Hawker Hunter 1/48 scale Airfix

I'm posting my just completed Airfix Hawker Hunter 1:48 scale.

Its quite a substantial kit, and the box art is A+. There are enough redundant parts to get started

on a number of different versions. Three tail sections, different nose etc, but not the larger wing tanks or F6 onwards flaps, which is a pity. 

From extra parts included that aren't mentioned in the instructions, it's actually more straightforward to go off-piste, and NOT make the box F5 version

(which obliges you to cut off the stepped leading-edge wing in the kit) 🤔

52331580213_54f67a5f1a_b.jpg

F6A XF382
So having read up a little (actually, a lot of) history of the type, I settled on building an F6A, XF382 from the 1976 Greenham Common air tattoo. There are static display photos from that event to help show the way. According to the excellent source Weebly.com  XF382 was originally built as an F6 in 1956 at AWA's Baginton factory, as part of a licensed production batch for Hawker.

There's a comprehensive history of this airframe's journey on the website. 

XF382 was paid for under the United States Military Aid Program. This funding method was news to me.

She is displayed at the Midland Air Museum, Coventry. Apparently as a permanent loan from the USAF Museum, who are custodians of all such funded aircraft.

The colour scheme I've based my model on was applied in January 1975, when XF382 joined 234 Squadron Tactical Weapons Unit at RAF Brawdy in South Wales. On the same day, major damage to the starboard intake occurred when the starter unit exploded.  She resumed squadron flying in March 1976 after the repair, and conversion to F6A spec with tail parachute, which is included in the Airfix kit👍  

XF382 F6A displayed at the 1976 Greenham Common Air Tatoo

spacer.png

My model

I attended the 1976 air tattoo as a teenager, so it's probable I did cast my eyes on XF382 back in the day, as I recall a long line of Hunters parked up.

Some AM parts were added, including the 230 gallon drop tanks, and the tyres. Mixed results with AM, if I'm honest. I left off the tank steady straps as I didn't think I would avoid making a huge glue mess on the side of the tank. I was scratching my head with where Airfix represented the port canopy emergency release with scribing.

Based on photos, I moved it a few mm's forward, and made it more of a feature by drilling a suitable hole which I then filled with glue n glaze.

I also made holes for the gun pack winch attachment points both sides, and the engine bearing circular cooler outlets on the flanks behind the wings.

Both features are often prominent on photos of active aircraft. I cut off the skid-protectors from the 2 spare tail sections provided in the kit to provide the upper-wing pylon explosive release units fitted to XF382, as they seem quite close enough in size and shape in 1/48 scale. The execution was probably an item best left off, like the tank straps 😜     

I've mixed individual decals from 2 sets available from Hannants (FHP48223 & X48189). 

52330378952_7b3477f23f_b.jpg

Overall I'm reasonably pleased with the final result, which represents a fair reflection on what I did ok, and equally reflective of parts of the process that didn't work so well for me. 

I trust the potted history was sufficiently intriguing. I'd be happy if the finished kit encourages more people to present their interpretations of this amazing aircraft.

Shoreham airshow tragedy aside, I don't believe and hope wasn't due to a defect with the aircraft.

Anyway, I'm definitely not done with Hunters yet and have more in my stash! 

spacer.png    

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in. All critiques in good faith accepted in advance.

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to people taking time out to react to my post. This is always appreciated.

One thing I didn't cover is the dedication Airfix put into their ground crew stencils for this model.

There are over 80 of them in the kit decal set 😂  All fully legible script, under zoom eye wear.

Since completion, they are (were) more or less all invisible, due to light reflection off the surface.

Also taking into account the actual Greenham Hunter was not shiny, yesterday I gambled and decided to give the Hunter a flat clear final layer.

I do like this revised finish. It has made the decals 'pop' better, although the previous nice gleam is gone.

Also, now the gun pack jacking-points and other highlighted details are a tad more obvious.

I thought I might swap out the existing images in this post with the revised set.

However, any previous comments about finish then wouldn't be talking about the same thing.

Below are the revised 'flat finish' images: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it, thanks for looking, and apologies for the change of direction 'post launch'.

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Great looking Hunter.  I like the flatter finish, too.

The matt finish was more appropriate for Hunters, and other RAF/FAA/Army/Royal Marines aircraft wearing the tactical national markings as now depicted by @Winded Penguin on his model.  That said the original gloss finish was redolent of the Hunter’s heyday and wouldn’t be out of place on a restored or museum aircraft.  In either case it’s a great looking model of one of the RAF’s best-loved aeroplanes.

• Like 1

Top notch modelling!

Your Hunter wants to come to life. What a splendid build.

JR

• Like 1