"Schweinhund III" - Captain Duncan William Grinnell-Milne's SE5a - +++++FINISHED+++++

mark.au

On 9/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, bigbadbadge said:

the wrap around PC10 looks great Mark, as does your new painted Schweinhund III script.  Awesome work and well worth all your hard work. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, Macsporran said:

Congratulations on adding the wraparound: (sorry for causing the associated repairs though.) Looks great - every bit an SE.

I’m very glad to both pointed that out, I’d have regretted not doing that later on.  Sometimes I need a bit of guilt-inducing peer pressure to get me across the line on these things! 

On 9/12/2022 at 7:51 PM, Fastcat said:

Hi Mark,

No, I'm not a WWI "expert" either.

I first came across "Wind in the Wires" many years ago and I've read it through many times. It's not aimed at modellers, it's just a good read. Trying to get finite details from it requires much interpretation and not a little intuition but it's worth it because it deals with a young pilot's impressions rather than just facts. I intended to make a model of the same aircraft but like many such projects it fell on the heap of "to-dos". I don't usually do aircraft and even warplanes so this would have been an exception.

I don't feel cheated because yours turned out beautifully and looks just right, a difficult look to achieve but lovely if you get it right and you have. It has all the look of a well used machine, painted by a field crew.

Great model.

Dave

Thanks Dave, those are kind words.  I’ve found a copy of “Wind in the Wires” - it’s a ripping yarn so far, I’m enjoying it.

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lively Mark, I like the tape wrapping on the struts too, a great touch. Cracking work fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I’m glad I did that as it’s a bit of misdirection for the eye on the strut placement! 

7 hours ago, hendie said:

A striking looking aircraft Mark. That paint job is excellent

Thanks Allan, it’ll contrast well with the green/grey/blues in the display cabinet.  I’m glad my wife picked “the red one”.

7 hours ago, John Masters said:

Really first rate modelling, from the Stearman onwards.  That SE.5 is superb.  And, I am amazed that you were able to get a Roden kit to come together seemingly without any blue language.  That in itself is a worthy feat.  Beautiful.  Did you notice, btw, how the aircraft looks as a low-wing monoplane?  Interesting concept...

Thanks John, much appreciated.  Low wing monoplane indeed.  I reckon with a more powerful engine and a deeper thickness and steeper camber in the wing it would fly great!

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Brilliant work on the struts.

Liking the strapping. It certainly gives them a lot of visual interest.

The whole thing looks absolutely stunning.

Very kind Alistair, as usual; your encouragement is always much appreciated.

• Like 2

Rigging begins.  I started with the tail.  I used EZ Line because my nerves couldn’t handle anything else, though I might go back a replace the control lines with stretched sprue because the EZ Line looks under scale to me. Anyway, here’s the finished tail.

spacer.png

The CMK turnbuckles are easy to use but they look over scale to me.  I didn’t use them on the fin, instead I used PVA glue blobs which I subsequently painted aluminium.  I like those better except in macro :).  What you see on top is replicated underneath.  

Next I moved on to the cabane struts.  This was easier as photos don’t show visible turnbuckles - visible to me at least - so I only needed to thread the EZ Line through the pre drilled holes and secure with CA glue.  

spacer.png

I dislodged one of the cabane struts during that operation though, so I needed to refix it and then had to respray some clear flat finish to remove the shiny spots from various spots of ill-placed CA glue.  But, it’s done and it looks ok I think.

There’s a couple of hours work there and it was surprisingly tiring.  There’s a higher level of concentration require [of me ] to do this kind of stuff and a couple of hours is enough.  

I’ll work on the main struts next, then it’ll be on to the main show.

Cheers.

• Like 19

On 9/15/2022 at 8:57 PM, Quiet Mike said:

All this effort really shows on the build though Mark, it's looking fantastic, even under the unforgiving eye of a macro lens!

…and clever lighting and thoughtful angles 😉

On 9/16/2022 at 4:35 AM, AliGauld said:

Absolutely splendid.

Isn't rigging fun. :wicked:

Is it though..?  :D 

On 9/16/2022 at 5:09 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent to see the rigging started Mark, looks great too.  The rigging really starts bringing a model to life.  

Great work 

Chris

This is but the overture, the real fun is yet to begin!

23 hours ago, Fritag said:

You’re such a neat worker Mark, it’s just not natural! Respect :D

I refer you to my earlier comment about lighting and angles…

8 hours ago, hendie said:

I can't wait to see the upper plank in place - and that's when the fun really starts.  I'm sure you will cope admirably with the task

Do you notice anything @Fritag-like in how the pace has slowed as we approach that task? How I’m finding other jobs to do like the propeller? 😬

I’m in Sydney for the weekend so no progress to show, but I did fill the sink marks in the propeller and clean them up yesterday before leaving Canberra.  Back Monday when I’ll continue work on the prop… and wing struts - they’re both wood painted.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2022 at 19:31, mark.au said:

There’s a couple of hours work there and it was surprisingly tiring.

Lovely work Mark - I'm studiously avoiding rigging the Stringbag for exactly that reason!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i) Mrs.Mark.au clearly has impeccable taste 🤓

ii) Very interesting subject, back story and graphics.

iii) Stirling work on the rigging and control wires. Agree about the CMK turnbuckles.

iv) Ripper result so far.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 7:09 AM, TheBaron said:

Oh but this just gets better and better with each successive layer of detail you add Mark. Pure class.

Hope you have a good time in Sydney.

Thank you Tony.  I did indeed have a good time in Sydney; I was able to get a nice long ride on Sunday morning in some of the Sydney gorges, had post-ride coffee with a mate and then a late lunch and evening with some good friends.  And I was still able to rouse myself at 5am Monday morning to attend the meeting which was the excuse/purpose of the trip.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:17 AM, Dunny said:

Lovely work Mark - I'm studiously avoiding rigging the Stringbag for exactly that reason!

Cheers,

Roger

You cannot avoid it forever, one day that P-38 will be finished my friend.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, Maginot said:

i) Mrs.Mark.au clearly has impeccable taste 🤓

ii) Very interesting subject, back story and graphics.

iii) Stirling work on the rigging and control wires. Agree about the CMK turnbuckles.

iv) Ripper result so far.

I cannot argue with i or ii.  Thank you on iii and iv - and I have decided to keep using them but I believe I can make them less obvious on the wings - will see and make a game day decision.

Since last we met I have painted and attached the main struts and fixed a gap - literally - in the engine area.  

The struts were painted beige and then overpainted with Tamiya Clear Orange which I then distressed before a final coat of semi-gloss clear.  The brackets were painted with a black/aluminium mix to represent an enamel-like finish.  I’m not sure of course if that’s exactly right but it seems fair enough looking at photos.  In the photo below they are dry fitted only.

spacer.png

The gap I fixed was in the four holes.  If I’d included the engine there would have been some little metal-coloured bits poking out of them. To fill the holes I cut some small square plastic rod and painted them.  Then cut them to length such that they were just proud of the cowling.  Not totally accurate but good representation.

I glued the struts in place and turned my attention to the propeller.  There’s some artistic license here as I wanted to have a go at a laminated prop and I don’t know whether that’s accurate or not.  Mrs Mark.au liked the idea, and it is her model after all.

I started with beige again, and then masked for a dark chestnut brown.

spacer.png

When the dark brown was dry, I used a pencil to create a very light grain before a final overspray with a blending coat of well thinned Clear Orange.

Last I painted the steel front plate and bolts, added a wash and called it done

spacer.png

The pic below where it’s at now.  The struts are glued and setting.  My next task is to add the rigging to the top wing before attaching it to the struts.  As Allan says, that’s when the fun really starts.

spacer.png

Thanks for following along.  Cheers.

• Like 12

Hiya Mark,

I've just read through this thread from the top and it's fantastic. The model looks amazing and I'm in awe of your paintwork. The SE5a will look superb when it's finished; Mrs Mark.au should be very pleased. 

Selling the stripy Stearman (another superb model) was definitely a tactical error, though... 🙂

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate it when you do close up shots like that.  It makes my  stuff look like I've used a paint roller and really brings home how poor my painting skills are. 

Mrs Mark.au is going to be very pleased (and rightly so) with your her model when your done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, gents.

On 9/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, Jonners said:

Selling the stripy Stearman (another superb model) was definitely a tactical error, though... 🙂

Without doubt, but…

On 9/20/2022 at 9:17 PM, hendie said:

Mrs Mark.au is going to be very pleased (and rightly so) with your her model when your done.

…I have high hopes this is the tactical recovery.

I picked the last of the low hanging fruit this session.  First the intra-strut rigging and then the single lines from bottom wing to cabane struts.

spacer.png

I thinned down the CMK turnbuckles and I think they look ok now.

spacer.png

I’ve added the turnbuckles to the top wing, next will add the EZ Lines before attaching the wing.  

spacer.png

That’s it, there is no more easy stuff.  Wish me luck.

Cheers.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Thanks for the kind words, gents.

Without doubt, but…

…I have high hopes this is the tactical recovery.

I picked the last of the low hanging fruit this session.  First the intra-strut rigging and then the single lines from bottom wing to cabane struts.

spacer.png

I thinned down the CMK turnbuckles and I think they look ok now.

spacer.png

I’ve added the turnbuckles to the top wing, next will add the EZ Lines before attaching the wing.  

spacer.png

Cheers.

Oh wow,

Just beautiful.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2022 at 13:14, mark.au said:

Moving inextricably closer to rigging…

Tonight I added the cabane(sp?) struts.  Their placement is quite unsupported on the model; it’s clear where they go but there’s no assistance as to their lateral or longitudinal angle.  To try and get them right I measured the locating holes on the upper wing and made some simple templates.  First I attached the front pair which photos of 1:1 scale SE5a’s show as at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the fuselage.  Using gel CA glue because it cures slower, I set them in place vertically and then used the template to space them laterally.  I used my eye to set them symmetrically.  I then followed the same process for the rear pair using the front pair as datums for the lateral spacing and a new template for longitudinal.  Here’s a pic of the latter to show what I mean.

spacer.png

It’s also clear I have a slight twist in the port rear strut.  Oh well.

As can be seen, I’d previously wrapped these struts with tape to represent wrapping I’d seen on these struts in some contemporary photos.  It’s impossible to know whether the wrapping was on my SE5a but it adds visual interest so it’s there.

I also added the last bits and pieces to the fuselage such the windshield, machine gun and its sight.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With those attached I applied the finishing coats of clear flat/semi-flat to the airframe.  I made the metal and plywood sections a little glossier than the fabric and varied the finish on the wings a little to represent uneven weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aside from the tail control wires and rigging, plus some chalks I plan to apply on the exhaust and the wheels, and a little glossing to the leather surround on the cockpit, the lower fuselage is finished bar the wing struts.  When those are in place I shall begin rigging.

Cheers.

That looks really nice. I'm also now thinking Silhouette Portrait 3........

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Luck Mark? I’m pretty sure you’ll pull it off with typical skill - but if you insist; good luck :D (can’t expect any credit if it’s done by luck tho’ ;))

• Haha 1