I was trying deparately not to sand away any orange plastic, and the cured putty was almost the same color as the printer so it was very difficult to know where to start and when to stop, and pure guesswork in between.

Hours later, after smoothing back the cannons and drilling some wiper and washer holes (Revells were in the wrong location), and taking the greatest care trying not to wreak havoc on the front end I ended up with this. 

PC080013.jpg

I think it's going to be okay but I won't know until the orange coat goes on.   That's going to be a fun day.  I did oversand just below the bulge on the passenger side at the door so I'll need to feather that in a touch more, but overall I think this is acceptable for such a clumsy oaf as myself.

Then I read Ian's post and remember I had Spackle.  No Ced, it's not something you have to rub ointment on, it's a stuff.   Like Polyfilla.  Darn it :rage:  IF I had remembered that, the whole front seam thing could have been done in minutes, instead of many, many, many minutes. Lots of minutes. Gone forever.

After all that malarkey I spent a good hour or so wet sanding the primer getting ready for the top coat.  Of course I ended up going through in a couple of spots so had to prime, wait for it to cure, then wet sand again. (I had also reshaped the air scoops by this time, not that you can tell).

Now was a milestone moment - I was ready to paint the darned topcoat.  This was the main roadblock to me getting any assembly work done as masking for a topcoat afterwards would have been nightmarish.  

I spent ages shaking the rattle can to ensure I had a good consistent mix. Since the can had been sitting for a while it took a lot longer than the usual 3 minutes of shaking to get the little ball bearing moving freely. With the paint semingly mixed it was time to decanyt and get ready to spray.  What the...  White???

PC080012.jpg

Trying to be a good modeler (as you do... sometimes) I had spent a substantial amount of time researching which particualr white was used on the '71 T2 and based on reports from several forums settled on a "Heritage White" from Rustoleum.   I don't know what those VW forum posters were on but this was not even close.  The photo doesn't really do the color justice - it's a very creamy colored off white. 

Guess what?  I'm going with the SMS white primer as a final top color.  I'll wet sand and polish the primer and follow that up with a gloss coat.   No one will ever know.  I just gave it another coat for good measure and will let that cure overnight before I attack it with micromesh.

In a bid to make more progress I added some control levers to the floor heater vents. THis will get trimmed back to length (once I know whet the length should be) and use PVA glue to add some knobs on top.

PC080024.jpg

I have almost finished a complete bottle of the SMS white primer on this model so far so I eeked out some of the last few drops and colored in the remaining body parts.

Rear hatch.

PC080016.jpg

The sliding door finally got it's interior panel fitted and is now looking a lot more accurate.  I did some more coloring in though I'm not sure why I bothered as...

PC080014.jpg

since the door is going to be fitted in the open position, this is about all you will ever get to see of it.

PC080023.jpg

It's getting time to where I have to begin to think ahead and actually have plans in place for all those little things that jump up right at the end - such as the weather strip around the pop top.  The weather strip is black and while not immediately noticeable, if it wasn't there, you guessed it, it would be noticed.  I found this black wire in my stash and it's about the thinnest gauge I have. I'm not sure if it's going to be too much in-yer-face but can't really think of any alternatives at this point.

PC080022.jpg

You can just make it out in this shot, which also shows the bellows off to nice effect    arghhhhhhhhh

Graduation-022.jpg

Yup, I need to start thinking about how to make a convincing looking bellows for the pop top.    As much as I'd love to just print one, in this instance I don't think printing is the way to go as it will undoubtedly look too "perfect" and too uniform. It will look like a model.

I need something more ramshackle and less regular in shape.  I have a material in mind (I think), at least for the white parts. The clear parts may will provide a challenge.   

Oh bother.  Door seals.  If I'm doing this with doors open I'll need to try and bodge some door seals together as well.

• Like 12