"Schweinhund III" - Captain Duncan William Grinnell-Milne's SE5a - +++++FINISHED+++++

mark.au

18 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Oh wow,

Just beautiful.

Thanks Alistair, it's a fetching colour scheme, I'm glad we went with the red scheme.

17 hours ago, iang said:

That looks really nice. I'm also now thinking Silhouette Portrait 3........

You won't regret it Ian, it's a great tool.

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo lovely  that rigging looks Ace Msrk, definitely going to SWMBO's good books again!😉

Great work 

Chris 

I am, she likes it and the stripy Stearman is fading into distant memory.

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

Luck Mark? I’m pretty sure you’ll pull it off with typical skill - but if you insist; good luck :D (can’t expect any credit if it’s done by luck tho’ ;))

I suppose not luck in a literal sense, more in a hope-I-don't-screw-it-up-or-drop-it-or-otherwise-mess-something-up sense.  

After adding the lines to the turnbuckles on the top wing, I offered it all up to see what the alignment would be like.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Of the eight contact points five of them sat nicely so I glued those first and allowed them to set.  The rest were guided to place - or almost, one of the cabane struts just didn't want to cooperate - and with some gentle pressure for ten minutes or so, the upper wing was fixed in place.

spacer.png

Now it was time to start attaching the lines.  Gulp.

spacer.png

I decided to work from the inside front attached the turnbuckles and trimmed the lines.  Then, having trimmed the length of EZ Like such that the tine was straight but not particularly taught I attached the turnbuckles, one at a time, to the fuselage.

spacer.png

And soon enough - much sooner than I expected, I had the first two sets of lines in place.  Next, the outer forward pairs were attached following the same process.  Next, I turned the model around and repeated the process for the rear sets of lines.  These were more awkward and I had to work very carefully not to damage the lines already in place.  The result though, was very satisfying.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's not perfect, and if you look really closely you'll see it's a bit clunky.  And if you really study it closely, you'll also notice the upper wing is canted slightly to starboard.  But it passes casual muster and for my second attempt at rigging, first at a full WW1 style rigging pattern I'm not unhappy with it at all.

While various bits were drying through that process I worked on the machine gun and then mounted it.  I also fixed the propeller in place.

spacer.png

And then, when I leant back in the chair and looked hard at my little Schweinhund I realised that it was finished.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I called Mrs Mark.au over to look at my her little red biplane and she said she loved it, more than the Stearman.  So that's a win.

Thanks for following along, the comments and suggestions as well as the encouragement are all appreciated.

Cheers.

• Like 20

• mark.au changed the title to "Schweinhund III" - Captain Duncan William Grinnell-Milne's SE5a - +++++FINISHED+++++

Mark,

Lovely to see this finished, and as always some wonderful skill and technique on show. I should crack on and apply the same to your P38 :worthy:

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I am, she likes it and the stripy Stearman is fading into distant memory

Phew that is great news, make sure that you put the brownie points earned to good use😉

33 minutes ago, mark.au said:

But it passes casual muster and for my second attempt at rigging, first at a full WW1 style rigging pattern I'm not unhappy with it at all.

You'd never know this is only your second attempt a rigging and first WW1 model.

Looks absolutely stunning , great finish, great scheme, great work  Mark, nuff said!!!

Stunning

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

Lovely to see this finished, and as always some wonderful skill and technique on show. I should crack on and apply the same to your P38 :worthy:

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I may just slip into something Corsair-shaped before the P-38…

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Phew that is great news, make sure that you put the brownie points earned to good use😉

You'd never know this is only your second attempt a rigging and first WW1 model.

Thanks chris.  Brownie points are banked, I shall hold them till needed!

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

You always amaze me with your builds, Mark, and I find myself wondering "How will he top that?"  And then I see your next project.  She's absolutely bonzer.

Very kind JRK, I saw what you did there with the Aussie lingo… 😉

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Fan-tastic! Really nice job, very jewel-like. Nice to get a bit of colour in amongst all the PC10 too.

Regards,

Adrian

Coming from an expert practitioner of the dark art of 1/72 biplanes, high praise indeed.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

I saw what you did there with the Aussie lingo… 😉

Funnily enough it'a a word my brother and I used to use between us when we were younger, and it just slipped out whilst I was typing.  It seemed appropriate so I left it!

• Haha 1

Mark, I didn't follow your build and just stumbled across it by chance only at the end - impressive! :gobsmacked:  There's something about the finish of your paint job that I cannot describe better than with the word "perfect"! It's so neat, uniform yet not flat, enhancing details and shapes and at the same time giving an idea of harmony.... I'm totally envious!

:clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

There's something about the finish of your paint job that I cannot describe better than with the word "perfect"! It's so neat, uniform yet not flat, enhancing details and shapes and at the same time giving an idea of harmony.... I'm totally envious!

He’s basically an artist ain’t he.  Don’t tell him I said so though 🤫

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

... has a new magus amongst its ranks.

Congratulations on such a finely-wrought piece of work Mark, that is just so good.

Thank you Tony, but I must point out that mine is 1/32 scale, the true masters are those like Adrian that can do this stuff in 72nd scale.

16 hours ago, iang said:

Fantastic result, Mark

Thanks Ian.  By the way, I may well be calling upon your expertise in the next project.

13 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Funnily enough it'a a word my brother and I used to use between us when we were younger, and it just slipped out whilst I was typing.  It seemed appropriate so I left it!

It works for me.

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Mark, I didn't follow your build and just stumbled across it by chance only at the end - impressive! :gobsmacked:  There's something about the finish of your paint job that I cannot describe better than with the word "perfect"! It's so neat, uniform yet not flat, enhancing details and shapes and at the same time giving an idea of harmony.... I'm totally envious!

:clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thank you, that's very kind.  I cannot recommend the paints I use highly enough.  Unconventional they may be, but I find the results are second to none.

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

He’s basically an artist ain’t he.  Don’t tell him I said so though 🤫

If only I could build them like you can...

Glamour shots taken and RFI posted...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks again for the comments and encouragement, the collective generosity of BM is legend.

Cheers.

• Like 10

Not sure how I managed to miss this, maybe the timescale helped!

She's gorgeous, I hope you're proud of this one. 

One small point. The streamlined RAF wires didn't have turnbuckles. Turnbuckles are not the means of attaching, but of adjusting. Consequently any wires that do have them, only have them at one end.

That aside, it still looks great. I expect the next effort to be in the one true scale: 1:72!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Mark, in one word stunning and you pulled yourself out of the poo with your good lady, then?

The images do your build justice, you should be justly proud of the result. As I was away with my ex navy mates in the UK, I missed the run-up to the finishing line. MotoGP and rugby today, so I'll catch up later.

Good on yer mate.

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:13 PM, Brandy said:

One small point. The streamlined RAF wires didn't have turnbuckles. Turnbuckles are not the means of attaching, but of adjusting. Consequently any wires that do have them, only have them at one end.

That aside, it still looks great. I expect the next effort to be in the one true scale: 1:72!

Thanks  Ian.  And...  Oops.  I'll call them attachments 🙂

20 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Mark, in one word stunning and you pulled yourself out of the poo with your good lady, then?

The images do your build justice, you should be justly proud of the result. As I was away with my ex navy mates in the UK, I missed the run-up to the finishing line. MotoGP and rugby today, so I'll catch up later.

Good on yer mate.

Colin

Thanks Colin, hope you're have a good time in the UK!

15 hours ago, hendie said:

fantastic result Mark.  

Thank you, Allan.

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Such a beauty and done so quickly.

A pleasure to watch.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair.  I'm surprised at how quickly it all came to gather.  I started on 4 September and finished on 22nd, and I didn't really sit at the bench more than normal.  It's a very user-friendly kit.

I'm popping over to the Group Build section for a couple of projects; I'm going to slip a F4U-1D into the Canadian GB before it finishes and then into the P-38 STGB with an RAAF PR version.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...