Philip Goldstein and the story of his P-38J

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Nice scheme, I didn’t know about the stripes on the tailplane.

AW

Thank you AW, Ive seen it on other models and the instructions. Im still not sure if they're real or not ? However I cannot find any photo’s of lightnings from the 49th FS or 14th FG to verify/deny. Every photo Ive found so far shows the lightning from the wings forward. I have found confirmation of the red props/nose cap with a wartime color photo of a sister aircraft. I’m going to hold off on the tail #’s and other decals until a week before the group build is over. In the hopes I can prove one way or the other. That way I can repaint if necessary. 

• Like 1

Well I am happy to report that the stripes and nose/spinner color’s are 100% correct. I started this thread up in WW2 aviation chat.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235116150-looking-for-full-airframe-photo’s-of-49th-fs14th-fg-p-38j’s-in-italy/

I was shown an great description of not only the colors used, but 3 photo’s of each of the squadrons in the group. One of which is a photo of my plane that I’ve never seen before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone … Finally feeling better and was able to catch up on some things the last couple of nights. ysUBEPn.jpg

PShb3n3.jpg

wfuYFXl.jpg

vLvX4Et.jpg

wSOpHyh.jpg

Z32Jwy8.jpg

oYfNRvP.jpg

JsYkdmT.jpg

9HqCACd.jpg

joCKaa6.jpg

I did goof on one area of the markings because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the photo’s and profile. Bonus points to anyone that can find it and point it out. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

That's looking pretty fantastic, Dennis! I'm not up enough on that plane to spot your goof, so it can't be a big one. Not much to do before it's in the gallery now?

James

• Thanks 1

Props are done amongst the other dozen or so that needed finishing. FY2UZJF.jpg

Three Spitfire, Five Mustang, and two from the P-38. These are all builds that are pretty much done with exceptions for landing gear and props with a bit of weathering. Im trying to get these done by the end of the year. 

Dennis

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Props are done amongst the other dozen or so that needed finishing. FY2UZJF.jpg

Three Spitfire, Five Mustang, and two from the P-38. These are all builds that are pretty much done with exceptions for landing gear and props with a bit of weathering. Im trying to get these done by the end of the year. 

Dennis

Wow that's a cool picture!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm .. Two weeks ? My apologies everyone for not updating this. Ive been really busy and dealing with Doctors so real life taking precedence here. I did get to do the weathering on this so now its just canopy painting and landing gear. SH7maz6.jpg

qPTlhU1.jpg

pwDlD4v.jpg

zhjEymv.jpg

OZX1Mlc.jpg

rNdRpvo.jpg

pL7xMMc.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

It's really looking great Dennis, deftly weathered.

I hope your health is OK, or if sadly it's else than that it will get better soonest.

Thank you … Sadly Im sure it wont ever be 100%. I have a number of standard ailments for someone in his early 50’s. Particularly one that never really took care of ones self to any great degree. Currently have a broken right foot, of which my Podiatrist cannot figure out how it happened. Its a sport related injury and I cannot play sports due to my disability ? Its a repeat of what happened to my left foot in 2016/2017. I could post photo’s of my feet but I would like to keep members from 🤮 so I wont. Lets just say that if I could detach both Id have a matching pair of Boomerangs. 🪃🪃

Diagnosis is to get to a point where the bones are stable then surgery to align and pin all of them. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Sad 4

That does not sound fun at all Dennis. You have my utmost sympathies, I’ve got a couple of close friends with disabilities, so I know how much of an impact those can make to your daily life in a world designed for the abled.

James

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That does not sound fun at all Dennis. You have my utmost sympathies, I’ve got a couple of close friends with disabilities, so I know how much of an impact those can make to your daily life in a world designed for the abled.

James

Thank you James, its so frustrating Ive considered running for public office here. Most everyone complies with our disability anti-discrimination laws but only to the barest of minimums. Which are so poor they do almost no good as is. 

On 11/12/2022 at 1:22 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you James, its so frustrating Ive considered running for public office here. Most everyone complies with our disability anti-discrimination laws but only to the barest of minimums. Which are so poor they do almost no good as is. 

I spent my career in a large public company. During half of it, my main task was to find a suitable job for workers (from and inside that same company) who couldn't go further with their usual one due to medical decisions. It was an almost everyday's fight. I sincerely hope surgery will make it easier for you.

Friendly regards.

Pat

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry that you have got health issues  Dennis. Hoping that you can get it sorted without too much stress - sometimes just trying to organise your treatment is the hardest part.

The build is looking great and the weathering is spot on, especially on the nose - very subtle variations going on there.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone … Calling this one done, though honestly I’m not happy with it. It will be the only Academy P-38 I build. Monogram, Hasegawa, or Tamiya from here on. The main reason and I only figured it out once the gear were on. It sits about 1/2 high and looks absolutely wrong to my eyes ? Either the gear are designed wrong or the mounting tabs are in the incorrect location. d0Aa9cB.jpg

KoS927B.jpg

kBQmft0.jpg

zCnFu0V.jpg

Please feel free to post questions or comments. 

Dennis

• Like 5