Aerobatic Colours

TonyR

Can anyone give me an accurate spec of the shade of the colour (Orange) used on India's new Hawk jets belonging to Surya Kiran please. The ordinary Humbrol Orange does not look right and I'm not sure if adding a touch of (Yellow/White or whatever) would make it more authentic....

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tony R.

No idea but I googled them....quite fetching colour scheme...wonder if the crimson crabs will go to a newer model of hawk eventually? 

Of course I reckon as some of you are aware we should bring back the Blue Herons but...that seems unlikely somehow...make a nice whif though 😀

It is interesting case since I heard those are painted in special fluorescent pigments from this company: https://www.dayglo.com/products/pigments/

Those colors cant be mixed using ordinary non fluorescent pigments. Humbrol has fluorescent fire orange in its set with No 209. It may not be exactly one what you looking for though. It is hard to match the color without precise measurement sample, and fluorescent colors are notorious to look "totally wrong" on photos.

Take a look at this Humbrol Acrylics colors sample (yes I have typos in couple of color names and I am *not* remaking this chart because of them, it took hours to prepare)

p?i=e015d4811089d539b9222392e52d4785

Fluorescent signal orange looks completely different on photo than in reality, it is MUCH brighter. Spectrophotometer measurements show that it reflects around 160% light in 640nm range (orange) - means it exhibits strong fluorescence at this wavelength.

Consumer market photo cameras do not deal well with this and usually clamp the most dominant color value around or close to 255. This color for example looks either way too red or way too orange and always way too dark on photos than in appears in reality.

Have you ever seen this plane color in real life or just photos? I only seen videos and the changes of the color in different light conditions and comparison to other fluorescent colors is all I have.

For example: this moment in video (1:58) shows airplane AND a crew member with fluorescent chartreuse safety vest on the airplane color suggest it is a fluorescent orange.

Edited by Casey

10 hours ago, TonyR said:

Can anyone give me an accurate spec of the shade of the colour (Orange) used on India's new Hawk jets belonging to Surya Kiran please.

Member to ask would be    @Linescriber  I'm trying to remember other members who might also know.  There is an Indian Scale Modellers group on Facebook, which is friendly and helpful.   I've asked there as that's a good starting point. (and linked this thread)  and will report back if an answer is given.

This is a link, https://www.facebook.com/groups/indianscalemodellers/permalink/6121063827920668/?comment_id=6121194704574247&notif_id=1662073258235924&notif_t=group_comment&ref=notif  but it's a private group.   Day Glo red seems a good possibility, 

@TonyR, you could try asking the Indian Air Force what the paint is as well.

HTH  

This may help, from Indian Scale Modellers 

"it’s red for sure. Since my reply earlier, I have had this confirmed by Zone5av who is a noted aviation photographer and seen them in person. The paint used is made locally in B’lore itself."

301010735_5887370424654942_3722060546134

HTH

• Thanks 1

Thats interesting! It would also mean someone should correct wikipedia article :) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya_Kiran

I seem to be extra fooled by the similarity of the color to the tricolor on the same airplanes, which is supposed to contain Saffron, and the color coordinates of it are quite well specified.

Edited by Casey

this got posted on Facebook by Mick Burton, who IIRC, does Bright Spark decals 

305032090_5266348466797314_1190227846022

This will go when facebook change the URL , 

@TonyR 

@Casey may have comments on the matches but digging out a FS95B and RAL K-7 classic, 

FS12197 is a deep orange red, and it's not very close to RAL 3020

I'd have thought that FS 12199 would be more likely? 

HTH

48 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

FS12197 is a deep orange red, and it's not very close to RAL 3020

This photo is an awesome resource! I stored it for my future builds :D Thank you!

I understood it that the color of the aircraft should be FS12197.

RAL3020 is very far off from FS12197 - the difference is 7.46DE from my samples. Closest to FS12197 is RAL 2002 (3.17 DE). But also the match may be done the other way around... I could use some explanation there.

I think I can do a quite good match of FS12197 (or the mentioned RAL's colors too), if there is any interest, since I have original FS and RAL samples.

Did this earlier thread help at all?

I note that, in the profile shown in the earlier post from @Troy Smith, the colour is described as 'FS 12197 International Orange'.

Interestingly, Indian colour standard IS 5 "Colours for ready mixed paints and enamels, sixth revision" (published in 2007) also contains a shade called International Orange - this being No. 592 (and which is undoubtedly derived from the colour of the same number and name found in several iterations of BS 381).

FYI, a link to IS 5 is: https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.5.2007.

Something to ponder, perhaps...

Otherwise, the good people at DEKL's may also have some insights:

(from: https://dekls.square.site/product/Decals-BAe_HAwk_Mk132_Suryakiran_Team-Scale-1%2F72/119?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=true&q=false&category_id=21)

s965736854826306472_p119_i2_w2115.jpeg?w

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Blimpyboy said:

This document looks quite similar in content to BS 381C I have in my hand. The color coordinates do not match perfectly but are not far off from 381C -I would need to verify them more to be 100% sure.

There are extra colors of course, like Saffron. Great document, thank you!

• Like 1

I wonder if the Surya Kiran Hawks use the same red/orange/whatever as the Dhruvs of the IAF's 'Sarang' display team...

(probably not, 'though - the helicopters do seem to be more red than a red-orange).

218226093_286812399888143_16941540418447

But, if so, a tantalising link to the colours could be in here:

165178619_213578107211573_45935081043517

Now, all you have to do is track down Mr Ganesh and his team in Bangalore!

Edited by Blimpyboy