1/18 A6M5 Zero

Hello everyone!  Long time no see!  I have been spending the last 1.3 years on this yuuuuge project from Agora Model's, Museum Scale A6M5 Zero.  A fully operational 1/18 Zero!  The kit is composed of metal, HDP, rubber, and other things I can't identify😀.  This kit was comprised of 12 Packs that came each month.  This was without a doubt one of the most fun--and incredibly challenging builds--I have ever tackled.  You have to build everything!  And I mean ev-re-thing!  Gluing and using screws.  The only parts that came preassembled were the circuit boards.  The build begins with the jewel of the kit, the beautiful Sakae Engine, which took two months to assemble.  Next was the gorgeous cockpit that I dry brushed to make things pop a bit.  This plane weighs a ton!  But your not finished with just the plane, you must build the base, lifters, everything!  As I said, this is the most comprehensive kit I have ever built.  Their were some issues too be sure, but the Agora forum was very helpful as was Agora.  So if you can afford the time and the $, get this kit.  It will challenge you.  But the result is absolutely worth it.  Now, its interesting that Agora chose the subject Zero for this kit, as it was found on Saipan, blown to pieces.  I researched a little history of this plane.

This particular Zero, 8-13 was found on Saipan with other intact Japanese A6M5 aircraft.  The picture below, was taken August 8, 1944, on the island of Saipan.  The aircraft belonged to the 261st Kokutai (Air Group), 8th Hikotai, Aircraft 13.  The kanji on top of the tail translates to "Bi."  This is believed to be an abbreviation of the pilot's name. The cap (chevron above the kanji) meant he was a more senior pilot.  Other planes of the unit had similar kanji that would say "victory," etc.  If someone has another interpretation, please chime in, but this is according to the Smithsonian Museum.  The 261st was flown from mainland Japan, to Iwo Jima, then on to Saipan, to be used for air defense of the island.  It's interesting to note, that despite the plane being a total wreck, the intelligence guys seemed interested in this particular bird, it has even been tagged by the antenna mast.  Many Zeros were removed from Saipan, and shipped aboard the USS Copahee, to be taken back to the States for study.  Charles Lindberg even test flew one.

thumbnail_A6M5 261 Kokutai 8-13 Saipan 2Aug44 (2)

ON TO THE PICTURES:

thumbnail_IMG_7150

thumbnail_IMG_7145

thumbnail_IMG_7146

thumbnail_IMG_7129

thumbnail_IMG_7135

thumbnail_IMG_7131 (2) thumbnail_IMG_7132

thumbnail_IMG_7136

VIDEOS BELOW

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

• CMSCHLOM changed the title to 1/18 A6M5 Zero
1 hour ago, 3DStewart said:

I love models with working features and this is the daddy of them all!  Do the bombs drop as well?

Unfortunately, the plane does everything except fly and drop bombs.  But it does tend to bank toward my ship models!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Astonishing! very well done indeed. I dread to think how much this model cost?

About $1,600 or $139.98 per month for 12 months.  Is it worth it?  Yes, it took over a year to build, and it was a great deal of fun.  As soon as you finish one portion, another comes in time.  You can modify the colors as some have, weathering wise, some built the base into a small diorama.  And it will be the center of attention of your collection.  The Sakae Engine is beautifully rendered, and the cowls are magnetic so you can run the plane with the engine exposed.  For a years worth of enjoyment, its worth it.  And as I mentioned, you have to build everything.  Well over a thousand parts, but not all at once!  If you are in the UK, it might be a bit cheaper.  Two Englishman, John and Wayne, do complete builds on YouTube.  Watch their videos.  And decide if you want to take the plunge.

1 hour ago, CMSCHLOM said:

About $1,600 or $139.98 per month for 12 months.  Is it worth it?  Yes, it took over a year to build, and it was a great deal of fun.  As soon as you finish one portion, another comes in time.  You can modify the colors as some have, weathering wise, some built the base into a small diorama.  And it will be the center of attention of your collection.  The Sakae Engine is beautifully rendered, and the cowls are magnetic so you can run the plane with the engine exposed.  For a years worth of enjoyment, its worth it.  And as I mentioned, you have to build everything.  Well over a thousand parts, but not all at once!  If you are in the UK, it might be a bit cheaper.  Two Englishman, John and Wayne, do complete builds on YouTube.  Watch their videos.  And decide if you want to take the plunge.

That's quite a few 1. Drinks at the pub 2. Wife's - Handbags/Shoes/ Dresses. I think you're right about " for a years worth of enjoyment "it's good value for money. it's about £1400 . Trouble is i'd not have anywhere to display it .. but you've done an impressive job indeed. Glad you enjoyed making it . Fun and enjoyment is what this hobby should be about indeed!

Thanks

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1