Chromed look bust with black detailing

Drew65

So a friend asked me to paint a bust of spiderman but in chrome. he has seen a lot of stuff on Etsy and asked if I would do it. I said yes then didnt realise what i was into as i am doing other bust figures but in realistic paints.

I am planning to use Alclad chromium paint.

Using this though will just make it all chrome look, and for detailing the lines in the mask etc i wanted to black them to make them pop . i would normally do a black one shot and then dry brush the chrome look on but Alclad is an airbrush paint so I am not sure of the paint sequence. 

he doesnt want the chrome "look" that is just silvery paint, he wants a realistic chrome effect but detail lines to show.

Anyone have any ideas?

You should first make sure you and your friend are on the same page,   You could use actual chrome paint as planned, but if your friend thinks you are capable, he might be expecting the chrome look achieved without the use of metallic paint.

• Thanks 1

Alclad paint is definitely an airbrush paint.  it's really thin, and wouldn't take well to being brushed on.  I've used Stuart Semple's Mirror before now, primarily with an airbrush because that's how I like to paint, but it's also brush paintable, and will probably give you the best chrome effect you'll manage without using a spray of one type or another.  I've dropped a link below, but warn you that it's an expensive paint.  Personally, I think it's worth the money and use it a lot for detailing and other chrome things on my models.  You may blanche at the price however, so fair warning ;)

https://culturehustle.com/products/mirror

One other thing, Alclad Chrome isn't all that robust, so a coat of Klear or similar over the finish is a good idea after it's fully cured.  AFAIK Mirror is OK to be left as is, but you must let it fully cure to get full strength.  I'd leave it a couple of days, as I've marred the finish before now from premature handling. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

a. I have just bought some 'nail art' tape. One of the colours I bought is black. The tape is about 0.8mm wide and extremely thin

Could you use this to make the black lines?

b Molotow does a chrome ink refill which can be sprayed

• Thanks 1

There is no paint that looks exactly like chrome.

I used Alclad, Molotov and Spaz Stix.

Spaz Stix is the most durable of those three to me. Clear coating dulls the effect no matter what you do or use imho.

You`ll need an airbrush and a perfect surface if you want to have a nice effect.

If the bust is made of resin you could get it probably chrome plated.

12 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

There is no paint that looks exactly like chrome.

I used Alclad, Molotov and Spaz Stix.

Spaz Stix is the most durable of those three to me. Clear coating dulls the effect no matter what you do or use imho.

You`ll need an airbrush and a perfect surface if you want to have a nice effect.

If the bust is made of resin you could get it probably chrome plated.

I'm actually going to try this stuff. My brother used it on a project and the results are pretty impressive

https://creativepaints.co.uk/collections/hydrochrome-and-hydrochrome-extreme-paint-kits