Mikhail Gorbachev dies at 91

bentwaters81tfw

Sad news. I remember nipping out of work to see him during a visit to London. We all gathered outside Downing Street to see him sweep in. As someone also mentioned on the TV this morning, his security blokes were truly terrifying - 7 foot giants wearing leather trenchcoats.      

• Like 4

Not too liked in Russia Though especially in his home town. Ya man Bald and Bankrupt on youtube visited and talked to a few locals who were less than complementary

If you have not come across the lad see link below. Some Great items

https://www.youtube.com/c/baldandbankrupt/search?query=Gorbachev

Edited by George Norman

Not surprising, since Russian TV has spent the last twenty years painting him as the man who lost the USSR and "Russia's Empire". Probably hear a different perspective on him and that empire if you asked people in Poland, (former) East Germany, Latvia or Hungary, for example...

best,

M.

• Like 6

I almost universally hate politicians, but him I could tolerate.  He had a friendly face, and did a bit of good in the world.  Sad to see him go, but 91 isn't a bad age.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I wasn't going to post on here because of the politics,one thing i will say is i'd feel a lot safer it Mikhail Gorbachev Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher were still in charge of their countries...

I never thought I would find myself saying it, but so would I.

• Like 2

Can we steer away from politics please?  I know he was a politician, but we can say goodbye without straying into the good or the bad of what came next, as tempting as that might be.

• Like 3

A sad day, as Mr Gorbachev was a "revolutionary" in seeing that his country needed change. Sadly a lot of people only knew one way of life and "change" was to be feared.

The period of glasnost enabled me to travel around the Soviet Union (as it still was at that time) and see what life was like prior to the fall of the Berlin wall (actually sleeping about 10 metres away from it for a few nights).

The average Russian citizen was just wanting to get on with their lives, raise their children and do the things everyone does in life.

May Mr Gorbachev rest peacefully.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hairystick said:

Darn it. He's now been kicked out!

A sad day for adventuring in the former soviet republic.

Yep saw that last night. SAD end TBH and as he said he was Painting the Russian people much different to the MSM.

Loved watching him roam around the place and seeing place TBH I will never see. Some places were lovely, some were down right kips. That An-2 flight though!!

• Like 1