USS England DE-635 1/350 Trumpeter (plus a little bit of brass.)

After my success(?) with the LCI and a very short break from all things plastic, I thought I'd give this little ship a go. Seems only fair as its been in the stash for a while.

So without further ado.................

p?i=21817c67c60da30a70fe7b4609478593

These are the parts in the box, nit that many really.

p?i=8c6b1ad66db7773fa86351e44cc247f9

p?i=a7c02a57834b7040cab508bd31242a8f

p?i=5489cd7ed59e479d7abf01524114ee42

p?i=463f1b7de563897579c43d8cbde27f1c

So there we have it a nice simple build, or so you are lead to believe.

But, I was wondering around, a bit lost in cyberspace (as you do) when I happened across this.

p?i=a5730f117ecb59fae8856eebaf5be0a3

And, well, one thing lead to another and after a bit of a tussle,I finally overcame MR Credit Card and bought this upgrade set.

Which just about replaces everything.

p?i=f4813195c4cb0f77ac1814178d7da9b6

p?i=e324c2e4e407c9445269bbe0ca455b9c

p?i=aa6a24ee19b602471e7477fbdb2c873e

p?i=a5bcc5f23b4324c757c4bf72a9df96f1

As I progress, I'll post some piccy's of the PE instructions. They are, how shall I say this ? 

Intriguing ?

And of course not forgetting.............

p?i=2b1e692fe608796995ac95b2d13cf0ce

This has got to be the simplest colour scheme I've ever done.

I've yet to decide whether to do her as a waterline or full hull, I'm leaning toward waterline as I've not done a seascape for a while.

So, off I go, for a while at least. As I'm off to La Belle France in a few days to restock the wine rack, amongst other things.

The first task is going to be sitting down with both sets of instructions, to see which plastic parts are replaced by the PE upgrade set.

Jon

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Is that hull arrangement to make it optional to waterline her?

Yup.

From the top.

The top piece is the hull below the waterline.

Then the deck.

Next the hull.

Last, what is described as the ‘waterline plate’, which I think will be painted black to become the ‘boot topping’.

I’m fairly sure I’ll be doing waterline, but will need to get some figures, can’t have her at sea without a crew. 
Now there’s a thought for your next wooden build, the Mary Celeste mounted on a sea scape. 
Jon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

You do love your intriguing instructions, don't you?

Actually, the PE instructions are quite good with clear expand drawings.

Assembling the many small parts will be the challenge, far too small for solder.

Jon

7 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’m fairly sure I’ll be doing waterline, but will need to get some figures, can’t have her at sea without a crew. 
Now there’s a thought for your next wooden build, the Mary Celeste mounted on a sea scape. 

I've been toying with the idea of making a stormy sea for Beagle and having her heeling over, shipping green water over the rail. It would be huge though and way out of my area of semi-competence. Have you ever seen a sailing ship modelled in a blow like that?

5 minutes ago, Faraway said:

far too small for solder

Arc welding?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've been toying with the idea of making a stormy sea for Beagle and having her heeling over, shipping green water over the rail. It would be huge though and way out of my area of semi-competence. Have you ever seen a sailing ship modelled in a blow like that?

No, but someone must have done it, somewhere.

Jon

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Jon - You're a machine.  Good choice though and i haven't seen many of these built

Watching with interest and i know what you mean about an easy scheme...

Rob

I think that is the advantage of being retired 😜

Jon

3 hours ago, steve5 said:

looking forward to this , rob's right , your a machine , how many models would you do a year ?

I haven’t counted 😉

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, I did this ship a couple of years ago, but in 1/700 and OOB. Yours no doubt will be superb. Regards, Jeff.

We shall see 🙄

Jon

The waterline plate is fitted to the hull, boot topping black painted and masked ready for the Hull colour.

p?i=f7686d163367d171c5bcd9ce19ca6e37

I've also, as you can see, removed the moulded Fairleads and replaced them with PED ones as these, rightly or wrongly, will be the same colour as the hull.

Now.

I have a question, what are these ?

This is them moulded to the aft end of the superstructure.

p?i=22e69fd99f90839b64d734164e8d42d5

And this is the PE replacements.

p?i=072c2c5557f6430b7419ac3ee5ee964f

p?i=c6a58e8290de92bef933ba6d648da422By the look of this picture, I've got to form a slight dish shape on the cap part and add a piece of brass wire to the frame below.

Shouldn’t be  TOO difficult, but knowing what they are, might make the making of them easier.

Jon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

I have a question, what are these ?

Gidday Jon, considering their shape and location I think they could be the cradles for the depth charges. The tube goes into the barrel of the launcher/K-gun and the DC itself gets strapped to the top plate before firing. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arnold is correct. They are the Arbors for the depth charge K guns. Stowed all over the rear superstructure wherever space could be found, with some also stowed under the reload racks. The USN never adopted the the later RN style of depth charge thrower with fixed arbors, so they follow the depth charge into the drink.

cheers

Steve

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, considering their shape and location I think they could be the cradles for the depth charges. The tube goes into the barrel of the launcher/K-gun and the DC itself gets strapped to the top plate before firing. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

6 minutes ago, Stephen Allen said:

Arnold is correct. They are the Arbors for the depth charge K guns. Stowed all over the rear superstructure wherever space could be found, with some also stowed under the reload racks. The USN never adopted the the later RN style of depth charge thrower with fixed arbors, so they follow the depth charge into the drink.

cheers

Steve

Thanks chaps.

Do you know of any contemporary pictures of them, so I can understand how they work ?

Jon

6 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Thanks chaps.

Do you know of any contemporary pictures of them, so I can understand how they work ?

Jon

I think I’ve answered my own question, :hmmm:with a bit of googling.
The arbor was inserted into a barrel of the K gun, then the DC was pushed onto the top of it and secured to it. So when the K gun was fired, it launched the DC and the arbor fell away in flight. So for every DC, there had to be an arbor.

Now the little bits of PE sort of make sense.

Jon

• Like 4

Looking forward to this build. I have this kit plus the WEM brass and loads of Black Cat resin for mine. It will be ( I hope in time and with good luck as I have not built a ship in 40+ years ) HMS Rupert, my Grandads Captain Class Frigate. Unfortunately, a house move from North Bristol to Yatton has completely stalled all modelmaking activity for well over a month now, and we still haven't actually moved!

• Like 1

So far today, I've been bending, soldering, gluing, unsoldering and resoldering. But I got there in the end. 

Oh, and I've painted the hull.

p?i=297613064e668b1d06a3d329b275671f

I annealed the shield, a bit much on one end (bugger) and have soldered it in place.

Now I've got to fit the handrail, yeah right !

p?i=b0f237233be1dc500f0986011833f191

Well, it's on. Got a bit knocked about in the process, but it is VERY thin.

But a coat of paint and with the naked eye it look ok.

p?i=61dd961e8fb5d853f61ef1788406efae

p?i=56de3d4ca051dd760d75c4374bd299a6

'nother couple of gun buckets to bend and glue.

p?i=c940e5f79b28e6f824ad810b2ed29243

That's today done, more buckets to follow.

p?i=5a28ddb75d53522e323766d6d6acb07a

Now it's 'wine time'.

See you tomorrow.

Jon

P.S.

And welcome to the fray @neilh and there was me thinking I was the 'only modeller in the village' small world.

J

• Like 5

A good start on this Jon, looking forward to seeing the progress. I am glad it is only a 'little bit of brass', reminds me of my still-to-be-built Zvezda HMS Dreadnought and Pontos detail-up set. I have used quite a lot of etch in my time on ships, but never soldered the stuff.

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

will you replace main guns? Plastic part will look somewhat clumsy comparing all these soooper-doooper full-metall jewellery. Black Cat do these guns. 

Best regards,

Michal.

• Like 1