Jaguar 420

Ratch

I'm not usually a car builder, it's not that I've never built one, but I tend to do other things (Jack of all trades, master of none). This year's motor is the Airfix Jaguar 420. A look inside the box reveals a many more parts than I anticipated. 
52328702317_ddd4f39392_z.jpg
I immediately washed the runners in warm, soapy water and allowed them to air dry.  With 52 assembly stages it seems more complex than any Airfix car I’ve tackled previously. I like to decide upon the finish I’ll work to before commencing. I perform a googleimage search which reveals cars in many colours that I cannot replicate or on cars with two tone schemes separated by chrome trim, which this model does not portray. Also, it is hard to find references that include images of the interior trim. I did find one site with an abundance of references for a BRG 420, though I’m a little apprehensive about airbrushing Humbrol Acrylic 239 Gloss British Racing Green. I’m leaning toward following the instructions but using Vallejo Model Air 71066 Gold (Metallic) for the coachwork. I dipped the transparencies in Klear to protect them from scratches.
52329902998_aacbb3ec80_z.jpg
I'm currently mulling over how to tackle this. Maybe a series of sub-assemblies, painted before final assembly. What colour primer to use:- Black for gold or grey for green? Not being a regular car builder, I've never been entirely happy with my car builds, but you have to keep trying don't you. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 6

Not sure about anyone else, but if it was me doing the painting I would probably go with grey if doing BRG or white if doing Gold. Black would workif you were trying to get gold metal, but I think you were talking about Gold paint in which case the white is probably a better choice.

• Thanks 1

Good choice of kit.  I used Valejo model air gold metallic over Tamiya fine grey primer.

y4m2Nt3P5V6a5-hdZ8CVgT0uGkJPIvxKIzpEoK-_

There's a lot of cleaning up to do on the parts but it makes a nice-looking car.  Just don't do what I did and remove the detail on the rear pillar.  If I were making another I'd probably try and build it in metallic light blue, trying to replicate Opalescent Silver Blue (I think Jaguar called it).

• Like 3

I decided to experiment with various undercoats or primers for my options of coachwork to see which turns out best. I use a test mule for this before committing to the model. From left to right I sprayed:
Vallejo Acrylic 74600 White Polyurethane Surface Primer
Vallejo Acrylic 74601 Grey Polyurethane Surface Primer
Vallejo Acrylic 74604 German Dark Yellow RAL7028 Polyurethane Surface Primer
Vallejo Model Air 71002 Medium Yellow
Vallejo Acrylic 74602 Gloss Black Polyurethane Surface Primer 
for Vallejo Model Air 71066 Gold (Metallic)
then
Vallejo Acrylic 74601 Grey Polyurethane Surface Primer
Vallejo Acrylic 74604 German Dark Yellow RAL7028 Polyurethane Surface Primer
Vallejo Model Air 71012 Dark Green
Vallejo Acrylic 74602 Gloss Black Polyurethane Surface Primer
for Humbrol Acrylic 239 Gloss British Racing Green
52331230300_2823ac49db_c.jpg
Here are the results after the overspray.
52331098604_6d81d1c849_c.jpg
I will take time to consider the options.
52331230285_d073b5cbfb_c.jpg
The final image has the light from a different angle.

• Like 2

While constructing the engine I discovered that part 7 has gone AWOL (maybe it was never there) so I had to scratch a replacement. I think it just about passes muster. I’m flitting backwards and forwards preparing parts in advance and putting little sub-assemblies together. The dashboard is being painted before assembly.
52335427912_33d8ac66eb_z.jpg
52335427907_5aaea627d6_z.jpg

I have opted for gold with tan leather interior. These parts have been primed grey, with yellow for the gold coachwork. The chrome and metallic parts have been primed black.
52336810560_9beed61285_z.jpg

• Like 8

Looking really good so far, especially the dashboard and I love the patina on the seats.  I really, REALLY hesitated before mentioning this, but as a former owner of a 420 dare I point out that the steering wheel is upside down? The horn ring occupies the lower half of the wheel when the steering is centred.  My apologies if you're already aware of this.  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah.  for who-knows-what reason whoever took those did so with a fair degree of lock on.  See the following Google search...  I think you must have had the misfortune to happen across the only set of images on the 'Net that showed a degree of steering lock on.

Still, you could always set the front wheels about ten degrees left or right and everyone will think it's deliberate.  :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a very left-field observation. The box art appears to (faintly) show a female companion in the front passenger seat, seemingly entranced by his driving skills and overjoyed at the fact that they are travelling in a Gold Jaguar, which should make those stuck-up Smithsons at No. 42 envious ..... Is she part of the kit? If so, could you paint her as Patsy from Ab Fab, because the box art reminds me of her hairstyle?

• Haha 2

Since Airfix forgot to supply a female companion to match the box art, it seems like a conversion from a spare seated 1/32 figure is called for. Starting suggestion: using green stuff, mould a 1970s hairstyle onto a spare Aifix Multipose Afrika Korps soldier (because it was Airfix's oversight) wearing desert shorts and long boots, and pretend "she" is wearing hotpants and pink leather boots. As a younger Patsy might have done, whizzing about Londonshire in a gold Jag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great, I reckon it'll look a treat like that.  When I were a lad I used to pose most of my models on full lock as I thought they looked at their best that way.  The 420 certainly will!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ratch said:

I have hopefully set the steering rack to a full lock as I was unable to reposition the steering wheel.
52349729543_0b2ec9660d_z.jpg

Strictly speaking the 420 (and every Mk.2 derivative) had a steering box rather than a rack ;) 

• Thanks 1

The 4.2 Litre engine was fitted in the bay.
52352955256_e1bebefcc8_z.jpg

I then fitted the radiator, 
52352955366_e4b0418b07_z.jpg
52352955376_274bb509bd_z.jpg

followed by the exhaust system. 
52352955241_0656534bb7_z.jpg

The half shaft was slotted into the engine and the rear axle and drive transfer assembled and fitted. 
52353198758_645103e784_z.jpg

While this set, I put the windows into the body of the compartment.
52352014317_617c2f70b0_z.jpg
52353277249_a94d81c92f_z.jpg

• Like 7

Installation of the rear suspension was tricky. I found aligning the five parts troublesome and having got them together, I’m not convinced the whole is true and square.
52356708212_c3c222bc19_z.jpg
The instructions would also have you believe that the wheels will freely rotate. This is not the case. The sleeve that fits into the centre of the wheel is so tight that rotation is impossible. As I do not intend to play with the vehicle this is not a problem. The concept of working parts clearly points back to the time that model kits were intended as toys to be played with and not scale models in the sense we apply today.
52358081035_ffdf35114a_z.jpg

• Like 6