HMHS Britannic - Based on Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic - by Kevin - Started September 2022

Hi Kevin,

The two rearmost cargo hatches remained in the same place, but an additional hatch coaming was created through the new 'awning' deck that spanned the previously open well deck on Olympic/Titanic. On Olympic/Titanic the after cargo hatches were 'trunked' from their openings in the (C) deck wells all the way down to the holds themselves. I don't know on Britannic if this trunking was continued all the way up to the new (B) awning deck. I suspect not. I suspect the hatches on (B) would be a simple openings with the hatches below them on (C) remaining the weather-tight hatch coamings as per O/T. I follow the principle that the designers would make the fewest changes possible to achieve the desired result- i.e. covering the aft well deck while still allowing ease of cargo handling and not compromising weather tightness. My gut instinct would be to build your after well deck as-per the Titanic kit instructions, and then simply add another couple of simple hatch coamings to the new (B) deck 'awning' deck that you have created.

Also worth noting that the centre pair of the three sets of aft cargo cranes were raised one deck, bringing them in line with the rearmost pair which on Olympic/Titanic were already seated on B deck (poop). I am less certain about the steam winches and warping drums situated on O/T in the shelter (C) deck wells, but I would be all but certain that on Britannic they remained on the shelter (C) deck- there's no practical gain to moving them up a deck, and plenty of serious structural/handling complications in contriving a way of doing so.

There aren't a lot of references out there specially focused on Britannic, but the best I've come across is "The Unseen Britannic: The Ship in Rare Illustrations" by Simon Mills. 

Hope that helps. Continued to be excited to follow the project. I only wish I could afford to build the 1/200 Titanic kit out of the box; the thought of following a Britannic conversion is very exciting!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Hi Kevin,

The two rearmost cargo hatches remained in the same place, but an additional hatch coaming was created through the new 'awning' deck that spanned the previously open well deck on Olympic/Titanic. On Olympic/Titanic the after cargo hatches were 'trunked' from their openings in the (C) deck wells all the way down to the holds themselves. I don't know on Britannic if this trunking was continued all the way up to the new (B) awning deck. I suspect not. I suspect the hatches on (B) would be a simple openings with the hatches below them on (C) remaining the weather-tight hatch coamings as per O/T. I follow the principle that the designers would make the fewest changes possible to achieve the desired result- i.e. covering the aft well deck while still allowing ease of cargo handling and not compromising weather tightness. My gut instinct would be to build your after well deck as-per the Titanic kit instructions, and then simply add another couple of simple hatch coamings to the new (B) deck 'awning' deck that you have created.

Also worth noting that the centre pair of the three sets of aft cargo cranes were raised one deck, bringing them in line with the rearmost pair which on Olympic/Titanic were already seated on B deck (poop). I am less certain about the steam winches and warping drums situated on O/T in the shelter (C) deck wells, but I would be all but certain that on Britannic they remained on the shelter (C) deck- there's no practical gain to moving them up a deck, and plenty of serious structural/handling complications in contriving a way of doing so.

There aren't a lot of references out there specially focused on Britannic, but the best I've come across is "The Unseen Britannic: The Ship in Rare Illustrations" by Simon Mills. 

Hope that helps. Continued to be excited to follow the project. I only wish I could afford to build the 1/200 Titanic kit out of the box; the thought of following a Britannic conversion is very exciting!

Will

Will thank you so very much indeed, fully appreachiate yr reply and time taken

Edited by Kevin Aris

On 9/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Kevin Aris said:

Will thank you so very much indeed, fully appreachiate yr reply and time taken

No worries Kevin. I've studied Titanic pretty extensively over the years and have a decent reference library. My knowledge of Britannic is rather inferior (as I suspect is that of most Titanic scholars) but don't hesitate to reach out if you've got a sticking point in your build. I might be able to dig out a reference to save you the bother of buying some rather expensive books! ("Titanic-The Ship Magnificent", for instance, is currently fetching about £75 per volume!)

Will

3 hours ago, Killingholme said:

No worries Kevin. I've studied Titanic pretty extensively over the years and have a decent reference library. My knowledge of Britannic is rather inferior (as I suspect is that of most Titanic scholars) but don't hesitate to reach out if you've got a sticking point in your build. I might be able to dig out a reference to save you the bother of buying some rather expensive books! ("Titanic-The Ship Magnificent", for instance, is currently fetching about £75 per volume!)

Will

good evening Will

the Britannc is quickly becomming a hot topic of debate, but i do open myself up when posting on social media (Facebook) in some of the deicated groups, 

I will not be buying every upgrade kit there is, i could easly spend  another £1000 on this, and i dont want to do that, i have a new wooden kit coming onto the maket for that price around the end of the year 

i have the KAMK1 upgrade set and i will purchase the cranes/davits from Shapeways, which means the rest will have to be scratched, that creates by biggest issue with B&C deck windows  I dont think i will be able to resolve that issue, 

I discoved that night that the hatch issue on the after well deck was trunkways i need to correct that

Today i made up the extra after deck, but not quite finished so will update my log tomorrow

i have the books you refer to , Titanic-The Ship Magnificent" they are very good even though most of the photos refer to Olyimpic 

"The Unseen Britannic: just bought for £4 on amazon

BUT i was pointed out this yeaterday, and is brilliant in did cost me £12 through Steam 

Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterranean 

On 12/09/2022 at 11:39, Killingholme said:

Hi Kevin,

Will

In Simon Mills HMHS Britannic The Last Titan there's a facsimile of the deck plans as intended for passenger service prior to conversion to a hospital ship (I suspect taken from The Shipbuilder magazine), these suggest the hatches were trunked through to B deck, as does this photo in the IWM archives, if you zoom in on the well deck area you can see right through the ship except where the hatch trunkings would be.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs MEDICINE DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR: MEDICAL TRANSPORT. © IWM (Q 73422) IWM Non Commercial License

I'd agree the electric winch, warping drums and mooring bollards would remain in the same positions in the well deck as was.

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone

thank you for comments and likes

DAY 18

Portholes, i dont want to spend several hundred pounds sorting out the rivets and portholes, but i can make a couple of changes so some of the kit widows are being filled in to make her look a bit like the BritannicIMG_4739.thumb.JPG.be200cba2cd913168b2d7IMG_4741.thumb.JPG.cb5271d75d8b52ff41e43IMG_4746.thumb.JPG.b6516a0cf24ce24ffa33bIMG_4732.thumb.JPG.00f1618e30c3e79e87798

internal decks are haing PE windows fitted

lighting is ongoing

IMG_4724.thumb.JPG.70b83cab6580d0a8b48ffIMG_4731.thumb.JPG.316b432fcf01f84f27a54IMG_4748.thumb.JPG.c320248f387f70cda8077IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.3b93b3887e9357c25a4e1

preshading, i hate airbrushing but i want a dirty hull, so the top coverage will not be perfect

IMG_4763.thumb.JPG.10473c2942cd8b0973dd6IMG_4767.thumb.JPG.7c5187e63246c483bf38aIMG_4772.thumb.JPG.c42cb6793f74a30afdcf6IMG_4774.thumb.JPG.ceb52cccdac9875e02e3e

revisited the enclosed after deck and sorted the hatch truckways and the new 2nd class gymnasium

IMG_4797.thumb.JPG.cd83718882b1973d70396IMG_4800.thumb.JPG.94b91bbe171eb3b17e534

also on the top deck is a childrens play room this still needs work, im not happy with it at allIMG_4783.thumb.JPG.fac5bb271bffee36f132aIMG_4785.thumb.JPG.4e26212e71a75adad6865IMG_4786.thumb.JPG.4cc1f8b17b170f861b3ac

IMG_4786.thumb.JPG.4cc1f8b17b170f861b3ac

i think some primer is requiredIMG_4792.thumb.JPG.5268db6d3ed067ff0d778

IMG_4802.thumb.JPG.c1e7285846d9c8042d2be

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Yipes! This has moved on since I last dropped by. Very sound work there Kev

with the hull being one piece, foredeck and poop with the mainm sides tit builds up very fast with minimal amout of bits, value for money wrt the amout of plastic, the kit is over priced, especially considering how badly it has been designed

• Like 1

I have just caught up with this and am totally amazed at what you have done so far. That lighting system too is staggering. There is lots of inspiration going on with this build.

You don't tend to do 'small' do you, this is another massive build!

Ray

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I have just caught up with this and am totally amazed at what you have done so far. That lighting system too is staggering. There is lots of inspiration going on with this build.

You don't tend to do 'small' do you, this is another massive build!

Ray

maybe the most amazing thing will be that one day i will finish something, its been a while since i completed a ship

good evening everyone

day 22

over the weekend i did some photo etch and made up some of the winches and pumps

IMG_4829.thumb.JPG.13cae2eef2e89bceadf8fIMG_4830.thumb.JPG.3022587553c00bbae65bdIMG_4831.thumb.JPG.d2ae42ab6b128b6ac9c39

then i revisited the preverbial pain, that being the after welll deck. i was getting lots of light bleed so it was all ripped out and resorted

its better now, and the bulkheads dont glow anymoreIMG_4806.thumb.JPG.e499fb7b1cc142047ffd8IMG_4837.thumb.JPG.93bbe52c681fb7b5f5d9cIMG_4840.thumb.JPG.4ad2bc4aada6d3ddbddabIMG_4843.thumb.JPG.4890830084c4f8f923326

• Like 7

good Morning everyone

Thank you for comments and likes

day 23 forward well deck cargo hatches

the Britannic had a very different fwd well deck to the Titanic with raised cargo hatches up to the height of the focastle,

between these hatches are doors, so i am at present still trying to work out whats was in there, possibly access to ladders to the holds

titanic kit,

IMG_4847.thumb.JPG.cd0086c8f1f2f36641dd0

IMG_4848.thumb.JPG.f9fff787aa0f12cac102c

the hatch covers, and vents and winches are from the KAMK1 kit the rest is scratched, temp colours for now to illiminate lightr bleed

IMG_4849.thumb.JPG.a14fa962e7572ad21c82aIMG_4850.thumb.JPG.077579707f7383dc49263IMG_4853.thumb.JPG.15b13ecbad72b7a31e70bIMG_4855.thumb.JPG.9d08539654d22e2ee0fdf

• Like 3

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes

day 24 putting airbrush demons to bed

at long last i have sucessfully used the airbrush twice, and got decent results, i like Tamiya paints, i hate vajello primer 

Hospital ships of the era were painted white and Military hospital ships were also identitified with green bands , i may have used too dark a green but it will be staying like this (for now anyway (not tempting fate)

Hospital ship - Wikipedia

a small amount of touching up to do

IMG_4862.thumb.JPG.8795ae16b4e8afa42743eIMG_4862.thumb.JPG.8795ae16b4e8afa42743eIMG_4863.thumb.JPG.06613c82efa55467c6f48IMG_4864.thumb.JPG.7189a24cd47c9bd583b92IMG_4865.thumb.JPG.e61038085024ead519f93IMG_4868.thumb.JPG.d237ba30b3e11befad019IMG_4869.thumb.JPG.77c7a820d09e4c78b7650

• Like 6