which black to use on a Taranto Swordfish?

Richard502

Model is Tamiya, decals for "4A" Aeromaster. Paint tins (enamels only) that might be appropriate in stash are: Xtracolor "Tire Black" and "Gloss Sea Blue"; Color Coats US04 "Early 1942 5D Dark Gray", Humbrol HU21 "Gloss Black", Mr. color 137 "Tire Black".

Which one of these do you think is closest, or do I have to buy a new tin of paint?

22 hours ago, iang said:

I would go with "Tire Black" and then some weathering. 4A at Taranto looks to have had a fresh coat of black distemper, so still quite black.

The correct colour is called "Night" the same as used on the bottom of Lancaster's. It is actually an incredibly dark blue.

Selwyn

On 9/1/2022 at 1:56 AM, Richard502 said:

Model is Tamiya, decals for "4A" Aeromaster. Paint tins (enamels only) that might be appropriate in stash are: Xtracolor "Tire Black" and "Gloss Sea Blue"; Color Coats US04 "Early 1942 5D Dark Gray", Humbrol HU21 "Gloss Black", Mr. color 137 "Tire Black".

Which one of these do you think is closest, or do I have to buy a new tin of paint?

Note that ColourCoats US04 5D Dark Gray is a naval color used for painting Navy ships.  I will eventually use it for an early Elco 80' PT boat, PT-107, in the original finish scheme of 5D for the deck and superstructure and Standard Gray, a much lighter color, for the hull above the waterline.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1