Fw190 colour photo ...up on ebay but a Sa-Kuva image.... any details

Troy Smith

Looking for something else, 

spotted this

s-l400.jpg

some joker trying to flog a Sa-Kuva image, Finnish Military site, lots of historical images, but not always the easiest to search.

Anyway, I'd not seen this one before.   Does anyone have any information on this.  Since there were only6 a few Luftwaffe units based in Finland I presume more is known (or more images from set?) 

Note looks like the paint is worn off the back of the prop blades. 

@Antti_K  @FalkeEins  @SafetyDad  @G.R.Morrison   

Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey. JG 54 Fw 190 Jabo is being prepared for a new mission, Stukas returning from a sortie, Immola July 1944

spacer.png

..looks 'colorized' to me. Not a fan of fake photos personally..although others - and certain bi-monthly publications - seem to love them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..looks 'colorized' to me. Not a fan of fake photos personally

Me too, but if you can find it on Sa-Kuva,  that would confirm/deny if colourised.   Many of the images there are not well captioned,  things like "German Aircraft"  but in Finnish,  so while you can search,  it's often a lucky dip as to what you find.

There are a fair amount of colour images from Finland, so is possibly genuine, which is why I ask.   Thanks for the photo ID as well.

4 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

There is a Finnish book about the Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey in Finland by Hannu Valtonen.

Do you have this ?  

• Like 1

Terve Troy & Co.,

I made a search on SA -kuva and found exactly the same B+W photo as you did. I saw this well known photo in full colour in some magazine (probably in Suomen Sotilas) some time ago. They have colourised a fair amount of war time photos. I would say that originally this photo was B+W and the one you posted is colourised.

Key word "Immola" gave 293 B+W photos including some detailed close-ups of FW-190s and Ju-87Ds useful for a modeller.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Me too, but if you can find it on Sa-Kuva,  that would confirm/deny if colourised.   Many of the images there are not well captioned,  things like "German Aircraft"  but in Finnish,  so while you can search,  it's often a lucky dip as to what you find.

There are a fair amount of colour images from Finland, so is possibly genuine, which is why I ask.   Thanks for the photo ID as well.

Do you have this ?  

I am sorry but I don't have the book.A internet search showed that it is from 1980 and that it has been revised in 2007.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

On the German Bundesarchiv web page you can find a black and white picture from the same series and the description says Finnish soldiers at the maintenance of a Luftwaffe Focke Wulf Fw 190 in Russia.

Saluti

Giampiero

Now that's interesting. "Osasto Kuhlmey" was based at Immola Airport that is located on the Finnish side of the border (it's still an active airfield and the skeleton of one of the big hangars is still there).

I would say that the ground crew members are all German in the photo. My guess is based on the clothes and hair style. For example the Feldmutze (cap) visible below the propeller blade isn't Finnish, leather boots were normally used instead of shoes and so on.

Cheers,

Antti

This one was the "weiße 20" of the 4./JG 54 (so much for trusting 'colourisation').*  That's the I/SG 3 'returning from work,' equipped with Ju 87D-5s.  The photo date is given as 2.July 1944 (there were others, taken on the same occasion).

The book is Hannu Valtonen's Lento-Osasto Kuhlmey, Saksan Luftwaffe Suomen tukena kesällä 1944, 235 pages, thoroughly footnoted.  Besides fighter and attack aircraft, it includes the unit's transport and courier (and a couple reconnaissance) machines, and some portraiture, formal and informal.  Twenty-two B+W side profiles of various aircraft, and several maps.  (Whew!  Six 'and' in two sentences!).  It also has a very few photos from 'not-the summer-of-1944'

GRM

* in earlier-generation prints, the brightness distinction between the tone of the Kennung, and that of the Rumpfband and lower rudder is more noticeable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

GRM

* in earlier-generation prints, the brightness distinction between the tone of the Kennung, and that of the Rumpfband and lower rudder is more noticeable.

As here:

IMG_1723(1)

from the volume below. I'm not sure if this is the same as @G.R.Morrison describes above? I rather think not as it's a general account of Luftwaffe activities in Finland, rather than focusing upon a single unit. Usual conditions about posting this picture apply - namely for the purpose only of study/research and intentionally slightly distorted to discourage further reproduction.

This is one of a two volume set. These two volumes are full of pictures that I've never (or only rarely) seen before.

IMG_1725(1)

HTH

SD

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

These two volumes are full of pictures that I've never (or only rarely) seen before.

Likely from the Sa-Kuva archive.  The Finns took lots of photos and kept them.  

"FINNISH WARTIME PHOTOGRAPH ARCHIVE

What you have in front of you is a unique collection of photographs from the Wartime Photograph Archives ("SA-kuva-arkisto" in Finnish). It contains some 160,000 photographs from Finland's Winter War, Continuation War and Lapland War. Most of the pictures were taken by Information Company (IC) photographers.

Only the tones of the digitalised photographs have been slightly enhanced, otherwise the pictures are displayed in their original state. Please be advised: some of the photos can be disturbing and may cause distress to children and sensitive people.

WHY ARE THERE NO PICTURES FROM THE FRONTLINE IN THE WINTER WAR?

Photography in the additional war exercises of autumn 1939 and during the Winter War was completely random, and there was no time to arrange for systematic photography on the frontline. That is why most of the photos from the additional war exercises and the Winter War portray life on the home front, ruins from bombings, the war industry and events that happened behind the front lines. All in all there are some 11,000 photographs taken between 1939 and 1940.

THE CONTINUATION WAR: PHOTOGRAPHY BECOMES SYSTEMATIC

On the eve of the Continuation War in 1941, nine information companies (ICs) subordinate to the General Headquarters were formed. During the war, the number of ICs ranged from eight to twelve, and around 150 photographers served on the frontline. Photographs taken by the information companies led to the concept of "IC photography" (Finnish: TK-kuva) and the photographers were dubbed "IC photographers" (Finnish: TK-kuvaaja). In addition to recording actual battle, they were to collect material that was relevant from the point of view of military history and ethnography. Some pictures were released to the press, but most of them were never published.

A LEGACY AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE

During Finland's wars, the negatives and paper prints were archived in the General Headquarters' Photography Division. The photographs have been conserved in the General Headquarters' Photography Division and its subsequent organisation to this day. This legacy has now been digitised into our Wartime Archive and made available on the Internet for the benefit of the general public. The Wartime Photography Archive has been produced by the FDF's Photographic Centre and the service is provided by Anygraaf Inc. The negatives have been digitised by the National Library of Finland's Digitisation and Conversation Centre. The search functions are by Lingsoft Oy."

The archive is well worth a search, though it's not always easy

http://sa-kuva.fi/neo?tem=webneoeng

If you want the Fw190's and Ju-87,  search 'Lapland war' with 'Immola' as the search term

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1