1/48 Blenheim IV?

Cameron Lynch

Any word on if/when Airfix is going to release a Mark IV from their previously release Mk I kit in 1/48?  Or perhaps an aftermarket conversion?  I could swear I saw one mentioned somewhere.  Not sure why we haven't seen anything newer than the old Classic Airframes kit.

IIRC Airfix have already stated that they won't be doing a Mk. IV. I've seen nothing to indicate that any aftermarket producer has a conversion set planned, so it looks as though the choice is Classic Airframes or Classic Airframes.

Has anyone looked into the feasibility of using the Classic Airframes transparent nose and required cockpit parts on the Airfix Blenheim Mk I?  Were there other differences on the airframe aft of the cockpit, wings, or engines that would complicate this?

Seems to me that the BofB memorial flight Blenheim had the Bolingbroke (Cdn built Mk IV style) removed and the Mk I nose installed. This should be do-able in reverse.

And of course, Classic Airframes did use the same airframe for all of their Blenheim's

Edited by Tail-Dragon

BOB flight does not have a Blenheim. It's operated privately!

And yes, they removed the Mk IV  nose, and replaced it with the MK I from what I understand. I think there was a little more to it than that, but that was the overall situation. I personally do not have the CA Blenheim, so cannot comment on the feasibility of what you suggest. But like any good kitbash - can't see why not! 

11 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Has anyone looked into the feasibility of using the Classic Airframes transparent nose and required cockpit parts on the Airfix Blenheim Mk I?

Well, kinda-sorta casually.  I also saw both kits built by the same person at a show last spring, and to be honest I liked the CA IV better in some ways.  Why not just build the CA kit, which you'd have to have in order to have the nose to stick on the Airfix?

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, kinda-sorta casually.  I also saw both kits built by the same person at a show last spring, and to be honest I liked the CA IV better in some ways.  Why not just build the CA kit, which you'd have to have in order to have the nose to stick on the Airfix?

Well, I have build the CA Blenheim IV, and been happy with the result. I just wonder if there is a shorter, less bumpy road!

I guess nothing comes easily!

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Blackbird Models in Sheffield (not a friend of the forum IIRC) has one planned if enough enquire maybe it'll get released sooner rather than later. I was told that the Sanger vacform front end would fit...it doesn't.

Blackbird models is talking of releasing a 1/48 Lancaster II (radial) conversion, also.  Eagerly awaited!

Is there an issue with Blackbird and Britmodeller? First I've heard of it, and it would be most unfortunate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Blackbird models is talking of releasing a 1/48 Lancaster II (radial) conversion, also.  Eagerly awaited!

Is there an issue with Blackbird and Britmodeller? First I've heard of it, and it would be most unfortunate.

Sent a PM...

• Like 1