Aston Martin DBR1 - 1/32

Still digging up the past - I made this one about 3 years ago. It originally started as a slot-car kit but it was built as a static model.

I've always liked Astons, particularly the DBR1 but for some reason there never was a kit in 1/24, although Merit did a very ancient kit of the  DB3S. Nowadays, Profil24 do a good kit of the DBR1 - at a price!

My model came from a late lamented GP Miniatures resin kit but George Turner Models stepped in with a nice DBR1 in 1/32 so there is still a modern kit in this much neglected scale.

The amount of work to produce a static model shouldn't be under estimated. I first had to get rid of the provision for a slot guide at the front and then completely scratch build an interior. The seats came from an Airfix "Monty's Humber", the only parts of that kit which I had lying around from an earlier day. I just knew they'd come in handy one day! I also made the exhaust and cover from metal which gave a much more realistic effect, being careful to match the hole pattern in the cover to the car depicted as this varied according to the race. The rest of the body was refined, especially around the front wing outlets and some semblance of an engine was added to avoid a "see through" look.

It's not perfect but, hey, what is? I like it because it's an Aston and at the time, overcame the lack of a kit.

P1040163 P1040158 P1040157 P1040156 P1040153 P1040154 P1040151 P1040150

With apologies for the photography!

Dave

• Like 40

Hi Neddy,

Thanks.

No, the tonneau was included and moulded in with the kit. All I did was thinned it down and added the beading around the edge. If I'd had to make a tonneau from scratch I'd probably start with kitchen foil cut to shape and the creases added. Old fashioned I know, but the creases will stay in and the foil should hold its shape well.

Dave 

P.S. I think the colour was Multona 0667 touch up spray. I've not used this paint before but it sprayed better than my usual Halford's brand and went on easily from the can. Apparently, Astons used a clear, green tinted lacquer over bare aluminium, hence the difficulty in matching the colour but I couldn't be bothered with all the experimentation involved. So I took the easy route! 

Edited by Fastcat
Brain fade
  • Like 3

Looks just fantastic,I didn’t they made this one,what wheels did you use? I can’t rate these George Turner models highly enough. I’ve made a few of his Jags as static models and had to make complete interiors,but the kits are first class.Excellent! Chris.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris and thanks for the nice words.

I can't remember the exact wheels except that they were p/e. I think that they came with the kit. The tyres were certainly the kit tyres suitably scuffed. The wheels in GP Miniatures early kits were very good but later ones somehow looked a little wrong. I'm not sure why. The difference with the GPM over the George Turner Models kits is that GPM included wheels and a good deal of p/e while George Turner's were resin only. This Aston is a little larger than 1/32 which doesn't worry me but in its original purpose as a slot-car would put purists off, being closely bound by rules. Georges are more accurate but he's been known to make them a bit on the wide side.

Dave 

Edited by Fastcat
  • Like 2

Hi Steve and many thanks.

That looks like a very well thumbed book!

I'm not sure why Astons have had such a poor coverage apart from those connected with the Bond theme. Maybe they aren't mainstream enough. As far as I know, the only modern kits in 1/24 are in resin and by Profil, although Fernando Pinto does a Robin Hamilton creation.

My car is by GP Miniatures but I think it is no longer available. GP Miniatures was a one man concern run by Graham Poulson, hence the GP which didn't stand for Grand Prix. His models, originally meant for slot car use, were mainly of Aston Martins and contained a lot of p/e. They were nice models, nearly good enough for statics but quite expensive. He eventually became disillusioned with them not selling well enough to make a living and sold the moulds to Pendle Slot Racing who still market them. I was lucky enough to buy one of his early kits before he gave up.

Thanks dnl42. The badge was a lapel badge bought on eBay. I pulled off the pin with a pair of pliers and stuck it to the base with Araldite.

Thanks Trevor. Glad you liked it and the only way I could get that version of a DBR1.

Dave 

Many thanks HOUSTON, I very much appreciate your kind words. Graham Poulson (the master modeller) captured the looks just about right and without his input it wouldn't be the same. I believe he started off with the very ancient Scalextric model and worked it up from there. I'm just glad he did!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve and thanks.

Yes, I've always liked the DBR1 and it's still a stunning shape. Hard to believe just how old it is. Got to be one of my all-time favourites.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...