The Big Fella - Martinsyde type A II.

Marklo

So this is as much a statement of intent and a request for help as the start of a build thread.

It’s the centenary of the formation of the Irish Air Corp, and the Martinsyde was the Air Corps first plane. So what better model to mark the event.

136-EA749-50-FD-4722-988-D-44-DDC08-D082This is the beast.

76-E9-F185-BEE1-4-C54-8678-BB59-EE423-DBBut I have a slight problem, this is the closest drawing I can get hold of; and notwithstanding the obvious fuselage and rudder differences I’m not sure if the planview is correct for the Big Fella. 
So can anyone point me in the direction of a correct plan view?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, matti64 said:

source for maybe a better set of drawings   http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft30097.htm   citing the  Putnam volume..British civil aircraft since 1919 vol.3

Thanks. That looks much closer the tail configuration is the same as the Big Fella and the nose also looks correct. I think that’s good enough to run with.

FB751-BCA-185-B-44-F0-A48-D-3201742-A35-A small start and probably the last thing that will go on the build. The nose decal.

Next I need to scale the plans the wingspan works out at just under 11 inches, so it is fairly large for it’s time.

I’ll probably start cutting out blanks later today. I’ll probably moms the nose and upper decking so some wood work required.

• Like 1

70-DB15-B4-C52-A-4-C1-E-B5-DB-FF4102-A37Doing things a bit differently here.  Rather than scale the plan and then duels off it.  I’ve laid out blanks for the main component by overlaying them on the plan then scaling  them to known dimensions. I’ll print them out attack them to some plastic sheet with double sided sticky and cut them out.

• Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to The Big Fella - Martinsyde type A II.

214757-FF-3331-4-DE6-A533-747-C97-EB82-FPlastic has been cut. Woodwork and a rummage through the spares box next, I’m pretty sure I have at least a radiator and possibly a nose from the Brisfit kit, that I can use s as me I need some wheels, seats and a prop.

Having been asked the question of how I cut out the parts. First off I attach the artwork to plastic sheet with double sided tape. Then in this case I used a large scissors to cut along the outlines for the fuselage parts. For the wings I used my Lidl paper cutter to cut a strip the right size then trimmed the ends using the big scissors. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

7-A251-DE4-1-B56-4-DAB-9516-5709822994-FThe wings have been bent but not skinned yet or diehedral set. But I thought I’d dry fit all the sub components. Kind of surprising how far along he build is by virtue of just chipping along. Next step will be to skin the wings and  tail surfaces, I’m waiting on brass rod in the post before I tackle the wings as I want to put a brass spar through both to keep them straight  and to help with setting the dihedral.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

06-E6-DEA0-C96-A-4417-A7-DF-B8-B81-F025-

So what’s this I hear you ask. It’s a new wing bending/clamping jig wide enough to take the upper wing.

My brass rod also arrived in the post yesterday, so should get the two sets of wings rolled and skinned tomorrow.

More to follow.

• 5 weeks later...