A-26A (B-26K) Counter Invader `The Batplane`, 609th SOS, Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, 1969

17 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Outstanding Russ and great pics as well, you keep on getting better and better(must be the age)! Cheers.

Thanks Jean, 

At least you`ve suggested one good thing about getting older, sigh!

Cheers Russ

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Well done Russ !!

I started that same kit, if mine finish half as good as your, I'll be happy !!

Congratulations !!

:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC

Look forward to seeing it

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

Russ--do you  know that brother Alex in the Czech Republic has a replacement eight gun nose?  It's resin but not so heavy that it will bend the nose gear. If you want I can give you his contact info. Nice chap.  From all appearances (and I have not used it yet) it appears to solve all the nose issues with a simple resin solution.  Your next B-26B project (Korean War? French Indochina?  Indonesian Pedestra revolt?) might go quicker with less fuss. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Russ--do you  know that brother Alex in the Czech Republic has a replacement eight gun nose?  It's resin but not so heavy that it will bend the nose gear. If you want I can give you his contact info. Nice chap.  From all appearances (and I have not used it yet) it appears to solve all the nose issues with a simple resin solution.  Your next B-26B project (Korean War? French Indochina?  Indonesian Pedestra revolt?) might go quicker with less fuss. 

Hi DJ, Yes I did, I`ve nothing against after-market, I`ve used stuff now and again ( Hobby Boss F-105 cockpit, Airfix B-57 cockpit, odd engines and wheels, bombs etc ) but the nose is such an easy fix to my eye I don`t think I`d be interested. Thanks very much for the thought though 🙂 Also 40grams is 40grams whatever the material.

Might do a Grey `Farmgate` and French Indochina one day. 

Thanks again, Russ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redcap said:

Fantastic model and the camo work is especially impressive. How was the build of the model itself please?

Gary

Thanks Gary,

The kit`s not too bad some parts are an amazing fit, ie wing to fuselage. There`s a few inserts ( as to be expected on moulds designed to cater for various versions ) and these need a bit of care and/or filler. The plastics quite soft so some reinforcement may be needed on the undercarriage ( see post for what I did )

The only things I didn`t like was the undercarriage leg attachments and the axles for the wheels are shorter than I`d like.

Can`t be that hard though, I managed it!🙂

Hope this helps, cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Hi DJ, Yes I did, I`ve nothing against after-market, I`ve used stuff now and again ( Hobby Boss F-105 cockpit, Airfix B-57 cockpit, odd engines and wheels, bombs etc ) but the nose is such an easy fix to my eye I don`t think I`d be interested. Thanks very much for the thought though 🙂 Also 40grams is 40grams whatever the material.

Might do a Grey `Farmgate` and French Indochina one day. 

Thanks again, Russ

Not to be flippant but you could do an all-black B-26B from CIA ops in Thailand or Taiwan and save money on decals. The black bats carried no insignia or markings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Not to be flippant but you could do an all-black B-26B from CIA ops in Thailand or Taiwan and save money on decals. The black bats carried no insignia or markings. 

Yeah, I`ve come close to doing a `Millpond` bird quite a few times, black 6 gun with HVAR`s on the wings. Not for a while though I`m Invadered out at the moment 🙂 

6 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Wait.  What?  This is all brush painted?  No airbrush or rattle can?  You’re a sorcerer!

Thanks Ad, 

Yeah all done with various hairy sticks, I`m no sorcerer though, just had to meet a man at a crossroads one night 🙂

Glad you like it.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

Do you have pictures of the 3mm nose extension you made?  The sides of the nose have that round projection-thingy (I’m sure that is the technical term for it) and I wondered how your extension works around that?  Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Do you have pictures of the 3mm nose extension you made?  The sides of the nose have that round projection-thingy (I’m sure that is the technical term for it) and I wondered how your extension works around that?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Ad,

Sorry I didn`t, there`s nothing too technical going on:

On my first attempt ( the Farmgate one ) I`d already fitted the nose before deciding it wasn`t right, so I just chopped the nose off at the joint and made new ones.

On this one, I glued some plastic sheet on the inside of the nose where the cut outs are, then when the nose and shim were fitted and dry I just used a bit of filler to smooth it all out.  

Cheers Russ

• Like 2

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Hi Ad,

Sorry I didn`t, there`s nothing too technical going on:

On my first attempt ( the Farmgate one ) I`d already fitted the nose before deciding it wasn`t right, so I just chopped the nose off at the joint and made new ones.

On this one, I glued some plastic sheet on the inside of the nose where the cut outs are, then when the nose and shim were fitted and dry I just used a bit of filler to smooth it all out.  

Cheers Russ

Great explanation.  I got it now.  Easier than what I had in mind.  Thanks.