A-26A (B-26K) Counter Invader `The Batplane`, 609th SOS, Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, 1969

• russ c changed the title to A-26A (B-26K) Counter Invader `The Batplane`, 609th SOS, Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, 1969

Beautiful work Russ. May I ask what you did to the nose?  Can the landing gear support the model?  Some reports of the soft plastic gear legs swaying outwards a bit. Thanks again Russ.

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic job Russ. The worn/faded paint work is so realistic! What's your method for achieving that look? I'm waiting in hope that a new mould in 1/72 comes out as there are some interesting other air forces schemes that I fancy doing.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice, I plan on the same Batplane. I didn’t realize the fuselage markings were blacked out.

Thanks Scooby, 

I couldn`t say for sure that the markings were like that on the Batplane ( the only photo I`ve seen is in the book described in my post and it only shows the nose), but I`ve seen a few photo`s where the original markings have been overpainted like that on some Invaders and I like the effect. 

Glad you like it and good luck with yours

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Beautiful work Russ. May I ask what you did to the nose?  Can the landing gear support the model?  Some reports of the soft plastic gear legs swaying outwards a bit. Thanks again Russ.

Thanks 28`, 

As my previous build I just added a 3mm (ish) shim between the nose and fuselage, I didn`t mess with the canopy position this time as I chickened out having got away with it once 🙂

I made the brake pipes out of stiff wire and attached with Gorilla Glue Gel to stiffen the legs up and the nose leg has a strip of thick foil glued to the inside using same glue as the mains.

Cheers Russ

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Absolutely superb! 

What paints did you use may I ask? 

Martin 

Thanks Martin,

I used Humbrol Enamels: 91 Black Green, 30 Dark Green and 118 Tan, these were weathered over by dry brushing with 155 Olive Drab, 117 US Green and 110 respectively

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Fantastic job Russ. The worn/faded paint work is so realistic! What's your method for achieving that look? I'm waiting in hope that a new mould in 1/72 comes out as there are some interesting other air forces schemes that I fancy doing.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

My method was: after painting with Humbrols: 91, 30 and 118, I drew the panel lines in with a pencil, glossed, decaled and matt coated. Next step was to dry brush Olive Drab 66 over the pencilled in panel lines to soften them up and add depth to the control surfaces hinges ( I smudge them with my thump as I go along )

Next I dry brushed patches of Olive Drab 155, US Green 117 and Light Brown 110 over the original colours also smudging them around with my thumb, Lightly dry brushed a few scuffs with Silver 11 on leading edges, walkways and raised detail etc. Then a bit more Olive Drab 155 in areas of high maintenance and oil ie: nacelles, wing roots, botton of the cowlings, around the undercarriage bays and so on. Then a couple more Matt coats to bring it all together.  I only brush with Enamels though, never tried it with Acrylics. The Matt coat is Windsor and Newtons Galleria Acrylic as I can`t brush Humbrols Matt Varnish since they reformulated it several years ago. 

Cheers Russ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1