F-20N U.S.N. Century of Naval Aviation 2011

Hello everyone … Im going to build my 2nd F-20 as an USN F-20N. The USN purchased the F-20E’s to replace the older F-5’s and A-4’s. They were upgraded upon purchase to “N” status as aggressors. This will be painted in an early scheme. Somewhere between the Golden-wings era and The gull grey/white scheme era. Though Im leaning towards the Goldenwings era. Here are the sprue shots. jpPo7tB.jpg

wifogab.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Good morning everyone … Well pulled one of my late nights and was able to get a good bit done on two builds. This one and my F-84F over in the classic Revellogram build. The fuselage is built up on this and there very little in the way of gaps. Much like with my first one which means this one will be in paint pretty soon. L9fdly4.jpg

xIJtsPa.jpg

uBy4ItC.jpg

uTjYNgC.jpg

Even though the aggressors have no weapons mounted they leave the ports open for ventilation on the internal equipment. Thats also the practice with real world F-5N’s. 5UfXo38.jpg

WH0SzYb.jpg

oRKD22k.jpg

ciaYYjM.jpg

MHm80Y0.jpg

Did some checking and thinking we’re good for Golden-wings markings. Will most likely look like these markings of VF-41 Red Rippers in 1941. 

https://www.super-hobby.pt/products/F4F-3-Wildcat-early.html

http://www.airgroup4.com/fighting.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF-11

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everybody … Pulled a late night and finished all of the painting minus antennas and burner can. 78Bdlb6.jpg

cVU8Hps.jpg

iH0AoUF.jpg

PBjCvyM.jpg

I did photograph the belly but it didn't save. Its 95% aluminum with the slats in yellow, white stripe around the fuselage. There is also a white diagonal stripe on each wing mirroring the upper stripes. I painted the Radome grey instead of Black as I thought it would be to stark against the white. Plus I have found some real life F-5N’s with grey radomes so there is a legitimate comparison. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good Dennis, with those inter-war colours.
Think you made the right call, painting the radome grey, rather than black, or extending the white.

p.s. Wondering how you'll handle the stars on the wings?

Thank you.. The grey does two things. It actually is used for radomes, and it looks like engine grey that you’d see on the radial of the Wildcat. I have pre war neutrality stars that will be used just like the original wore. 

• Thanks 1

Good Afternoon everyone … Well I was up until after 12:00 pm U.K. time working on stuff. The decals are now on on four of my builds.  jWBVoou.jpg

QBqumJS.jpg

xUEDPAU.jpg

46GcTT1.jpg

I realize the roundels are a bit oversized but thats a result of me giving away the originals I had planned on using. The black striping on the white is about 2 dozen individual pieces link together to get full stripes. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...