WiP - 1/48 Eduard Albatros DVa

Hi all - I have decided to start another 1/48 DVa. Having built several before, this time, I have gone with the Revell boxing, which is a re-box of the Eduard kit. Revell have moulded this kit in a very light grey and slightly brittle plastic.

Reflecting upon the fact that a tightly cowled Albie hides all of its secrets, I decided to bite the bullet and tackle something that i've wanted to do for a while; an un-cowled DVa.

The first thing to do, unsurprisingly, was cut off the kit cowls, and thin down the fuselage sidewalls. I sanded off all of the interior detail, and thinned down the interior of the nose section with a dremel:

oJpWMtA.jpg

Now, the real challenge... how do deal with those curves, and build all of the distinctive formers? Having sanded the fuselage, it was now not simply a round symmetrical section that I could use. I also really didn't want to make up each frame painstakingly by hand. I decided that I would use my Silhouette Portrait cutter to cut the formers from thin plastic. That would also allow me to design the lightening holes and have them cut out cleanly.

To do this, the first thing I did was roughly get the shape of each frame using thin plastic. Some of the shapes were going to be a bit 'odd', due to the way that the plastic had been sanded, creating shapes / contours that weren't quite oval (mainly at the point of the firewall, as you can see I needed a slightly odd shape here):

fgyU4st.jpg

This then allowed me to scan the shapes into the Silhouette drawing program, and trace out each shape. The appropriate details were then added:

FCaPaAp.jpg

I then used the Shilhouette Portrait cutter to cut the shapes from 0.010" plastic. I had to use this plastic thickness as anything thicker would have been too hard to cut. This plastic was too thin in and of itself for each frame, so in order to provide some rigidity I cut two pieces for each frame and glued them together:

QdbufUX.jpg
HDFesVk.jpg

I then had the frames I needed to create the main structural elements:

adkmqnd.jpg
0hacS51.jpg
tB2RqiH.jpg
J2Bkwac.jpg
3dTUEdK.jpg

Next was re-adding the structural detail in the fuselage halves:

JdI4KLk.jpg

And here it all is, VERY roughly placed within the fuselage. It may need a couple of adjustments here and there, but I think it will all work.

VmdveUH.jpg
7DGZ77M.jpg
4AvxiBy.jpg

And proof the fuselage halves still come together... 

b4hzxh2.jpg
dqR7lvu.jpg
5wxIwqx.jpg
4I5KgYq.jpg

I now have the basis to commence the rest of the interior. Phew...! 

Happy to take comments, tips and feedback.

Cheers again!

BC

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

On 9/4/2022 at 9:46 PM, billn53 said:

I didn’t realize one could do that with a Silhouette

Me, neither! Another reason to get one. You're a sick man, Mr Cancian! 🤣

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!  

Work slowly continues.

I decided that, without a nice aftermarket Mercedes D.IIIa engine in my hands, to take one from a very old Roden Fokker D.VII build I put together back around 2007, and salvage it.  Here's what it looked like when I started:

QCfVh48.jpg

Detail removed (one of the bug bears I have with the Roden engine is that it has the ignition wire tube that runs lengthwise across all of the cylinders moulded in. This is clunky and unrealistic, so it needed to be chopped):

4fw0LTu.jpg

The engine cleaned up, showing a solid enough basis for additional detail:

mGvgTZj.jpg

DL0PsRT.jpg

And some detail added. I think that will do well enough once painted up:

2SgM2cz.jpg

sLMJBPP.jpg

QYgUWh8.jpg

UwOiwYi.jpg

YpN5uSD.jpg

Knpobzv.jpg

This afternoon I built the fuel tanks from laminates of plastic sheet, cut and sanded to shape. Details were from plastic, wire and solder:

5MySL4S.jpg
8WsifcF.jpg

In its future home:

7S92lkw.jpg
ZgTF18l.jpg

I also scratch built an oil tank. Here's the whole set up sitting in place. I think the engine bay should now look adequately 'busy' once it's all painted up. I'll add more detail once the main engine bay painting is done.

PjBnsH7.jpg
PjBnsH7.jpg
v5PjN0I.jpg

Next, with the key elements of the engine bay constructed, i'll probably shift my attention back to the cockpit.

Cheers!

BC

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2