Grumman Avenger AS.4 - 815 Sqn HMS EAGLE

Grumman TBM-3E Avenger AS.4 - 815 Naval Air Squadron, HMS EAGLE, Mediterranean, 1954

Yes, it's the old Airfix kit,  first released in 1966.  This one was a cheapy £3.50 "dirty box of bits" buy from a model show, attracted mainly by the tatty RN decals for an Avenger III of 703 Sqn at RNAS Ford in the early 1950s.  The kit is passable for this, except for the square cockpit windows and the lack of a centre cockpit position for the Observer.  The decals will reappear in due course on another kit, but for this one I couldn't find any replacement bulged round windows, so I went instead for a rocket-armed anti-submarine aircraft of 815 Sqn from the Xtradecal 815 Sqn set.  

wpc30161fc_05_06.jpg

I reduced the size of the kit's rivets (slightly, the real thing has plenty), blanked off the rear lower gun position and added the radar pod on the starboard wing. 

wp46bc0514_05_06.jpg

I held back on the weathering, as the AS.4s were kept very clean, with even those seen on the scrap heap still looking smart.  I overdid the grey highlighting lines though - a lesson to carry forward to when I use this kits decals elsewhere.

wp0f254c56_05_06.jpg

This was a fast fun build, without any particular expectations for the completed model, but I am pleased with the way it has turned out.  The kit may be an oldie, but it is still worth a pop !

wp2c8b8f0b_05_06.jpg

wp41eb03d8_05_06.jpg

.... and with the rest of the Avenger fleet (FROG and Academy):

wp5b6921bb_05_06.jpg

• Like 28

Awesome job on the old Airfix kit - the other two are excellent as well!

I have always been a Grumman Avenger fan - a real beast of a plane, yet (to my tastes) great to look at.

Well  done on all three!

You should try to round off by building the Hasegawa kit.

👍👍

That/those look fantastic. I've yet to make up an Avenger though have several in stock, including all of these. I've heard since long ago the Airfix kit has some dimensional issues (wingspan?) but certainly nothing that jumps out from your photos, they're all great lookers. 👍

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That/those look fantastic. I've yet to make up an Avenger though have several in stock, including all of these. I've heard since long ago the Airfix kit has some dimensional issues (wingspan?) but certainly nothing that jumps out from your photos, they're all great lookers. 👍

Steve.

To be honest, apart from the updated engine cowling with the extra intake and cooling gills, its got little to recommend it.  It also has the wrong type of tail hook (it should be a simple external lowering one rather than a stinger.  Hasegawa and Academy are much, much better (and Academy is even affordable for the ordinary person) .  The FROG one has raised detail and excessive wing dihedral that is difficult to correct, but is otherwise identical to Academy (to the point of part interchangeability).

• Thanks 1