Philip Goldstein and the story of his P-38J

Hello Everyone …. I will be building Academy’s 1/48 late P-38, this will be in the markings of Philip Goldstein’s “JEWBOY”. This is a plane Ive had to build since I first saw the story and photo’s. 

http://theyweresoldiers.com/index.php/2017/05/01/the-flight-of-jewboy-a-jewish-p-38-lightning-pilot-in-the-second-world-war/

http://www.bassentertainmentpictures.com/

The decals come from a Kagero top colors set and look to be of good quality. Ive not worked with them before. I will add the obligatory sprue photo’s later today. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Ok Here goes the contents of the Box +. lSPGywg.jpg

Kit Decals plus the Kagero sheet.ZosCguM.jpg

Close-up of my specific markings.smvp0rp.jpg

Now besides whats on this sheet these are all my back up options. A second set of Putt Putt Maru, Itsy Bitsy II, Bong’s Marge, “YIPPEE”, and about 1/2 dozen others. mYqdyOL.jpg

VvUiJqH.jpg

Now the obligatory sprue shots. VqG74jc.jpg

ofvdBT5.jpg

9cyQBOq.jpg

lUaZROX.jpg

With all my stuff for P-38’s I could modify two each Droop snoot, F-5 recon, and Night-Litening’s, as well as a Pathfinder. Provided of course I had all the base kits. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Good morning everyone … Well I was able to start this tonight. Cockpit is done and Will move onto the booms assemblies next according to the instructions. XH4blGt.jpg

qlq9UZi.jpg

KpBsGrg.jpg

I will add seatbelts to this also but the paint was still tacky at this point. yVEHXKf.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

Did a little more work today, I added what appears to be a rollover bar in the rear decking area. T6SCaBM.jpg

Then I built up the booms. Rq6kWMf.jpg

I did try to test fit one and can tell this will be a tricky fit on the lower wing/boom connections. I did try to find an old Revell/Monogram P-38 as I can put them together in my sleep. Sadly none to be had locally. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Good evening everybody … Well we have an airframe now. Started with the final cockpit bits. qeKrIbi.jpg

Added the seatbelts and glued the upper wing onto everything. Im looking at this and if some has an academy and a Monogram kit in 1/48 could you measure the wingspan ? The Academy looks longer than I think it should be, maybe its an optical illusion. This could be because its been four years since Ive done a P-38 let alone one in 1/48. 

P5d0Q3I.jpg

I did paint the rollover bar to finish the office off. I added 14.7 gram weight each to the booms and nose, so a grand total of 44 grams. 

qpkYCMp.jpg

I can do this ⬇️ because the gun barrels slide in from the front, unlike Monogram or Tamiya which slide in from the rear. 

vJdSTkp.jpg

The nose and forward nacelles do fit but will need some judicious sanding and polishing to level everything out. Its all just a bit off, maybe by 1/2 mm so nothing major but enough to be annoying. Other than that the few gaps can be filled with a touch of surfacer or Tamiya fine filler. Most are on what are access panels on the nose and upper wing/boom joins. kv1XYxc.jpg

At this point ⬆️ the tail is just popped in to keep tension on the booms so they don't creep inwards. Next was to glue the rear horizontal tail to get that all tied together. 8Quffic.jpg

And finally a view from the front. w8BrRAk.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

Nice choice of subject, it's the same I was considering but mine would have been in 1/72 scale. I always loved Goldstein's story and his defiance toward the Nazis in the choice of a name for his aircraft.

What colour will you chose for the spinners ? I've seen both red and blue mentioned but I've not started any proper research into this

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Nice choice of subject, it's the same I was considering but mine would have been in 1/72 scale. I always loved Goldstein's story and his defiance toward the Nazis in the choice of a name for his aircraft.

What colour will you chose for the spinners ? I've seen both red and blue mentioned but I've not started any proper research into this

Thank you, I am going with Red as I believe that to be accurate for the color of the 14th and the 49th. I also think the red falls in line with the mediterranean red spinner I.D. orders that were in use earlier in the war. It is very likely they carried it on through the rest of the war. If in the end Im wrong I can always repaint them. 

• Like 1

wow Dennis you've made a great start to her, I do like the work in the cockpit.

The Academy kit does go together nicely and quickly as well, only thing that occasionally causes issues is the tail booms can be a wee bit twisted, yours looks perfectly fine.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

wow Dennis you've made a great start to her, I do like the work in the cockpit.

The Academy kit does go together nicely and quickly as well, only thing that occasionally causes issues is the tail booms can be a wee bit twisted, yours looks perfectly fine.

Its all sanded now just needs a re-scribe and polish. It has a slight twist to the booms. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Good morning everybody … So I finished up the polishing and re-scribing on this tonight. Next up is to add the canopy and then head to paint. Which should be towards the end of the week as I need to build up another kit for a different group build. Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everybody … Paint was started on this today. I did the yellow/blue stripes on the tail surfaces. Followed by the Olive drab on the nose and nacelles for the anti-glare areas. MamReW0.jpg

0L9z258.jpg

3uCFHe9.jpg

PB5GOBu.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions or post comment's. 

Dennis

• Like 6