Meteor F8 wing trim tab change?

Mattlow

Hello all

I've had a search around the 'net and on tis forum but cannot find anything about this (plenty of other interesting stuff along the way though).

Is there a clear date, or batch of aircraft when the trim tabs on the ailerons changed from the single, protruding beyond trailing edge type - as seen on the F4, to two tabs in line with the trailing edge? Most of the walk arounds I have seen appear to have the two tab version. It doesn't look as though it is related to whether the aircraft had the larger bore intakes either.

Anyone have any info or point me to a thread where this is discussed?

TIA

Matt

On 01/09/2022 at 12:05, Mattlow said:

Hello all

I've had a search around the 'net and on tis forum but cannot find anything about this (plenty of other interesting stuff along the way though).

Is there a clear date, or batch of aircraft when the trim tabs on the ailerons changed from the single, protruding beyond trailing edge type - as seen on the F4, to two tabs in line with the trailing edge? Most of the walk arounds I have seen appear to have the two tab version. It doesn't look as though it is related to whether the aircraft had the larger bore intakes either.

Anyone have any info or point me to a thread where this is discussed?

TIA

Matt

Meteor aircraft embodying Modification 1092 (concave ailerons), were fitted with spring tabs in addition to the geared tabs.  

Due to the lateral control problems suffered by both Gloster and Armstrong Whitworth, the latter introduced an aileron trailing edge droop of .68 inches with the aileron set at rigging neutral, subsequently adopted by Gloster's as well, and this, together with the tab modification, solved the aircraft's lateral control problems.

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 1:56 PM, Julien said:

There is information about this in the Meteor decal sheets from Marmaduke Press, I dont have mine to hand ATM.

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor can you comment?

Julien

Hi Julian,

Mod 1092 - the sprung double flush aileron was introduced because the Meteor was found to not be a very stable platform for firing RPs from. Meteors were cleared for use with RPs in December 1952, so I guess the mod was introduced around then, but I've never been able to find an actual 'date'. It certainly seems as though it was intended to retrofit the entire fleet with them, but I never managed to ascertain how fast that happened.

The problem I encountered is that its often difficult in old photos to see which aileron is fitted( from the angle the pic is taken), but as a rule of thumb, using the December 1952 date one could conclude safely that pre-then they were all 'single tabbers'

As Matt rightly assumes in his OP, there's no link to intake diameter or canopy type- and with the latter- the clear vision canopy  (Mod 1516) was only introduced in mid-1953- so one could assume that meteors with a clear vision canopy might all have been retrofitted with the new ailerons too, but that doesn't seem to be the case either!

Sorry to be of limited use

Jonners

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis. Jon and Julien

At least I wasn't missing something obvious. I should have asked this question before sanding the single tab off the wings of my F8...  I suppose the upside is that if it is difficult to tell if the mod has been carried out, I'm sorta safe either way, as long as it isn't an early aircraft....

Cheers guys.

Matt

7 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Thanks Dennis. Jon and Julien

At least I wasn't missing something obvious. I should have asked this question before sanding the single tab off the wings of my F8...  I suppose the upside is that if it is difficult to tell if the mod has been carried out, I'm sorta safe either way, as long as it isn't an early aircraft....

Cheers guys.

Matt

This may help (a crop from the T.7 Pilots Notes):-

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi Julian,

Mod 1092 - the sprung double flush aileron was introduced because the Meteor was found to not be a very stable platform for firing RPs from. Meteors were cleared for use with RPs in December 1952, so I guess the mod was introduced around then, but I've never been able to find an actual 'date'. It certainly seems as though it was intended to retrofit the entire fleet with them, but I never managed to ascertain how fast that happened.

The problem I encountered is that its often difficult in old photos to see which aileron is fitted( from the angle the pic is taken), but as a rule of thumb, using the December 1952 date one could conclude safely that pre-then they were all 'single tabbers'

As Matt rightly assumes in his OP, there's no link to intake diameter or canopy type- and with the latter- the clear vision canopy  (Mod 1516) was only introduced in mid-1953- so one could assume that meteors with a clear vision canopy might all have been retrofitted with the new ailerons too, but that doesn't seem to be the case either!

Jonners

Hi Jonners

Just wondering. Are Marmaduke Press Decals still available? I was after one of the Meteor sheets. 

Thanks

James 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:20 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi Julian,

Jonners

I’m intending to model WH365 when in service with 611 Squadron RAuxAF, so pre-1957.  The images I’ve found of her show a glass say Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey, High Speed Silver finish with an HSS-framed clear-view canopy, post -Mod 1092 ailerons but small-bore intakes so other mix n match options must be out there.