B-25 aftermarket cowlings 1/48

Rakovica

Hi to all!

While the HK just announced a new 1/48 scale B-25J, I'm trying to equip my vintage Accurate Miniatures B-25D with as much aftermarket as possible. The cowlings should be first on the list.

I originally intended to get those from Quickboost, their set 48038, but then I came across this article, from 2009 apparently:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/1368-obzor-1-48-B-25-engine-cowling--QuickBoost-vs-DMold.html

... which pretty much caused me quite a headache. 

However, after little more searching and googling, I found out that the QB set 48038 was reportedly re-tolled in 2015:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-48-038-b-25g-h-j-cowlings--174106

... which would mean there are no fit problems any more, right? Hm, I don't now but I was hoping that someone here would know. 

Also, if there is some quality available alternative (so, no DMold sadly), please say it here. 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Hi, returning modeller here after ten year hiatus and well out of touch. I’ve got the Academy B25 waiting to start,which I believe is ex Accurate Miniatures but didn’t know there is a problem with the cowls. Does anyone know what the problem is with the kit parts?

TIA

Richard

The cowlings are ok shape wise but it is the opening that is a bit constricted. That can be fixed by sanding down the edges of the inside opening. It can be done using the sandpaper wrapped around your finger or a piece of wood Dowling. The last time I saw aftermarket cowlings on Ebay they went for 55.00 usd with 10.00 shipping. That could buy you a new kit. There are tutorials on the web that show how to correct the cowls. Supposedly AM corrected the cowls but I haven't seen any difference. I used sandpaper and I think the cowl openings look fine but that's just me being a cheapskate. Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rakovica said:

The cowlings should be first on the list.

3 hours ago, Spitfires Forever said:

That can be fixed by sanding down the edges of the inside opening. It can be done using the sandpaper wrapped around your finger or a piece of wood Dowling. The last time I saw aftermarket cowlings on Ebay they went for 55.00 usd with 10.00 shipping. That could buy you a new kit. There are tutorials on the web that show how to correct the cowls.

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/b25g.htm

"Amongst the more lengthy lists of what was wrong with it (it seems some people will complain about every little detail), it seems that there were rather vociferous damning of the engine cowlings. Frankly, they look a bit small to me as well. Apparently AM got the opening diameter wrong and they should be larger. Rather than spend the money on an expensive resin replacement, I just got a nice piece of 180 sand paper, rolled it up, stuck it in the cowling and twisted it around a few times. In no time at all, larger cowling openings!"

b25gc.jpg

b25gb.jpg

Buy resin if you wish....or use "some modelling skill"  ;) 

With things like this, always worth trying the fix,  if you don't like it there is always the AM route.   Or use the Monogram B-25J cowls?   

5 hours ago, Rakovica said:

I'm trying to equip my vintage Accurate Miniatures B-25D with as much aftermarket as possible.

Right, not all AM is the same, or needed, or even accurate.... Don't presume it is.   Or that a needed fix is covered. 

One thing that has been commented on the front nose glazing,  but seems that you can use the Monogram J nose. 

HTH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Bigger problen is the droop of the glass nose. I've read replacing it with a vac part for a monogram kit might work.

Read the thread I linked above. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088889-fixing-the-nose-glazing-of-the-acc-minacademyitaleri-b-25cd/

• Thanks 1

OK, some may view this as heresy,  but as a matter of curiosity, I dragged out an original issue Monogram B-25J (Panchito), the original issue Accurate Miniatures B-25B (Doolittle), and the AM B-25G conversion set  and did some measurements and comparisons.

First impressions on the cowls - the AM cowl opening is smaller, yes. But only by 0.5 MM or less!  Monogram - 17.89mm, AM B-25B - 17.65mm,  AM B-25G - 17.72MM. The impression of a 'choked' AM cowl comes from the fact that the Monogram cowl lip tapers more rapidly to the front - giving the impression of a thicker cowl lip to the AM cowl. When measured at the first panel line (where the cowl lip meets the cowl sides)  Mon - 27.81mm, AM 28.38mm. The Monogram lip tapers flatter (more like a cone) than the rounded AM cowl. Which is more accurate, I don't know, but I feel the problem has been miss-identified.

The Bombardiers glass nose that is 'supposedly "squashed"' -  the AM is actually taller! 

The "squashed" impression comes from several factors - in cross section, the Mon. top and bottom are flatter, while the AM is noticeably rounder in cross section.  In side view, the 'roof' line on the Mon is flatter, while the AM is much more 'bulged' at the top, bring the front down more sharply than the Monogram. However, when you measure from the bottom front of the solid nose to the the top of the glass (extrapolating a straight line up from the front the solid nose) the AM is actually taller Mon. - 25.38mm, AM - 26.17mm. The Mon. and AM nose glass would be interchangeable, but for the different cross sections.

The last part of the "squashed" appearance is that the lowest frame line on the AM glass is misplaced too low, giving a "squashed" look to the first line of windows at the front.

In an ideal world, a correction would be to sand and polish the top bulge down on the AM and reposition the lowest frame line to more closely match the Monogram, if one assumes that the Monogram is correct.

Note - these are first impressions, and I have not attached the nose to the fuselage to see if there are other issues.

Image1

Image2

Image7

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image8

A Heretic

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Thanks 3

While on the subject of B-25s in 1/48th scale, is the Revell B-25C/D which is available just now a re-issue of the Accurate Miniatures B-25C/D?  And can anyone tell me what the parts included but not used are for in that kit please? They include a set of smooth engine cowlings and additional or alternative guns, amongst other items.

(I don't think I have an AM B-25 in my stash, but must check, just in case. It has got a trifle out of hand! )

John B

25 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

While on the subject of B-25s in 1/48th scale, is the Revell B-25C/D which is available just now a re-issue of the Accurate Miniatures B-25C/D? 

AFAIK, yes.  Academy got the AM moulds, and have sold bagged kits to Italeri, and now Revell.

25 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

And can anyone tell me what the parts included but not used are for in that kit please? They include a set of smooth engine cowlings and additional or alternative guns, amongst other items.

Look on Scalemates, they usually have the instructions available as .pdf for various kits, which should show what is what.  I'm guessing that the Revell boxing has all the parts to do all the variants AM did,  The smooth engine parts are for the B-25B I think.  

HTH

On 03/09/2022 at 17:46, Tail-Dragon said:

OK, some may view this as heresy,

what, actually comparing parts as opposed to internet myths and rumours!!!

Thanks for doing this Colin,  very helpful and informative.

I'm not that up on the B-25,  though the 70's era Monogram kits are noted for being very good in overall shape and dimensions, I think this was still the Bill Koster era, who was very good at getting things to look right.

As with all this,  its next a photo hunt, and ideally some actual dimensions.  

FWIW

North-American-B-25J-Mitchell-00001.jpg?

52331830694_0d43271649_b.jpg

The Monogram looks closer to the photo.

North-American-B-25J-Mitchell-00039.jpg?

52331580331_89b6aff944_b.jpg

again, the Mono looks closer, but, that I the B-25B cowl I think? 

HTH

and thanks again to @Tail-Dragon  for taking the time to do this