Burago metal kits

Bobby No Mac

Anyone had experience of these?

A self-confessed Alfa nut, I was given one of these as a Christmas present 22 years ago.

spacer.png

I got back into the hobby about two years ago and started lamenting giving this kit away to a charity shop. However, it turned up during a recent house move in a bag of stuff to give away. Looking at it now, it's not so much a kit than a deconstructed diecast.

spacer.png

The decals may have seen better days (though they are Cartograph), but given how it's got a road-going interior I'm quite tempted to paint it blue like the 156 I owned - my first car. It won't be strictly accurate because mine was the later face-lifted version, but this is as close as I'm going to get. Filling the holes in the boot lid for rear wing fittings could be tricky though.

spacer.png

I suppose the most amazing thing about this metal kit is, given it's an Alfa and over 20 years old, the body hasn't rusted! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Anyone had experience of these?

Not this exact one, but I did build several of Bburago's 1:18 metal kits as a child.

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Looking at it now, it's not so much a kit than a deconstructed diecast

Because that's exactly what it is!

TBH, I reckon that the kit versions are better than the built ones though as detailing / corrections / repainting etc can all be done easily without loosing any badging decals etc.

• Like 3

On 03/09/2022 at 18:12, Bobby No Mac said:

Filling the holes in the boot lid for rear wing fittings could be tricky though.

Given it's metal they should be quite easy - I'd superglue some plasticard backing inside the boot and just fill the holes with actual car body filler. I find this generally sands and feathers in better than model filler on plastic does.... :)

Keith

• Like 2

I have gone through some of these Bburago kits during my years.

The body have normaly been good, but some details (welding / casting joint) is bad. These have been removed and paint stripped off.

It becomes a nice model after some work. Very  nice.

From somewhere, sorry I do not rememer, i bought some TransKit for some Ferrari-models. These became very detailed. Others I made the details my self.

Others I bought extra wheels/rims for. Good resoult.

Your model can be whatever you want. Pleasent starting point!

8- )

• Like 4

I've seen a detailed-up version of the Bburago Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, although billed as 1:18 I'm not sure how close to scale it is.  The main change that I remember was a set of wire wheels, which really improved the appearance.

I like the 1/18 Bburago kits, I still have quite a few in my stash and continue to search out the rarer ones.  You are correct in that really they are not much more than deconstructed die-casts, but for me they hark back to an era when even Dinky made a few kits and their simplicity is good when perhaps your modelling mojo is a bit low.  
I’m  not sure how much detail is in the 1/24 models, but the 1/18s have plenty enough, and with a bit of paint detailing/weathering can turn out very nicely.

I built some of these years (and years) ago and remember them being pretty cool. There was a Porsche and a Lancia rally car, both in Italian colours. Fun to build, looked good when done. The only downside were that the decals tended to flake and crack... though admittedly that was probably due to a lack of decals skillz on my part... I'm sure some varnish would have been an idea...

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of the Burago Atlante  coupes in 1/24th scale that I intend to strip and rebuild with decent wire wheels and generally improve the detailing.

As lower end die casts, they do tend to be a bit basic. But with a bit of work many of them can be turned into decent scale models.

• Like 3