1/72 - BAC Mustard glider resin kit by Freightdog Models - released

Homebee

Freightdog Models is to release a 1/72nd resin kit from the reusable launch system concept that was explored by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) during the mid-1960s, aka the Multi-Unit Space Transport And Recovery Device or BAC MUSTARD.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/freightdogmodels/posts/pfbid0AZTziC7qFjk7Kmw5jWWSFN1ZajBBB2N1gQgQ4XGDsMBNCThqpWRWJ4yjThrnMoKul

Masters for my What-If BAC Mustard Low Speed Research Vehicle in 1/72, a small single seat glider proposed to test the full size Mustard re-usable space shuttles low speed flying and handling qualities. Hopefully cast in time for Scale Modelworld in November.

302673164-500049738794232-82496222454133

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - BAC Mustard glider resin kit by Freightdog Models - parts+scheme- release in November 2022

Source: https://www.facebook.com/freightdogmodels/posts/pfbid02upvyJrtcG79pw5XA9P5LWdyKgJ8RjGjsawzoDxf9EmHGuUFawMvpj44o2vfdiqXAl

Initial profile of the Mustard glider project, a 1/72 scale resin kit to be released at IPMS Scale Modelworld in November. This was a paper project, to test the low-speed flying and handling qualities of the British Space shuttle concept.

310633068-530346075764598-21025194798791
313380064-558870919578780-50145733911223

V.P.

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - BAC Mustard glider resin kit by Freightdog Models - parts+scheme - release in November 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - BAC Mustard glider resin kit by Freightdog Models - parts+scheme+test build - release in November 2022

Source: https://www.facebook.com/freightdogmodels/posts/pfbid0oZoz8PVe4g59moNiefiEqBhGxcrYmP8XpBLVGW7JiYh6SFXNUpBGhdEpbQdcJofdl

Going on sale at Scale Modelworld next weekend, this is a test build of my BAC Mustard Low Speed Research Vehicle, a paper project from the late 1960's. Beautifully cast by CMR, vacform canopies by Rob Taurus and Fantasy Printshop decals. Come and see our stand in Hall 2, opposite Hannants.

313408840-561759065956632-61285876816737

V.P.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - BAC Mustard glider resin kit by Freightdog Models - released

This was my only kit purchase at SMW, and was a bit of an impulse buy. It is really well cast. My only reservation is the undercarriage struts. That thin section resin looks weak to me and I would be tempted to replace at least the main strut with brass wire or similar as mine are certainly not in the stronger black resin

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mr T said:

This was my only kit purchase at SMW, and was a bit of an impulse buy. It is really well cast. My only reservation is the undercarriage struts. That thin section resin looks weak to me and I would be tempted to replace at least the main strut with brass wire or similar as mine are certainly not in the stronger black resin

Hello, just seen this. I actually felt the same about the legs when the castings arrived, and did ask CMR to use the black resin for the legs but for some reason they didn't. The black resin is actually tinted clear and is much more resistant to snapping, but does bend under weight.

I was fairly convinced the legs would not hold out but on my hurried test build they were fine. You don't need to add any nose weight, so the finished model is incredibly light when fully assembled. One of the wheel attachments is slightly off centre but this can be fixed by gentle heating and bending in the test fitting stage. 

Thanks,

Colin   

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update Colin. I am a little wary of resin undercarriage legs after a colleague had a very bad experience with them. I think the problem comes over time. I might still use a bit of rod because I am a pessimistic modeller. The overall kit is very nice and, dare I say it, looks cute. 

• Like 1